New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Tampa Fairgrounds/Casino

Fairfield Inn & Suites Tampa Fairgrounds/Casino
Ranked #44 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersGold level
“Very convenient to Ybor City & Fairgrounds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Nice clean hotel. Very close to fairgrounds. We were visiting Tampa to attend a cheer competition being held at fairgrounds. Also close to Ybor City which offers great nightlife. Friendly staff. Felt like a very safe area.

1 Thank Flfoodiegirl
FairfieldLiz, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Tampa Fairgrounds/Casino, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for all of your wonderful comments about our hotel and staff! I am beyond happy to hear that you had an excellent stay. We look forward to seeing you, should your travels bring you back to Tampa for another cheer competition!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Scott City, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The rooms are very nice. But being here on business and believing the front desk when they say they will take you to the convention center or anywhere within the six mile radius it is a lie. They have made me late every day. And flat out kept me waiting two hours one night which I finally took a cab. They never did come get us that night. So it is a very nice and comfortable place but the shuttle WILL NOT get u where or when you need to go. No apologies, somehow it's my fault. I'm not the one who keeps making promises that can't be made by staff. Too bad my whole view of the hotel is overwhelmed by this.

• 1 of 5 stars
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. I sincerely apologize for the problem you encountered with our shuttle. This is not your fault, and I understand how overwhelming this could be. Our shuttle is a complimentary service, that is based on availability, and we do our best to get our guests where they need to go as soon as possible. However, the timing can get off track sometimes due to the business we get, and I am very sorry that it made you late in this case. I can assure you that I will work on ways to improve this service. Despite the shuttle, I am glad your room was clean and comfortable, and I hope you will give us another chance, should your travels bring you back to Tampa.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We were told when we booked that there was a free shuttle that would pick us up and drop us off at the convention center downtown. That was why we chose this hotel. They dropped us off ok but when we tried to get a pick up they said 15 min. 30 min later no shuttle so we called back, they said we r on our way be there in about 10 min. No one came. We then found another couple waiting (who had called 30 min before we did)..... Five more phone calls were made , the hotel said "we are on our way 10 min or less" and two hours later we got a cab. The hotel then called us back finally and asked where we were because they were leaving to get us. TWO HOURS later and 5+ phone calls and they still hadn't even left the hotel!!!! Liars!

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
Thank you for your comment on your recent stay with us. I deeply apologize for all the issues with the shuttle. We offer this as a complimentary service, that is based on availability, within a 6-mile radius. This can cause a back-up sometimes, especially with special events in the area, but we do try our best to accomodate everyone as quickly as possible. I completely understand your fustration from waiting for a long period of time if they told you 10 minutes. I will certainly address this with my staff to make sure this does not happen again. Thank you once more for your feedback, as it is only the comments from our most valued guests that we can continue to improve!
Sebastian, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The staff was exceptionally friendly. The room was very small but nice and clean. The pool area and hot tub needed some attention. The water level in the hot tub was very low and it did need a cleaning. The pool just looked old and tired.There was a car in the fire lane with a flat tire, we were there for 2 nites and they finally moved it on the last day. It just does not give you a good feeling about how the hotel is managed.
The breakfast was great though and their coffee was the best I have had other than Dunkin Donuts!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank spnguys
Thank you for your response about your recent stay! I am very happy to hear that your room was clean, as it should be! I am sorry about the condition the pool and hot tub were in, and I will be sure to pass this along to our staff so we can avoid this in the furture. As for our associates, I will certainly thank them for doing a great job. Thank you again for your comments, as it is only with the feedback of our most valued guests that we can continue to improve.
Danville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The staff was very nice and friendly. Parking easy...once you found you way around the world to get to the hotel. The hotel is right next to the highway, so traffic noise is noticeable. The room was nice and clean, but a leaky toilet dripped, dripped, dripped all night.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback about your stay with us. I understand that the highway noise can be very noticable at times, but next time if you request a quiet room, we would be more than happy to do our best and put you on the parking lot side. Also, I do apologize about the toilet dripping and I hope you were able to sleep through the night. Anytime a problem in the room occurs, just let the Front Desk know and we can send up maintenance or switch you to a different room. I am very happy to hear that our staff was friendly, and we all hope to see you again should your travels bring you back to Tampa!
Coppell, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I don't stay at many Marriott brand hotels, so this review may not be accurate as other reviewers. There was a premature rush on the breakfast bar today/Saturday morning. Many gamblers and holiday people trying to squeeze cereal and milk from the employees working that area at 06:45 a.m. as opposed to waiting until the 07:00 a.m. opening. Stressful for the employees and some guests. Hotel should modify breakfast hours on this basis, say at 06:30 or even at 06:00. Breakfast selection not as generous as Hampton Inn although Hampton Inn was more expensive in Tampa area. My ground-floor room was clean with brightly lit alarm clock. Only coffee in room, no tea. I visited the fitness facility although I didn't use it this morning; the sign reads 24-hour guest access. I tested the elliptical and it works well enough despite that it is not a Precor brand. There are two treadmills and some free weights as well which I may use next week when I return there for a five-night stay. The only restaurants within walking distance are fast food places. The hotel's reception can provide listing of restaurants within driving distance; many within six miles of hotel. Receptionist was friendly. Area seemed reasonably safe. The hotel construction isn't of the highest quality; the walls are a bit thin and thus noises from other rooms are easily audible but the fan can be turned on easily to drown out the noise.

Room Tip: Hotel does not seem to be situated in a noisy area so I'm not certain room location is key for p...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Kwansaii
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I do apologize about the experience you had during Breakfast, however, 7am on Saturday and Sunday is the current standard opening time for Fairfield Inn. We are flexible on extending the hours depending on how busy it is. Also, beginning in April, we will be offering Hot Breakfast. I am glad that to hear that the staff was friendly and accomodated you with a list of restaurants within 6 miles, in which we do have a complimentary shuttle that goes anywhere in that distance. I see you came back for a 5-nights, and we appreciate all of your business! If your travels bring you back to Tampa again, please don't hesitate to contact me if there is anything I could do to make your stay better. Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you again!
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We were here on a gambling junket and thus had no car. Hotel provided transportation not only to the casino, but places within a 6 mile radius. Which means we were able to take in the Tampa Aquarium and lunch at the Columbia, (and gamble at the Hard Rock)
This hotel is clean to the point of being spotless. Our King room proved to be roomy, with a comfortable bed and crisp clean linens. Bathroom was also clean and modern. The hotel greeted us with a little reception upon our arrival. I had heard that the walls were thin from past reviews. We stayed on the 3rd floor near the elevator and I did not hear a thing. Quiet all around. The front desk was friendly and helpful, as was the shuttle driver. Our only problem was waiting for the shuttle at the Colombia. They had taken some people to the mall, and the traffic was terrible and took longer than expected. This was a wonderful property and next time I need a place to stay for a trip to Tampa. I would stay here. :) Also breakfast was nice and with two people working it, there was never a pause in service. Like the waffles too.

Room Tip: We stayed in 314. Quiet and near the elevator.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 stars
FairfieldLiz, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Tampa Fairgrounds/Casino, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you very much for providing feedback about your recent stay with us! Some of our famous 'Marriott Fairfield Promises' include: Make you feel welcome, Give you a room that is clean, fresh and reflects the highest quality standards and Give you the service that will make you want to return. I am delighted that our staff truly demonstrated these promises during your stay, as you described.

Thank you for choosing our hotel, we look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Tampa!