“If you like Hookers and Drug dealers...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Tampa Downtown

Motel 6 Tampa Downtown
Ranked #132 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
Tampa, Florida
“If you like Hookers and Drug dealers...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

For convenience of location we spent, just shy of a month, and close to $3000, in this high traffic area motel.
After moving roons from the back of the property to the front, it was a little easier to sleep without the door to the adjacent room being knocked on every 4-5 minutes for the 50 year old dealer to dispense his wears. I guess I could give him the benefit of a doubt, if I believed one person could have 60 or 70 grandchildren stopping to visit individually after 11pm every night. I however, don't have any doubt that the young African American kids who we walked past every night that said things like.. "you skrait?" Or " I got dat fire, yo", were dealing drugs.
The things we put up with to save a few dollars.
Oh yea, they charge $3.21 per night for wifi. There is more..I will get to it soon.

Room Tip: Stay Elsewhere
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
10 Thank Gilligans_Tiki_Huts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed here one night with a friend after driving from Miami. We arrived late and checked in without much consideration to the appearance of the building and location, we were tired after a four hour drive. After checking in, paying only $50 for a night, we were approached by a sheriff, wondering what two English girls were doing checking into this motel. We advised us not to check and gave us directions to several hotels and inns close by, too late, we'd already checked in. As it was late we decided to stay. The sheriff gave us a few tips, to put a chair in front of our door, not to open the door until the sun was up and to dial 911 if we heard anything suspicious or if anyone tried getting into our room. He then told us he will be patrolling the area until 3am, before driving off to park his car in the lot. Overall we didn't have a bad night, aside from staying in a filthy, stinky room with huge cockroaches, and people gathering around our rental car. I wouldn't stay here again if I was paid $50 to!

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Hannah312
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Even by Motel 6 standards, this place is very run-down and doesn't feel particularly safe however if you're looking for a low budget option near Busch Gardens / USF, just hold your nose, watch for your safety, and try to get a good night's rest in an old bed with holes in the linen. The bathroom looked clean enough and so I gave it a two star rating instead of one. Check-in was rather archaic; even though I completed the reservation via computer, they still wanted me to fill in a check-in card by hand. My impression was that the front desk staff were more use to unsavory clientele to match the poor condition of the facility. Also, Wi-Fi isn't free and you have to pay for it person at the front desk. Overall, can't really recommend this place unless you're going solo or sans kids, and/or your budget doesn't allow for more.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Yulee, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stayed here for the price and location. My room 208 had small bugs on the sink and smelled rotton. I requested my money back but didnt honor it, so they put me in a nother room, guess what still bugs. So I called the front desk and told them I would call the health dept and they hung up on me. So u folks think twice before staying here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank kopocon407
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Not a minute of sleep. Three buildings or parts of the building. The one in back is for prostitutes and drug dealers (at least on Friday). They put the handicap rooms in the section for prostitutes. Girls and their customers yelling all night. Fights break out. Afraid to go to the car to escape. Slob at front desk laughing about it in the am.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank shawnsstuff
Bradenton, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

Its spring break and many hotels were full. We got last room here at Motel 6. After reading reviews we almost did not want to even try. Im glad we did. The bed was really comfortable and i slept well. The things i look for in a room were great.... Cold a/c, hot water, good tv, close to 100's of restaurants and clean sheets. The staff sealed the deal for us. If you want a good stay you can get one here.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank CapnBlaine
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

We were in Tampa on a business/pleasure trip with our 2 Golden Retrievers and needed a pet friendly hotel. When we checked in, we were given very poor directions to the room by the front desk clerk and drove around repeatedly until we discovered we were in the courtyard rather than at the back of the hotel as told. (Please have the clerk show location on a map - not that hard! We had been driving for 2 days, so we can follow directions when given properly!) The room itself had a room freshener fragrance with a slight undertone of cat urine. By the middle of the night, the cat smell became much stronger. I told the front desk early in the morning, hoping something would be done about it. We left for a couple of hours and upon our return, we could not even enter the room because of the intense smell, so offensive to our olfactory senses that we had to wait outside for over 15 minutes with the door open just to be able to pack our stuff and GET OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!!!!! We are not overly particular, especially when using pet friendly properties, however this was unacceptable!!! Despite our complaints to the front desk, housekeeper and maintenance man, nothing was done. I was contacted by the Motel 6 chain to rate this hotel and as a result, received a poorly worded form letter from the General Manager, Mirian Moran to which I responded and as of yet, one week later, have not received a reply! Seems typical of the "I don't care" attitude of the property. I have not even broached the topic of questionable types hanging around the property at night!! STAY HERE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We moved to Travelodge Clearwater Central for 4 more nights and enjoyed it immensely! Was worth the drive back and forth to Tampa.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tampa
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#122 of 162 in Tampa
2.5 of 5 stars 40 reviews
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Tampa N - Busch Gardens Area
Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
La Quinta Inn & Suites USF (Near Busch Gardens)
Garden View Motel
Garden View Motel
#94 of 162 in Tampa
4.0 of 5 stars 8 reviews
La Quinta Inn Tampa Near Busch Gardens

Been to Motel 6 Tampa Downtown? Share your experiences!