“Handicap rooms in section for prostitutes and drug sales!”

Motel 6 Tampa Downtown
Ranked #115 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Not a minute of sleep. Three buildings or parts of the building. The one in back is for prostitutes and drug dealers (at least on Friday). They put the handicap rooms in the section for prostitutes. Girls and their customers yelling all night. Fights break out. Afraid to go to the car to escape. Slob at front desk laughing about it in the am.

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank shawnsstuff

Reviewed March 24, 2012

Its spring break and many hotels were full. We got last room here at Motel 6. After reading reviews we almost did not want to even try. Im glad we did. The bed was really comfortable and i slept well. The things i look for in a room were great.... Cold a/c, hot water, good tv, close to 100's of restaurants and clean sheets. The staff sealed the deal for us. If you want a good stay you can get one here.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank CapnBlaine
Reviewed February 29, 2012

We were in Tampa on a business/pleasure trip with our 2 Golden Retrievers and needed a pet friendly hotel. When we checked in, we were given very poor directions to the room by the front desk clerk and drove around repeatedly until we discovered we were in the courtyard rather than at the back of the hotel as told. (Please have the clerk show location on a map - not that hard! We had been driving for 2 days, so we can follow directions when given properly!) The room itself had a room freshener fragrance with a slight undertone of cat urine. By the middle of the night, the cat smell became much stronger. I told the front desk early in the morning, hoping something would be done about it. We left for a couple of hours and upon our return, we could not even enter the room because of the intense smell, so offensive to our olfactory senses that we had to wait outside for over 15 minutes with the door open just to be able to pack our stuff and GET OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!!!!! We are not overly particular, especially when using pet friendly properties, however this was unacceptable!!! Despite our complaints to the front desk, housekeeper and maintenance man, nothing was done. I was contacted by the Motel 6 chain to rate this hotel and as a result, received a poorly worded form letter from the General Manager, Mirian Moran to which I responded and as of yet, one week later, have not received a reply! Seems typical of the "I don't care" attitude of the property. I have not even broached the topic of questionable types hanging around the property at night!! STAY HERE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We moved to Travelodge Clearwater Central for 4 more nights and enjoyed it immensely! Was worth the drive back and forth to Tampa.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2011

Just Wiki East Tampa and you will get the idea. The curtains are filthy and have quite a few holes in them. It is right next to an expressway and all you hear is traffic 24/7. It isn't within walking distance of anything. If you are female guys are constantly honking their horns at you when you do venture out. What a nightmare

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank BrilliantBrunettte
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Looking for a budget hotel for a weeks stay in Tampa-I pulled in here to check the rates. I was immediately struck by the dirty and worn out appearance of the hotel. I know Motel 6 is not going to be elegant, but this was not even passable. Everything on the outside needed attention, cleaning, refurbishing. The people wandering about looked unsavory and not the type to make you feel safe at this hotel. When I was told they do not take pets at this hotel, I could only laugh--I wouldnt have allowed my dog to stay at this dump anyway---and I cant help but wonder what possible harm a pet could do that hasnt already been done to this awful place. Just down the road are much nicer hotels for comparable prices-go elswhere and save yourself a lot of trouble. The little extra cost int his case is well worth it, This is about the third Motel 6 I have found in a similar condition, and I wonder if the chain in general is going down in attention to things like cleanliness and upkeep. Motel 6 was always no frills, but was clean and respectable-this no longer seems to be the case.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank CaliforniaJacks_man
Reviewed May 19, 2010

Because of national chain recognition I stay at Motel 6 across the country. Usually for the price. THIS Motel 6 on Fowler needs some major attention (this is MY review) everyone may not agree. I stayed at this property for 2 nights my first night I was in Room 277 I immediately notices what appeared to be alot of activity in the parking area and a lot of people aimlessly roaming around. My first concern was my rental car in the parking lot. My second concern was people standing in open doorways watching what was going on ..I went into 277 and the first thing i saw turning on the light was a cockroach run under the TV, then notices a smashed cockroach in the corner of the TV table, then the dirty carpet and the shells of sunflower seeds under the TV table on the floor, the bed looked as though someone had sat on it and the didnt straighten the bedding afterwards. I wanted to leave. The second night I was moved to room 137. This was a little more clean but still very dirty carpet, but my rental car was right outside the door. This motel might be OK if you are single and traveling alone and feel really brave, but even at 53 years old I was very uncomfortable with the surrounding. The management didnt seem to concerned about my compalints. The remark I got was "This is Florida cockroaches are everywhere nothing we can do about it". The better like their roaches alot because they want have guests (or victims) at this rate.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank travelbymike
Reviewed November 30, 2009

Bugs in room, cigarette burns in bedclothes (common at Motel 6 I think, both stays had them – even though no smoking rooms. Bugs too on both occassions).

Had someone outside our room who offered us drugs as we returned to our room, then proceeded to wander around all night offering drugs to everyone. Could hear everything and didn't get much sleep!

The other Motell 6 I stayed in also smelt awful – damp rotton smell.

Cheap – but you can find other motels which are much better value for money. I personally will never stay at a motel 6 again but would rather spend the extra $20 a night for a holiday inn or even a days inn which is a motel too but a much nicer experience overall.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple