“DO NOT STAY HERE!!!! DIRTY!!!”

Red Roof Inn Tampa Brandon
Ranked #102 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed September 8, 2012

The room was dirty!!! mirrors dirty,carpet dirty,bathroom sink with old toothpaste!!
there was a old gum sticked on our bed.Lady at the front desk not very nice. Never again!! we will stay somewhere else next time there is a hampton inn and la quinta that look way better

Room Tip: there are others hotels around better hampton inn and la quinta
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
rri173, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Tampa Brandon, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Thank you for bringing to our attention the problems you encountered with our hotel. There is never an excuse for providing a valued guest, such as you, with anything less than a perfect experience.

We credit our success in the lodging industry to providing good services and quality accommodations at affordable prices. We appreciate your willingness to take time to let us know where improvement is needed so that we may continue to maintain our high standards. I apologize that this time we didn't meet your expectation and steps have been taken so it will not happen again. we hope you would give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

I had my mother book this location for me over the computer and paid up front. I was staying in Brandon, Tampa for a weekend seminar and was surprised by the people that seem to hang around this place. When I checked in the place didn’t seem that bad. The front desk was helpful and the place was busy with families all booking in as well. I thought at first glance it was a good place.
I was handed a key to a room on the third floor and as I walked up to it with only my small overnight bag I had several men, who did not seem to be with a party, watch me and even appeared to follow me for a short distance. When I walked into my room I had one of the men nock on the door trying to get me to come out. I was very nervous and was able to convince the man to leave. I called the front desk that seemed to have a protocol for this event already in place. They had me describe the man, not open my doors, and to call if it happened again, if it did they would tell the man to leave the hotel. I wanted a new room because I knew the man knew where I was at this point but the front desk would not help me.
My next experience was the night when I went out to get something to eat and as I came back to park I drove around the hotel trying to decide if I wanted to park on the East or West side. I noticed a man walking to the dumpster from his room on the East side, so I slowed down to let him walk past me. I decide I would park on the West side closer to my room and as I got out of my car I noticed the same man starting to walk toward me and my car. I felt there was no reason for this man to some around to where I was because the West side has no amenities, everything is on the East side and I saw him come out of his room from that side as well. I quickly rushed to my room up the stairs and noticed as I looked over the banister that the man was at the bottom of the stairs looking around. I went to my room and locked the door. I may be over thinking that situation but I think I have the right to be overly cautious after the first incident.
The next day I still got lots of stares as I came and left my room but tried to be go from my car and the room quickly whenever I had to leave it. On my last day I had the most uncomfortable interaction with what I guess was a hotel resident. As I left my room and walked to my car to check out, I noticed a man staring at me at the end of the hall watching me. I walked to the elevator and when I noticed the man walking toward the elevator as well. I didn’t want to be in a closed place with any one I didn’t know so I quickly walked down the stairs instead. When I reached the bottom I didn’t see anyone at first but then from around the corner the man was in front of me fidgeting with his pockets. I walked around him and then heard hi ask me if I knew what time it was. I told the time him but didn’t stop walking. Then he suddenly took a couple steps toward me and said “hey, can it hit you up, can I hit you up for a moment”. I told the man I had an appointment and had to leave. He then continued asking me “can I hit you up later”. I didn’t know what to do but I knew I was checking out, so I said sure and that made him walk away and stop pursuing me. I got into my car, checked out and left the hotel, never to return.
Along with what I would assume was being mistaken as a prostitute all weekend, the room wasn’t that great. My major complaint would have to be the floor. The floor was sticky especially around the bed. I didn’t want to think about why; though I have a good idea what it was : ( . I also saw an off red stain on the carpet near the bathroom; I told myself that it was hair dye, I hope. It too was sticky. The rest of the room seemed fairly clean. I think the floor needs a good cleaning then this place would have been better and much more comfortable. But seeing as how I had to walk across the floor all the time the sticky floor was always on my mind. Also the garbage cans in the hallways for two days where overflowing with garbage. Garbage was even on the floor, surrounding the garbage can.
I think this hotel is pleasing for people who are traveling in a group/family or if a male is checking in alone. But as a single female I just didn’t feel safe. I do think the staff is aware of the problem I came across and are trying to make the place safe. But I just wasn’t comfortable at this hotel and won’t likely ever return. I am writing this post just so that people are aware and can be safe when they book a hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank rachaelIowa
rri173, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Tampa Brandon, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Your safety and security is important to us. I have shared your online review with my employees and we will make effort to monitor the activity in the evening time. Currently our Inn and Florida in general is in its peak season where we are running a higher occupancy than other months throughout the year. We have many families, couples, and seniors, traveling down to Florida on their family vacations and stay at our Inn. Like you mentioned in your review our Inn has a very good reputation and we are considered a family orientated Inn. On the weekends we occasionally get the younger crowd in for concerts and the local state fair, but overall they are typically great guests to work with and have.

If you should even be back in our area again, if you wish to call me at 813-681-8484 ext. 102. I would like to assist you personally with your reservation.

GM & Owner, Shea Patel

Reviewed July 28, 2012

I have been staying out there for over 13 years. It's close to the mall, bars. The rates are really reasonable. I stay out there for different appointments and get togethers with all of my friends. It's really convenient for me. The staff treats me like family. The staff is always willing to help if I have a problem with my room. They are really friendly and always have a smile on their face to greet you with. I feel relaxed and invited when I stay there.

Room Tip: Try to get on the front side of the hotel- less noisy, hardly hear trafficc from interstate.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank LINDA J
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I have stayed here twice both times were good the 1st time I stayed i had a room on the 1st floor me and my fiance went to red lobster for dinner came back and our door was completly blocked by some loud seedy character we didnt want to complain so we just left and went to wal mart and came back and they were gone about 11 pm they came back and they were extremly loud and had their music blasting really loud from their cars.

I know its not the hotels fault so I cant hold that against them or lower their rating because of rude visitors. I just want people to know what to possibly expect if planning a trip.

My 2nd time was totally different we had a room on the 2nd floor it was so quiet and peacful that we decided to order food and just eat in. Their was a weird guy I guess he was a manager because he wasnt dressed like everyone else but this guy stared at me like he wanted to strangle me when I came to use the microwave he seemed easily irrated and like he didnt want to be botherd but he wanted to watch your every move (guess it was a racial thing) whatever the reason was it was just unplesent and creepy.

overall good hotel I will be back whenever I'm in town whice will be offten.. mostly because they take people that are under 21 when I do turn 21 I'm checking out the la quinta next door.

Room Tip: Dont stay on the 1st floor!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The room was nice, it was big, had a mini fridge. And it was big enough for me, my fiance and our for big dogs, ranging from 50 pounds to 100 pounds. The rooms were clean, and the front desk was nice and helpful

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 19, 2012

For $50-ish a night, this is a good value. The front staff was friendly, the room was clean, and the place was conveniently located for us. The only complaint we had was that the room smelled somewhat stale and like cigarette smoke, even though it was a non-smoking room. A little investigation showed us that the bathroom smelled like a nicotine factory; it seemed like somebody was in there smoking. We think the vent in there was tied to another room, because the smell would come and go at somewhat regular intervals. Seems like somebody was smoking in their bathroom, and the smell was coming through to our room. Other than that, no complaints about the property. My wife and I are not particularly fussy or demanding about hotels; if the room is clean and well-maintained, we're pretty much happy. We loathe paying a lot of money for a bed to sleep in, so this is a good value for us.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mathdaddy
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Three of us stayed at this property on June 8,m, 2012. We arrived to see a well kept property, the check in process was simple enough. I had booked the room though an online service. The Clerk at the front desk was very friendly. The reception area was clean and well lit. We were given our room keys to room 227, which was on the second floor and overlooking the pool. We easily found a luggage cart and headed for the room. One of the room keys would not work so we had to get another one. Once inside the room, I noted that it was clean and odor free. The beds looked fairly small, but were comfortable enough, nothing special about the sheets or bed spread. The bathroom and shower/tub area were clean and well maintained. The room was nice and cool.

I would recommend this property to any of my friends and family. for $53ish dollars a night, you get what you get. a clean, cool, safe and secure nights rest. When in this area I will stay at this Red Roof Inn.

Room Tip: Free Coffee in the Lobby
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Billysview
rri173, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Tampa Brandon, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us of your experience at our hotel. We are very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I have shared all your comments with the staff. Thank you again and hope to see you next time you're in town.

Shea Patel