“The worst ever, Do not waste your time & money.”

Saffron Indian Cuisine
Ranked #254 of 2,579 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We came in for a family celebration and were there for two hours while the restaurant was 90% empty. When we walked in, there was only one table occupied and I guess we should have known there was a reason for that. There was not an organized staff, fresh uniforms on their team members, no Lamb, no Fish or beer selections available. We asked for a beer listing and said they only had Bud Light in the bottle, but would go to the Shell gas station and get us what we wanted. The server/manager, were not sure who he was, told us we could bring our own beer or wine into the restaurant if we wanted to. My brother went to the Shell to buy a six pack of beer and brought it back to the restaurant. Is that legal according to their liquor license ?? The service was the worst ever and the food took over sixty minutes to get to the table. When half the meal was a bowl of rice with each entree, which was small, we were surprised to see our bill at $150.00 for nine people with no alcohol or appetizers and a mandatory 20% tip of $25.00 on the bill. A total of $175.00. Really?? This place will be out of business soon, and it will be a blessing for the people of Tampa when it goes under.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Very good food. I have been there twice, and would go again. The first time I picked up, the second I dined in. With the carry out, the people who worked there seemed rather rude, but the food was great. The second time I went the people were very happy.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

See the title! Always ask for my curry piping hot here since nobody can ever pull of a really spicy one, but this place proved me wrong. Had an 'Indian hot' Chicken Vindaloo and I was extremely impressed. It was a proper Vindaloo in proper sauce, and had proper shaped and textured potatoes. I have been to Indians in the States where the Vindaloo doesn't even have potatoes and looks and tastes more like a Masala (tikka).

The place is a little dingy and could do with a lot of interior work, the server/manager/son was a little reluctant to let us eat and originally told us they were shut when the three of us walked in at 9pm....9pm on a Wed night! Turned out they were open til 10, and he had probably been told that from his mum/owner in the back. It seems a family run place like many of them are.

The poppadums were slightly bland and the chutneys were also average, but the naan breads and the curries were all excellent. Reasonably/averagely priced also considering it's location in a notoriously wealthy area of Tampa.

Will be back next time I am visiting friends.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Don't be fooled by the somewhat cafeteria feel....the food will make you forget that. We had the chicken xacuti hot and as well as the Madras chicken with garlic naan and loved it. The spices were perfect and the heat was as expected, service was friendly and fast on a Sunday evening.

1  Thank KateMccarver
Reviewed July 30, 2012

It was by far the best Indian restaurant that we have found in Tampa. We arrived about 5:30 PM for dinner before the dinner rush. The service was fast and the food delicious. My wife and I both had the chicken curry, medium spicy. It was spicy enough for sure. There was so much that we took enough home for another meal. Although the restaurant was off the main drag, it was only just over a mile from our home. We already have plans to visit them again with friends and family.

Been to Saffron Indian Cuisine? Share your experiences!