“Loved it!”
Review of Big Cat Rescue

Big Cat Rescue
Ranked #4 of 197 things to do in Tampa
More attraction details
Owner description: Do you see yourself looking over the vast Serengeti plains, searching the horizon for a glimpse of a pride of Lions, or a Leopard lounging in the trees? Do you imagine yourself in India, riding an elephant through the high grass with your eyes peeled for the elusive Tiger? Have you ever thought how great it would be to hike through the rainforest, listening to the tropical birds, ever on the lookout for a Leopard or an Ocelot high in the canopy? Have you ever been to the zoo and wanted to be closer to the exotic cats; so close you could almost touch them? You don't have to spend tens of thousands of dollars to make these dreams come true. The world's largest accredited big cat rescue facility is right here in Tampa, Florida at Big Cat Rescue.
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I had a blast at the Big Cat Rescue! There are tons of cats there, and they are all very well cared for. They have huge cages, and they seemed happy which surprised me. Although I am not convinced that every private citizen that owns a big cat abuses them, it is nice to see that if something does happen that there is a place where big kitties can go. The only thing I didn't like was being rushed along on the tour. To be fair everyone on the tour was keeping up but me, but it ended up being a 1 hour and 15 minute tour instead of 1 hour and 30 minute tour, so I feel like I should have been given a few more minutes to look at the more active cats. Also, I am allergic to house cats, and I didn't realize that even being outdoors I would get allergic, so I would suggest keeping that in mind if you have a cat allergy. It is definitely worth the trip!

There are newer reviews for Big Cat Rescue

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Big Cat Rescue is the prime rescue facility in the USA. Located in Tampa they provide excellent treatment of their cats. They are in their natural habitats (or Cat-a tats as they call them). The tigers all have their own swimming pools! I always make this stop a priority for all of our visitors from out of state. Go to Biccatrescue.org for further information 0r make a donation. All donations are tax deductible.

1  Thank leeanne10
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I really enjoyed my time at Big Cat Rescue. Our tour guide, Denny, was very informative and an articulate, good guide. He was very clear about the mission of Big Cat Rescue and encouraged people to get involved. I thought the grounds very well-kept and the cats seemed well cared for. My only "complaint" is that after an hour and a half, I got "kitty overload." Thankfully, just as I was beginning to feel that way, the tour ended.

I think I will go back for the feeding tour the next time I am in Tampa!

Reviewed October 12, 2013

There should be no need for a place like Big Cat Rescue, if people would only realize that these animals do not belong in homes or petting zoos. The sad stories that bring the animals to this rescue operation have almost the same origins: people think exotic pets are necessary to their lifestyle. They ignore the needs of the big cats they adopt, try to breed, or use to create new life-forms. Visiting Big Cat Rescue not only opens ones' eyes to the beauty of these animals, introduced to a life as close to the natural one they should always have enjoyed but emphasizes the need for laws to prevent the import of exotic animals to the US.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

The tour was interesting, educational, and we got to see a lot of "big cats" (tigers, leopards, cougars, lynx, lions, etc). The focus is on rescuing animals from poorly kept facilities, owners who realize that they shouldn't be keeping the animal as a pet, and saving animals that might otherwise be destroyed. They are trying to rescue as many animals as possible, so they save money by using large pens made of wire fencing that sometimes makes it harder to see the animals. But most of the time we got a fairly good view, when the animals weren't hiding (with wild animals, you have to expect that). The volunteers leading the tours clearly love the animals and their work. You can feel good about supporting a place that is helping the cats, while having a good time.

1  Thank CRPhoenix

Been to Big Cat Rescue? Share your experiences!