“Great water park!”

Adventure Island Water Park
Ranked #28 of 197 things to do in Tampa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Located right across the street from Busch Gardens® Tampa, Adventure Island® is 30 acres of water-drenched fun in the sun featuring the ultimate combination of high-speed thrills and tropical, tranquil surroundings for guests of all ages. Within a soothing Key West atmosphere await slides, corkscrews, water falls, a wave pool, children’s water playground and other family attractions. Choose to race down rapids, dig your toes into the sand or relax all day in a private cabana. Hurtle high and experience a feeling of weightlessness on Colossal Curl™, Adventure Island’s newest family thrill slide.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed July 12, 2007

My 10 year old son and I visited Adventure Island on Sunday, July 8. We had a fantastic time. We got there just before they opened, got a locker and some chairs, and were good to go for the day. We caught the big rides first before the lines got too terrible, and then spent the rest of the day cliff jumping, fluming, hydrotubing, and floating in the lazy river. Adventure Island has done a great job of offering areas for little kids and big kids to play. The toddler section with all of the water fountains is great, as is the big kid area with lots of different colored slides, some of which go faster than the big flumes!

There were plenty of people there, but it's summer, so if you don't expect to deal with crowds in a water park during the summer, you might should consider a different type of trip. The food was great, no pricier than any other theme park (and cheaper than Universal), and it tasted GOOD. Especially the barbecued pulled chicken sandwich - just awesome.

I do recommend water shoes to walk around in, as there is of course a lot of wet concrete to walk on. You can wear the water shoes on all the rides, so it's no problem. I really like how there are multiple rock water falls that flow into streams that run throughout the park to walk in, sit in, play in, whatever you like.

Water Country USA in VA is still my favorite water park, but Adventure Island is really great as well, and I highly recommend it.

2  Thank Ellanora

Reviewed June 9, 2007

I am very surprised to read some of the negative reviews. Adventure Island is awesome. I love to got there with my son .. who was 3 last summer and we just bought another season pass for this summer. It is very clean and kept up and something for everyone. I love the lazy river. My son loves Splash Attack. There is clean white sand with "shallows" for the toddlers to play with their sand buckets. Yes, the food is over priced just like at most theme places. The chicken strip kids meal is Great. Really good chicken strips LOL. Comes with fries... served in a beach bucket with a little shovel. Last year if you bought a large drink you can use the same container all season and get refills in it for a discount.
It's a lot of fun. I guess I have been lucky going on "good" days. I have not encountered any rudeness whatsoever by staff. I also have not encountered any fighting or teenager problems.
I highly recommend this place. TRY it yourself, not based on a few negative reviews because if you like water parks this is a nice one!

5  Thank Lorriekay
Reviewed June 3, 2007

I go to Florida from Massachusetts once a year around the same time. This year I decided to drive down so I could enjoy some of what the area ot Tampa has to offer. I decided to go to one theme park and chose adventure island.

What I really wanted to do was enjoy the lazy river, even though the river was nice the kids would jump off and push people into the wall including me. No one said anything to the kids. This park should be enjoyable for kids and adults alike. I will never spend so much money to have such a rotton time again. I was not impressed with this park and would never recommend it to any one else.

I e-mailed the park and was told that I would recieve a return e-mail within 4 days. I have recieved nothing.

8  Thank kitkat363
A TripAdvisor Member
tampa , FL
Reviewed July 8, 2006

i went to adventure islands with my friend kyle last monday and it was great! we didnt stand in the lines to long because of it being a work day and most parents not being able to bring there kids to the park so there werent any long lines. i found that rip tide there new slide was very fun and that the carebian corkskrew was for thrill seekers and people who dont get motion sickness only! the rambling bayuo was very enjoyaable and relaxing after a long day of walking. on the downside was to many people in the endless surf, hot steps, and lots and lots of blisters. i had a blast but if u ever go DO NOT go bare foot! i had so many blisters the next day it was hard to walk! overall i rate the park a B+.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed May 29, 2006

We just recently went to adventure island, we figured why not since we live in the area. When we arrived it was packed, and packed with disrespectful young men. We would not even think of venturing in the wavepool because it was packed with adolescent [---] and the TPD(Tampa police department) prescence was heavy, needless to say 3 fights broke out in the wavepool within an hour and the police were arresting people as the exited the wavepool. Waiting in line for long periods and having kids cut the line was common throughout the park. The kids area was ok my kids had fun but i was very dissappointed for the 35.00 x2 we payed to get in for the day. Overall i would never go back stick to blizzard beach in orlando or find alocal swim club.

20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member