Open today: 9:30 AM - 6:00 PM
Review Highlights
Very fun but unsanitary

My family and I went to adventure island over the summer. It wasn’t crowded in the morning so that... read more

Reviewed December 1, 2018
alexthecrutic
Tampa, Florida
via mobile
Adventure Island

Very nice for young children. A little small in footprint but has nice features and slides. Staff... read more

Reviewed November 20, 2018
Shamudaddy
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Tampa
from $109.00
from $28.00
from $29.99
More Info
All reviews wave pool colossal curl great water park all ages vanish point chickee hut water shoes busch gardens water fun both parks shaded areas cool off park opens season pass older kids lots of fun super fun
Reviewed July 3, 2008

June 17, 2008
$39/adult and $36/kid on top the of the $10 parking adds up quick.
After you get through the gates make sure to bypass the locker rental ($8 and they pick your locker).
There are cooler restrictions (size) but would recommend packing a larger cooler in the car and a smaller one to bring in items (or just go out and eat in the car). Food there is a good variety, even healthy options were avialable but like all theme parks it does come at a cost.

The park itself is full of variety. Considering the park itself is like 30 years old it holds up pretty good. They do need some more changing facilities but they were adquate for the amount of people in there (don't plan on spending all day in there anyways).

Lounge chairs are at a premium there. Most people stack out their claim pretty early. Find a spot and plop down and never leave. Leave your valuables in the car. Most people don't bother your stuff but why encourage anyone?

The variety of slides and pools are pretty good and offer a lot for the kids. Mine, 7 & 5 (still needs a lifejacket at times), were able to go on every ride (height restrictions of 48 inches aren't enforced too strictly but my youngest is right at 46-47 inches so she squeaked by).

Slides, wave pool (9 minutes of waves 8 minutes off - big clock that counts down the time), splash parks (2) for the little ones, innertube rides for individuals and families, lots of tube slides. They are spaced out but still packed together close enough to run around to everyone's favorite.

The Lazy River is a great break-up of the day. Innertubes or not you can float around it as long as you want to. Misters and the constant splashing of the kids keep you wet enough to quelch even the hottest day (It was 92F on our day there).

Had trouble dragging the kids out at the end of the day.

Not the biggest or the best waterpark in the US but if you around Disney it is only a 75 minute drive from Orlando. Worth the trip and a nice break-up of a vacation.

6  Thank JBRZEZ
Reviewed June 27, 2008

We thought that Adventure Island Tampa was a great experience and value. We coupled it with Busch Gardens Tampa with the "Kid for A Day" pass. At Adventure Island there were plenty of chairs, clean bathrooms, lifeguards and ride options. The size of the park was ideal. (I thought that Disney's Blizzard Beach was mammoth.) The map was thorough and helpful. We opted not to use the $8 lockers. We brought in some cash and kept it unsupervised with our other belongings. (All were left untouched). The gift shop does sell water "safe" necklaces for $5 that you can wear, store your license/credit card/money and I believe they can float. We were able to bring in coolers and food (the coolers need to be no bigger than 15"x15"). The patrons were polite and safe (and well inked). The park was very clean - in and around the water. Each ride was well marked with height requirements and where to enter. The only thing that would make this better is a Busch Hospitality House!

4  Thank mobarry
Reviewed June 18, 2008

We visited Adventure Island the week of June 10th-14th 2008. The reason we went there because we also went to Busch Garden right across the street. We thought it would be fun to swing over to the water park after a hot day walking outside. To our surprise the water park was so crowded and the pools were so dirty. I saw debriefs(sp?) all over on the bottoms of the wave pools and in the lazy river. The changing room's floor was wet and gross and there were only 4 shower stalls, so we had to wait for others. We brought unlimited access tickets and could have gone more than two times but decided not to come back after the second time. We had gone to the Wisconsin Dells water parks in the past few years which are very clean and very organized. They even provide clean towels for anyone that needs them. None of that at Avendture Island!! It grossed me out to look down in the pools and saw little black and stringy "things" everywhere. I wasn't sure what they are and it made us wondered what is actually in the water. It was a total waste for the unlimited tickets we paid for the whole family.

5  Thank hofamily
Reviewed May 4, 2008

Our friends and their 3 year old and our 3 year old have tons of fun at Adventure Island. There are so many choices of water slides for children and adults. Kids areas and wave pool. Our 3 year olds ask to go every weekend.

2  Thank SunFunFLorida
Reviewed April 13, 2008

We visited Adventure Island in April 2008. It was on a Saturday after Spring Break, so it wasn't a peak period, but it was on the weekend. Overall, my wife, 6 year old son and I had a good time.
We didn't arrive at the park until close to 1 pm and the park was open until 6. Five hours seems to be a long time, but that was still not enough time to get to all the rides that we wanted to go on.

There are a variety of rides for all age groups. Our son could go on all the rides, even some rides that I thought he might be too young for. The wait in line was never more than 10-15 minutes, though we did avoid a few lines that seemed they would be longer. What was nice is that lines for different rides were somewhat close to each other. As a result, if you walked to a ride and the line was "too long" (can you hear my six year old?), you could quickly walk to another ride where the line was not quite as long.

My wife really enjoyed the lazy river, and my son enjoyed the wave pool (Endless Surf) and the splash zone (Splash Attack). As for me, I liked some of the taller slides, though I didn't go on many due to the time element and the family wanting to be on the more relaxing rides. The Wahoo Run was pretty fun and both my son and I went on the Everglides and had fun. Our family also enjoyed Aruba Tuba. It is a ride where two people could ride on the same tube together, which was good for my son since he was a bit apprehensive about the taller rides at first. We spent a good amount of our time by the Runaway Rapids, which is an area made up of five rides in close proximity to each other. A good variety with minimal walking between the rides.

The food was not bad. While a bit pricey (our lunch for three was about $30), the amount of food was adequate to fill you up. Also, there are multiple banks of lockers throughout the park. Where you rent your locker keys, you can request a locker in a specific bank. I would recommend the bank by Endless Surf and Mango Joe's Cafe. It is centrally located which makes it convenient.

If we were disappointed in one thing, it was the park's staff desire/ability to provide help when needed. We "misplaced" our son at one point (no we did not lose him, we misplaced him). The first couple staff people we approached for help seemed relatively disinterested in helping. The first appeared to be younger (potentially high school age), so I guess to a certain extent I can understand him not understanding our concern. The second set of people were a bit older, so I expected more from them. However, we still didn't sense any level of concern. Finally, the third person we asked knew where our son was and took us to him immediately. Three women had him sitting behind a counter eating an ice cream. They had taken good care of him.

If the opportunity arises, we will definitely come back. The park was pretty clean and there is a variety of things for all ages. I agree with another reviewer. Get there early and enjoy!

4  Thank Frank_GMichigan