“Amazing Zoo”

Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo Admission
Ranked #8 of 198 things to do in Tampa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Tampa’s Lowry Park Zoo is home to more than 1300 animals and famous for having one of the most beautiful, tropical zoological settings in the world. The Zoo brings together animals and visitors to create unforgettable, natural connections. Guests get closer to wildlife than ever before by touching a giant tortoise, feeding a giraffe, getting nose-to-horn with an Indian rhino, hand-to-fin with slippery stingrays and more! Families can also splash in water play areas, feel thrills on rides and take in educational shows. Love manatees? The Zoo is the only place in Tampa where guests can see Florida manatees year round. At the David A. Straz Jr. Manatee Hospital, the Zoo’s veterinary and animal-care staff treat sick, injured and orphaned manatees, and return them to the wild after rehabilitation. The Zoo also cares for the most diverse group of Florida wildlife anywhere, and has won numerous awards for animal preservation.
Reviewed April 11, 2014

I cannot say enough good things about the Tampa Lowry Park Zoo. My husband and I were at the zoo from open to close and we still didn't get to do everything. The value you get for the price of the tickets is unbelievable. The grounds and animals are well kept, the staff was very nice. We will definitely be back!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,242)

Reviewed April 11, 2014

You should plan on a full day out here to fully experience everything. There are signs saying that outside food and drink are not allowed but I would say sneak some in as the prices for food and drink are really expensive and they had one restaurant closed for a private party so there was limited places to get a bite to eat.
The admission prices are a bit high but worth the price for a full day out and the fact that some of the mechanical rides were included in the price. There was a sealion show on whist we were visiting which cost an additional $2 per person the show was good but the admission including use of two inflatable slide things which once inside after paying the $2 each we were told that they were closed due to high winds, this was a big disappointment to my 5 year old and I think they could of told us of this beforehand or lowered the $2 price.
There are some great experiences to encounter the animals up close and personal like having a picture with sealions and the sealions either rest on your head or shoulder and feeding giraffes amongst others. Of course there is a charge for this and they take pictures to try to get you to purchase them which can be pricey but all the money raised goes back into the zoo. Overall it was a great day out with some experiences you could only get there but I would say I was a bit disappointed with the safari ride. I found it a but dull and boring and sometimes difficult to see the animals and my husband who was in his mobility scooter and had said he was happy to transfer was actually put on the ramp and made to stay in his mobility scooter which meant he couldn't see anything on the safari as he had a big ramp in his way. This matter needs addressing. I think they should allow you to take your own food and drink and have a little picnic area for you to eat in as most places do this and I was supprised to see the zoo didn't

Reviewed April 6, 2014

This is a perfect sized zoo for spending a couple of hours without feeling beat up at the end of the visit. Enclosures were very natural and taken good care of, the animals seemed happy and at ease.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

We brought our 2 kids 8 and 2 yr old. The map was a little confusing to me at first but after 30 minutes or so we got the hang of it. The layout was great for our kids and would have been better if we had the stroller but our stubborn 2 yr old wanted to walk. Our favorite part was the whole area devoted to monkeys and we were able to see them feeding some which was a treat for the kids. The Africa exhibit was also great and it was nice being able to see the animals up close, more than in some places. The kid play area was unexpected with water fountains/sprinklers, roller coaster, and other carnival type rides that were free with admission. The food was awful and overpriced. We stuck with coffee ice-cream and soft pretzels. Overall awesome experience and fun was had by all

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Designed to give you the best and up close experience with the animals. The animals are contained in very natural environments, thus they seem very relaxed and active. The "safari trek" is a must. It is an eighteen minute ride thru the "plains" of Africa with an expert narration about the animals. Several mechanical rides throughout the zoo are included in the admission fee. Manatee Cove is especially wonderful. You are able to watch the manatees underwater and also from an above water viewing area. No it is not a big zoo, but what it lacks in size is compensated by quality.

Been to Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo? Share your experiences!