“One of the BEST zoos ever!”

Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo
Tampa TRIO Pass with Attractions: Aquarium Zoo and Museum
Ranked #8 of 197 things to do in Tampa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Tampa’s Lowry Park Zoo is home to more than 1300 animals and famous for having one of the most beautiful, tropical zoological settings in the world. The Zoo brings together animals and visitors to create unforgettable, natural connections. Guests get closer to wildlife than ever before by touching a giant tortoise, feeding a giraffe, getting nose-to-horn with an Indian rhino, hand-to-fin with slippery stingrays and more! Families can also splash in water play areas, feel thrills on rides and take in educational shows. Love manatees? The Zoo is the only place in Tampa where guests can see Florida manatees year round. At the David A. Straz Jr. Manatee Hospital, the Zoo’s veterinary and animal-care staff treat sick, injured and orphaned manatees, and return them to the wild after rehabilitation. The Zoo also cares for the most diverse group of Florida wildlife anywhere, and has won numerous awards for animal preservation.
portland oregon
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“One of the BEST zoos ever!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Fun rides, close to animals, hardly anyone there. My three kids, ages 13, 7, 4 all had a great time. My husband, mother & I also enjoyed the wide variety of animals, the safari ride, petting the sting rays & feeding the giraffes. This was a great place!

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Homosassa, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“lowry park zoo”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

the zoo was very neat. there were two baby elephants and some african penguins, which i never knew existed. there are a few rides, most for little kids, but some for older kids and adults. the roller coaster is small and rough, but hey, it is a zoo.

Cayman Islands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“OK, but not sure we would visit again.”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Some of the big animals had barely anywhere to run around. Our 3 and 5 year old really enjoyed this zoo, but I left there feeling a little sad for its inhabitants.

Knoxville, Tennessee
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Best Zoo I Have Ever Visited”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

It takes a lot for me to give a 5 Star review but Lowry Park Zoo did it! My fiance and I love animals so any new city we vacation in we try to visit the zoo. I have to say this is the best one we have been to yet. We spent over 2 hours going through the exhibits, then as we were about to leave we realized we had not even been to the other half. It started to pour down rain right after we realized we had not saw part of the exhibits and it rained for over 30 minutes while we waited it out in the snack bar area (that's how bad we wanted to see the rest) but finally decided to leave since the rain wasn't letting up. There were multiple school buses on this visit but we did not fit smothered with kids running everywhere so I think the zoo is laid out well. It was so much fun getting to touch/feed the stingrays and feeding the birds, among everything else we got to see. I would recommend this zoo for all ages. Definitely a must go if you're in the area.

Visited July 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“This Zoo is a MUST see !”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I had been away and living in another part of the state and had not visited Lowry Park Zoo since the early 90's when my children were small. In the early 90's the zoo was small, quaint and maybe took about 1 hour to tour. I re-visited Lowry Park Zoo last week and what a surprise!

Lowry Park Zoo has an abundance of outdoor exhibits of more than 1,500 animals from Florida. Other habitats include a Native Florida Wildlife Center and manatee hospital, Asian Gardens, Primate World, Free-Flight Aviaries ( birds galore! ), Wallaroo Station children's zoo, and Safari Africa which is a Safari train ride ( included in admission ).
The Zoo also features rides, shows and hands-on interactive exhibits.

They have a children's water-play area with children's rides that is very well planned for wee one's day long enjoyment.

At the time of this review the admission is : Adults $24.95
Children (3-11) $19.95
and Seniors ( 60 + ) $19.95

It will be the best money spent on a Florida attraction in a while ( it was for me...)
By Parents Magazine it's rated the #1 BEST ZOO in the U.S..

Lowry Park Zoo is a daytrip you or your children won't soon forget!

1 Thank Laura R

Been to Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo? Share your experiences!