“Great Entertainment”

Book In Advance
More Info
$64.50*
and up
Tampa TRIO Pass with Attractions: Aquarium, Zoo...
Ranked #23 of 140 things to do in Tampa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: ZooTampa at Lowry Park is home to more than 1300 animals and famous for having one of the most beautiful, tropical zoological settings in the world. The Zoo brings together animals and visitors to create unforgettable, natural connections. Guests get closer to wildlife than ever before by touching a giant tortoise, feeding a giraffe, getting nose-to-horn with an Indian rhino, hand-to-fin with slippery stingrays and more! Families can also splash in water play areas, feel thrills on rides and take in educational shows. Love manatees? The Zoo is the only place in Tampa where guests can see Florida manatees year round. At the David A. Straz Jr. Manatee Hospital, the Zoo’s veterinary and animal-care staff treat sick, injured and orphaned manatees, and return them to the wild after rehabilitation. The Zoo also cares for the most diverse group of Florida wildlife anywhere, and has won numerous awards for animal preservation.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We really enjoyed out visit to the Lowery Park Zoo in Tampa. Even though it was quite hot and very humid, most of the animals were out and active. The arrangement of the zoo allows you to stay out of the sun in lots of areas--good for those of us who are older. The walk was easy and there were multiple places with air conditioning so we never got overheated. We did not try any of them, but there are several rides for children and parents--a very nice addition to the zoo experience. We have visited many zoos and this had some animals we had not seen--like the shoe-billed stork. We also loved watching the baby Indian rhino. We would certainly recommend this zoo to people of all ages.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,512)
All reviews
in 116 reviews
"roller coaster"
in 65 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Visited this zoo on a Saturday afternoon. Was expected a great experience based on what I had read but I did come away a bit disappointed.

Exhibit areas need some work, very few animals overall in a number of the areas and I felt like I was walking in a park without animals. More animals are needed and updates to the exhibits as well as the animals I did see looked stressed. Food also is bad, not many options and up until visiting here I always said Aquatica had the worse food, not anymore!

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I found the Lowry Park Zoo to be very average. Its pricey compared to other zoos I've been to in other states and really not as nice. I was mostly disappointed that there was nothing written about the animals anywhere. I like to know where the animal is from, what it eats...
Also, none of the food kiosks were open so we were starving by the time we left the zoo.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

very nice zoo. We went on military free day. Eat before you come.....food is expensive. Also I would suggest going on a nice cool day. We were miserable that day it was 100. I also suggest bathing suits and bring a towel. I had no idea there were water rides and splash areas

See more reviews
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have lived in SW Florida for 24 years and have never been to this zoo. I had a couple days off from work so me and the hubby drove 2 hours north to visit the Lowry Park Zoo. Upon first entering the zoo, it reminded me a little bit like going to Disney's Animal Kingdom with how their signage was. The admission price was typical for a zoo. Very clean. Staff very polite. It was muggy, but mostly cloudy so the sun was not beating down on us, which we greatly appreciated. The attractions were great. Saw tons of animals. You have to see the Orangutans. Hilarious. One was sleeping with a box over its head and another came up and stole it. Too cute. The Chimpanzees were interesting as well. Very loud. The animal enclosures seemed quite large. The park map is a bit confusing at times. I loved the Stingray touch tank. My husband and I love sea life and I thought it was a nice touch. Aviary was very cool and colorful. Meerkats were pretty neat too. We spent a little over 2 hours. We didn't see petting zoo or any shows. Just couldn't take the heat anymore. Clean Restrooms. Very nice park.

1  Thank Amber G

Been to ZooTampa at Lowry Park? Share your experiences!