“Great Little Zoo”

Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo Admission
Ranked #8 of 198 things to do in Tampa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Tampa’s Lowry Park Zoo is home to more than 1300 animals and famous for having one of the most beautiful, tropical zoological settings in the world. The Zoo brings together animals and visitors to create unforgettable, natural connections. Guests get closer to wildlife than ever before by touching a giant tortoise, feeding a giraffe, getting nose-to-horn with an Indian rhino, hand-to-fin with slippery stingrays and more! Families can also splash in water play areas, feel thrills on rides and take in educational shows. Love manatees? The Zoo is the only place in Tampa where guests can see Florida manatees year round. At the David A. Straz Jr. Manatee Hospital, the Zoo’s veterinary and animal-care staff treat sick, injured and orphaned manatees, and return them to the wild after rehabilitation. The Zoo also cares for the most diverse group of Florida wildlife anywhere, and has won numerous awards for animal preservation.
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Took our 3 year old. Very well planned & laid out zoo. Plenty of hands-on for the little ones. Enjoyed our day here tremendously. Extremely affordable as well.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,247)

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We really enjoyed our day at the zoo. We appreciated that it is a smaller zoo so there was less walking required than at some larger zoos. It is a very attractive zoo, with lovely vegetation. A bonus is the fact that they let you in for half price if you have a current membership from another zoo!! We caught a few of the keeper talks and found them to be very interesting. One thing we did not like was the fact that they have signs up saying that you are not allowed to bring in outside food. But since the parking lot (free) is so close by, it was no problem to go back out and have our picnic in the car and then return. This zoo has many areas where you can get close to, and even touch, animals. It would appeal to all age groups. Recommended.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I absolutely love zoos and this was a great one. There was a lot to see but unfortunately because of a special event that night (Boo at the Zoo) the park was closing a little early so we weren't able to see it all. But despite that, what we did get to see was very enjoyable. We really enjoyed the day and got lots of great pictures. I pet a rhino, fed a giraffe and had birds land on me (Lorikeet Landing) which was beyond WAY COOL! In the Lorikeet Landing, you can buy some nectar that attracts the birds to you. They'll land on you and eat out of the paper cup. I didn't buy any of the nectar but the birds still landed on me. Next time, I will buy the nectar because you'll have a whole bunch of birds landing on you. This zoo has a lot for everyone, young and old (I'm 43 and really enjoyed myself).

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I think a lot of people overlook the fact that we have such an excellent zoo here in Tampa - probably because there's so much to do in town. Regardless, you won't reget making time to swing by Lowry Park. Their fundraising event throughout the year are always top notch too.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Of course the animals were all interesting, but I would like to share that the walkways are even and easy to navigate, moving from one area to another is very smooth - no backtracking needed. One highlight was touching the stingrays, another was the giraffe enclosure.

Been to Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo? Share your experiences!