“Way below expectation !” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Tahitian Inn Hotel Cafe & Spa

Tahitian Inn Hotel Cafe & Spa
Ranked #88 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Oregon
“Way below expectation !”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We selected this hotel based on the Tripadvisor reviews, the lack of carpeting and close proximity to the Tampa Airport.

The room we were assigned was number 144. It had the potential of being really nice however, the floors were so filthy that the bottoms of our travel slippers were "black", the refrigerator in room gets "cool" not cold and the bed had to be very old. It was undoubtedly the most uncomfortable bed we have ever had. We actually ended up putting the comforter on the tile floor and attempting to sleep on it. Needless, to say it was a very long night. Upon check-out I notified the front office. I was informed that the manager would not be in until afternoon. I asked that my message be relayed. We never heard from management but when we arrived home we had a Thank you for staying with them ?

Room Tip: I would never book this hotel unless I actually talked with a hotel representative and knew the assi...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank Babette

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
loves to travel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

My family (2 adults, 2 children) stayed at the Tahitian April 2014 before a cruise. We chose this hotel because they offered the park and cruise package so we could leave our vehicle at the hotel for the week. It was less expensive than paying to park at the port.
Reservations were made easily by phone. We booked a non smoking queen cabana room.

The good: At check in we were upgraded to a cabana suite (due to overbooking). We also signed up for the shuttle to the port. The times left were 10am and 1pm. We did the 10am. Clerk was efficient but not that friendly/welcoming. Lobby was nice and outside entrance area was clean and looked like pics on their website. Pool area was clean and had a great bar area. Pool, we thought it was supposed to be heated, was cold and we didn't use it during our stay as a cold front had came through.

We loved our room. Bathroom was clean and had a large sink area separate from tub/toilet area and the small soaps and shampoos smelled great. The sleeping area was divided by a quaint divider. There was a sitting area with couches, a small table w/chairs and a tv on one side and the two beds and another tv on the other. My children used the WiFi. It worked fine. No problem at checkout the next am. Hotel seemed to be in an ok area and we weren't concerned about leaving our minivan in the parking lot for the week. Shuttle showed up on time and we were the only ones on it going to port. There is a trailer attached to the van for the luggage. Fast and efficient and driver was very friendly. 10am turned out to be perfect. (We arrived at port and gave our luggage to the porter and made way inside. We were on the ship by 11/11:30.)

The bad: We were told when we got off the cruise ship to meet in the pickup area and call the hotel and driver would come. As soon as our cruise was over and we arrived back into port I called the hotel and we were told it would be about 30min. No problem. BUT, 45min. later we are still in the parking deck. STANDING. There were no benches and nowhere to sit so if you are unable to stand for long periods of time you might want to rethink this hotel package. I called the hotel back and the lady assured me he was on his way. The shuttle arrived. It has been an hour wait at this time. 2 groups of folks head toward the shuttle and the driver tells my family we might have to wait for him to come back. I let him know we had been there for an hour. The group we were standing beside hadn't even called the hotel b/c we had talked to them while we were waiting. There were 2 seats left but the people on the bus said they'd make room (yea, nice of ya since we actually called the shuttle) and a child sat on my lap and we made it on. After we got going the walkie talkie goes off and we hear the front desk lady ask if he got "" (my family) yes, he says, I got them all. Barely.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank sam_from_nc
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed here because of shuttle going to cruise terminal.Had wonderful dinner at restaurant night before.Food and service was absolutely worth the price.Would definitely stay here again.Would recommend to friends.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ibdaman
Vestal, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

My wife and I selected this hotel because they had free shuttle service from the air port and to the cruise port.

The shuttle showed up at the airport fairly promptly after I called the hotel and stated we had arrived, had our bags, and found the pick up location.

The hotel lobby is a little small and can become congested fairly easily. The desk staff was very helpful. Jean went out of her way to get us information we needed.

The hotel elevator is a little on the small side, so we decided to carry our bags up the stairs instead of trying to jam the elevator.

This hotel is pet friendly, which doesn't matter to us, but if somebody has allergies, just beware.

The room was good sized with two beds. The floors are tile, to help with pets, the floor could have been a little cleaner. Our white socks picked up a lot of dirt.

The bar is good sized and the dining room is part of the bar. Sybyl (sp?) was very good, she also served as our dining room server that evening and then again in the morning.

There is a bar buy the pool plus you can order meals there.

If you want to stay in, the menu is better than most hotel dining rooms and not too expensive.

We signed up for the shuttle to the cruise port when we arrived and the morning the van was there pulling a covered trailer to make sure they had room for bags without overcrowding the van.

Room Tip: There is a Chick-fil-a next door.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Terry S
Lehigh Acres, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

I was searching online for a nice hotel to relax over the weekend and it had to be pet friendly. So I decided to stay at the Tahitian Inn. On our arrival very friendly staff greated us. First thing I had to sign the pet agreement - $50 is too much. They should advertise that fee in their listing. The entrance hall, the restaurant as well the rooms were really nice. No complain. The bed (mattress) too soft. But I booked the room because of the nice pool area to relax. So we went to the pool and 2/3 of the pool area was closed for a private party. So we "relaxed" on one pool recliner. And it was pretty loud. Next day in the morning it was not too bad. We left at noon for some sight seeing and came back at 4pm to enjoy the pool area again. It was overcrowded with people and children Pool was full of toys. The were jumping, screaming, shouting and splashing and I was scared to go into the pool especially with my older mother. Nobody said a word - not the parents as well not the staff. There were signs: No jumping, but nobody did care. The staff only was busy selling drinks and food at the bar. For a kindergarten holiday a perfect spot but not for people over 35 years.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

I found this hotel online because I was traveling with my dogs and it was listed as pet friendly. After reading somewhat mixed reviews, I booked this hotel for a two day business trip and proceeded with caution. When I arrived, the front desk staff was very friendly and the hotel was well appointed. I was given a room with both a balcony as well as a jacuzzi tub just upstairs from the lobby. The room was clean, nicely decorated and the bed was very comfortable. The noise from the street and the air conditioner in the room was pretty bad, but the biggest complaint that I have and the reason for only an average rating was that this was a business trip and the "Free Wi-FI" did not exist. According to staff, it's a Brightstar issue that is being "taken care of", according to the other reviews, this is an ongoing problem. Either way, I had to check out early and pay for another hotel just to get some work done. Not cool.

Room Tip: Don't stay in main building if you are a light sleeper. Lots of noise from the street and Chick...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

We stayed at the Tahitian Inn in February 2014 and enjoyed our stay. The hotel is located relatively close to the Yankees training facility, so it was an easy drive for us to attend spring training games. There are bars and restaurants in the Hyde Park area which is a nice walk or very short cab ride from the Hotel. We needed to use our rental car to get to places like Ybor City and parks of downtown Tampa, but overall, we were happy with the location.
The food is alright. We ordered an appetizer at the bar one night, and it's nice that they have it right on site if you need a snack. The drinks were delicious and served poolside.
Everyone who worked at the hotel was kind and friendly. The rooms and pool were kept in very clean condition. Our room was spacious, and there was free parking onsite (definitely a value as most of the hotels we looked at charged an astronomical valet parking fee). We had the opportunity to talk to other guests when we were at the pool, and it never felt too crowded. Our room came with a free microwave and mini fridge. There's an A&P about a 3 minute drive down the road. We kept breakfast items and wine in our room to save us some money.
I wish the pool bar had been open on weekdays. We would've loved to hang out there and have a few drinks before heading off to dinner. We also disliked that guests were allowed to smoke at the pool and the pool bar. It seemed like there was always someone smoking.
Overall a great value. We stayed here for a few nights and the Marriott Harborside for a few nights. Two completely different experiences, but because of the value, we'd pick the "homey, family-owned" Tahitian Inn over a large corporate chain. It was worth it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple