“Great value, very helpful staff”

Tahitian Inn Hotel Cafe & Spa
Ranked #93 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Atlanta, GA
“Great value, very helpful staff”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed for a couple of days before our cruise, taking advantage of the free parking and shuttle to the cruise port. We found the rooms to be very comfortable, especially for the low price we paid. The restaurant is adequate, as was the spa. Neither was outstanding, but both were decent values. Where the hotel really stood out, though, was the very helpful staff. It has been a long time since I have encountered such genuinely enthusiastic and helpful people. It's an older hotel, definitely "old Florida," but everything worked, and everything was clean. For the money, a great deal. The location is not picturesque, but it was convenient for picking up last minute things for the cruise. We definitely would stay there's again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Debbie B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Pinellas Park, Florida
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This place is like a person with two faces. Parts are updated and could be called "Tahitian". While some parts are old and really need some fixing up. Essentially the common areas are nice, and the rooms are not. The bathroom is dated, and there is no ventilation\heat\air in there. The mattresses are TERRIBLE, rock hard. They have a duvet, but instead of a cover, they have a flat sheet on top and on bottom, so everything slides everywhere. You could hear everything out in the walkways in front of the rooms. At least I didn't hear too much from the other rooms beside us.
The cafe is nice, with a waterfall and coi pond. Quite relaxing. Prices are what you'd expect at a place like this. $10.95 for an omelet with sides. They do not offer any free breakfast for guests. The pool was very large and had a very deep end. There are a bunch of areas for seating, with lounges and chairs, both covered and not. The pool bar has decent prices, $4 for a 16 oz beer. There were a lot of children around the pool, so its not very peaceful. I wish I had brought my music player with ear buds to drown it out. They play XM radio, but they don't always choose the best station. The pool and bar are local friendly, and it seemed almost everyone there was a local.
Overall, this was a decent place. The cafe and pool and bar made up for the room. I will be back (as a local) just for that. I don't think I'd stay overnight here again unless I knew they changed the mattresses.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank TampaJules
Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

Following the strong reccomendation in our guide, we decided to try it. We did not find anything so special, then the staff at the reception: very nice and helpful. The room is quite big but nothing special. There is a swimming pool next to the parking. The hotel is located in a busy street with commercial restaurants. You need the car to go to Tampa's interesting places.

• Stayed August 2012
Dix Hills, New York
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The Tahitian was perfectly located for what I needed to do. Visit Univ. of Tampa and attend a USF football game at Raymond James Stadium. I asked for a quiet room. I got ground floor by the pool and ice machine. Motel styled accomodations...Room had hairs in bathroom. Room looked clean otherwise. I was drawn to the pool, Tiki style. I enjoyed day at pool as people visited me...and ate biscuits and gravy with grits! Yum! Breakfast burrito, BLT's and chicken salad wrap with cranberries were good as well. Frozen drinks poolside were delicious and a welcomed way to cool off! Staff was accomodating and friendly. Its a basic motel room. Nothing fancy or special. Take it for what it is...Tiki feel did it for me. I did not check out the spa.

Room Tip: Ask for something quiet....maybe you will get lucky.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I was down in Tampa for the business and was put up at the Tahitian Inn. What a treat. The staff were ridiculously accommodating, the rooms large and clean, and the "Tiki Bar" a welcome retreat after a hard day. My work hours were not exactly what you would call standard-- I was leaving the hotel at 2:30 each morning and returning around 3pm-- and my room was right above the pool and bar. After the first night I told the bartender of my situation and he made sure to keep things quiet when he knew I was trying to sleep. All in all it was a great experience and I would recommend it to anyone visiting the Tampa area.

Room Tip: If you are not in need of an adjoining room try and get one without the door in between rooms as the...
1 Thank Slilights
Avalon, NJ
Reviewed September 1, 2012

seems to have had a recent renovation, Upgraded and new Tiki Bar at the Pool . same very pleasant staff, Still great food, great Bar and "Susan" is terrific. Just Do not ask her to change the radio station ! The owner goes out of his way to meet and greet. I will return on every trip to Tampa. Reasonably priced and fun place.

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 28, 2012

So, it's 1:07AM and I've never left a review before but felt like I had to do it. I'm awake, in a room at the Tahitian Inn, the only room available apparently so if I don't stay here I'll be sleeping in my car- though right now that seems like a great option because I'm too afraid to sleep... That's right folks, I'm terrified. The room reeks, musty, gross, not sure what it is. There are questionable black dots on the comforter of the other double bed in my room and I keep imagining things crawling on me. The toilet is old and doesn't flush properly, the hallway to get to the door to get to my room reeks like cat urine and I'm in an outdoor facing room which is sketchy in and of itself. Based on their website I never would have thought that this was actually a motel, not a hotel. Horrifying with a capitol H. Steer clear.

2 Thank carmella1950
Hotel M, Manager at Tahitian Inn Hotel Cafe & Spa, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
We are sorry to hear your stay was 'Horrifying'. But unfortunately your stay with us was during the RNC which meant our entire hotel was rented out. We are staffed 24 hours a day, the personal on duty would have been more than pleased to reclean your room and provide fresh linen, or if you wished to leave we would have been able to help you locate a hotel that had availability. Also there aren't hallways to get to rooms because the entire exterior is an open setting. We sincerely regret your stay wasn't what you expected and do hope you would give us an opportunity to recitify the situation. Since we do not have your personal information please give us a call at 813-877-6721 and ask for Vanessa or Susie.

Travelers are raving about these Tampa hotels