“Great Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #87 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
Lenox, MI
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

This is the second time my daughter and I have stayed at this hotel, and again we had a great stay. We have stayed there both times before embarking on cruises from Tampa. They offer a shuttle service to pick you up at the airport and to take you to the cruise port the next day. The rooms are clean and nice and the staff is great. There is a nice restaurant and pool area with bar. It's also within walking distance to other eateries and drug stores for last minute items. We would stay there again when in Tampa.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Port Charlotte, Florida, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

My family lives within 5 miles of the Tahitian and we have been staying here for many years. No more.

Cons: Our room was basicly "windowless". The floors turned our feet black after our shower. I took the towel down to the front desk that we had cleaned our feet. We were told that was "not acceptable". The toliet ran constantly unless you wiggeled the handle. The exposed pipes under the sink were filthey. The beds squeeked when you turn over. The coffee pot fell apart in your hand when trying to make coffee. Equipment ran all night. A/c was very noisey. Fluid leaked under the door in the room next to ours, you had to walk threw the fluid to exit the room. I was afraid of a fire and not being able to exit the windowless room. Did not get any sleep.

We talked with the other couple that also stayed there pre-cruise. They also had no sleep due to condition of the Inn.

Pros: The resturant was outstanding. We used the shuttle and they were efficiant and courtous. We did worry as the van was low on gas. The "low fuel" alarm sounded the whole distance to the port...but we got there!

The Tahitian use to be the Jewel of Tampa Bay. What a shame to see it deterioate so. Other family members will no longer be staying there. Bye Old Friend. To many newer Hotels that value our business are available in the area.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kathie A
Middleburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

We rented a Suite we were in town for a wedding, This is an older motel that the owners have done major renovations to and added new construction to as well, The suite was huge and only around $110.00 per night. Big clean pool with a tiki bar. The food at the restaurant was really very good. My wife had a massage at the spa and said she enjoyed that very much. This is not a resort, or 5 or even 4 star type of place,but if your going to Bush Gardens of Ybor City or just visiting for a day or two, I think it is a good value. The service was also fine,no problems.

Room Tip: I would recommend staying in the new rooms that have interior access only.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Robert Z
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

I travel into Tampa on business almost every week and I ended up staying at the Tahitian few times - not really by choice as when you bid on priceline you do not have complete control over the hotel that accepts your bid.

This facility gets rated as a 3 Star. Frankly, it is a separate debate altogether as to how these ratings are actually worked out. The biggest issue I have with this facility is their internet service. It totally totally sucks. As a business traveler for me a decent quality Wifi is a must to get some work done from the hotel. If you have such hopes at Tahitian you better forget it. At each of my visits I was had to change 2 or 3 rooms before I can get even some slow speed wireless connectivity that will make you agree that dial-up connection could be much faster than that!

At times the noise level in the parking lot or in the corridors can get very high either due to some people partying in their rooms or folks visiting the bar at the hotel - but you can't do much about it as its part of the design!

I really did not have much complaints otherwise. My overall experience otherwise while not that terrific to write home about but not again bad either. There isn't any complimentary breakfast - but they boast a cafe that opens at 6am and serves a variety of food. Also, there is no complimentary daily newspaper. Though there is a color television they aren't necessarily LCD and the Channel lineups sucks big time - not much entertainment content. Well, these are some of the areas the hotel falls short which one could expect to get even in a 2 star facilty.

Room Tip: Choose higher level floors and stay in the main building.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

We did not eat in the restaurant so this review is of the hotel only. First impression was ok. Staff was friendly. The room had a "cold" feel because it had tile floors rather than carpet. They have worked hard trying to upgrade the rooms and have done a decent job. The beds are very comfortable. Water pressure was non-existent. Mini fridge in room came in use several times during our 3 night stay. Pool area was cool, with a tropical feel. The poolside bar was opened during certain hours and they had TV's for the sports fans. All in all the hotel was OK, but if you are used to the Wyndham, Doubletree, Sheraton, you may be dissappointed. We would not book here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Seneca7777
Port Colborne, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

we stayed there the night before our cruise
shuttle pick up from airport - we were picked up with 20 minutes of calling them.
front desk - great service and they even remembered our names
book shuttle time to port as soon as you check in
location on a main street (front of resort) within walking distance to liquor store, a place for snacks,
very pretty hotel for its age.
we had a room close to pool and facing parking lot-- just a little noisey at time but nothing we were concerned about
pool and pool bar wonderful - bar service top notch, food service
our room was large and clean, bed comfortable for our liking
bathroom very dated and we seem to have a hot water issue for shower, we managed ;-)
restaraunt in main building we found the food the be good, breakfast portions are quite large and service for breakfast was remarkable, i can not say the same for dinner service, it was slow.
I would go back to this location again if we took another cruise out of Tampa for the price we paid. Found it on the web for less than 75 bucks

i would take a suite the next time to be away from the pool area and the late parties

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

I stayed here one night. The room was beautiful, felt like I was in a caribbean hotel. Very nice decor, spacious, bathroom was large. I had a king size bed facing the main street, it had a balcaony and 2 chairs. Super clean place, nice soaps and plenty of towels. I also had a second room, with its own kitchenette and bathroom, tv. I found the bed too soft for me, but others might like it. I didnt get much sleep because the walls are thin and the neighbors partied til 3 am. I did call the front desk, and I know they called them but that only quieted them for an hour. So, I wouldnt stay there again only bc the walls are thin. There are plenty of restaurants in the area, I had dinner at Carrabas 2 minutes down the same street. They have a computer in the lobby for guest to use for free. Price was reasonable about 90 dollars a night.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple