“Disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
FL
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2010

I was down in Tampa this past weekend for my 2 best friends birthday event and this is where we stayed... it is a very nice/clean hotel but I was very upset with the guest services!! When I arrived at 5:15pm only 1 of my two rooms were ready. After an hr and 30 min my 2nd room was ready and I checked into it.... they somehow checked another family into that room and let the lady sign my name and gave them keys!! The family knock on my room door as I am changing clothes letting me know of the situation which made me VERY ANGRY!! Then to end it all they charged my card twice as well as my friend card after saying they had to cancel the first transaction due to the confusion.... just total Chaos!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank DivaDiamonds

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Manitoba
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2010

We stayed here for just one night, but it is a nice hotel, located very close to the airport, as well as to shopping, movie theater, etc. The hotel looks to be newer and it was very nice. We had a standard room, which we tried to upgrade to a suite but they had none available :(
Our room was clean and fresh, beds and pillows were comfy. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Edgartown, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2009

Was contacted by a very pleasant woman from this hotel with an apology and a way to make this up to us HOWEVER it has never happened. I emailed to let them know there had been no follow through and was sent a snippy reply.
SO
My Husband and I booked rooms for our self and an employee for the night of November 10th. I am annoyed to have to report that not much went as it should have. If it was one incident, here or there I would have let it wash over and moved on, but I now happen to have a list.

We choose Hilton family hotels because we expect a standard of service and cleanliness which this hotel has not met. And I am sorry to say other Hilton family hotels in the Tampa Airport area have not been any cleaner, but they at least got the reservations correct.

Under normal circumstances we book directly with Hilton, for this stay we booked through Expedia, so as you know we paid immediately for the two rooms. I was not aware of Hilton's best price guarantee AND was told by a Hilton 800# agent that using a booking engine like Expedia would result in a better rate. This reservation was made on October 30th. It was a long business trip and we really needed the king size beds and whirlpool tubs. On arrival we checked in and were given our keys and room assignments. NO WARNING of what had happened. We opened our room door and discovered two double beds and no whirlpool tub. We travel with a lot of equipment and luggage so the extra bed means wall-to-wall stuff, this makes the room very uncomfortable before even one bag is opened. We also like the extra floor space so that we can have an informal meeting and no one has to sit on a bed. I immediately returned to the desk and asked for the room we booked and paid for. I was told that they were OVERBOOKED and that I WAS LUCKY TO HAVE A ROOM AT ALL and that there were people who would be arriving and have no place to stay!!! I can not even tell you what this statement does to someone who is loyal to Hilton. How do I trust that on any future vacation or business trip I will not be the one bumped. I now feel the need to call and confirm. If I had been warned of the down-grade at check-in it probably would not have been as annoying. I spent the next 45 minutes in my assigned room on the phone with Expedia to get my bill adjusted.

We then settled in and discovered more disgusting and annoying items, some of what I have captured in the attached photos.
1. All glasses, mugs and coffee pot were dirty, but arranged to look clean. These items should come from a dishwasher, not cleaned in the room considering the H1N1 epidemic.
2. Housekeepers use dirty cleaning cloths to "wipe" things down. There were swipe marks on things like the black microwave, showing that there had been one pass with a dirty cloth.
3. There were random pieces of hair in the bathroom and upper left corner of the bed. See hair on photo of shower head.
4. When you get into the shower and close the curtain it was apparent that the curtain had not been changed. The vertical seam on the back side of the clear panel nearest to the shower head was packed with dirt/soap goo. To me indicates that the housekeeping staff is not spending enough time in the room to notice these things.
5. The mirror over the desk with the lamp in front of it???? had not been dusted in a while. The placement of the mirror and furniture was not functional and again not clean.
6. Both elevators each have 2 light bulbs out. The staff ride these elevators ALL day, no one noticed??? There was a casino/hotel chain we frequented and right before they filed for bankruptcy we noticed a ton of light bulbs out, this is perhaps a leading indicator.
7. The hot/cold water mixer on the bathroom sink is not adjusted correctly. The hot water gets lukewarm at best after running for several minutes. So, the staff is not cleaning with hot water either.
8. I had put several items in the refrigerator. Later I went to retrieve a cold drink and noticed it was still warm. Discovering that the appliance had been turned off, I turned it on and went to bed. I then realized why it had been turned off, of course it was noisy.

When we checked in we were not informed about any amenities or parking. This is one opportunity to sell the restaurant, bar or items from the canteen. I then circled in pouring rain to find a parking spot and only when I asked about additional parking was told about the complimentary garage across the street.

We drove to the location in the pouring rain. The entrance to the complex did not have a road sign, Hilton sign or logo, we drove around the block twice before finding the entrance. Also O'Brien road has been in disrepair for several years. The lack of signage and road conditions are something Hilton and neighboring hotels should address with the city as a united front.

The two things that were exceptional are: The food, bar and restaurant staff. And two front desk clerks; the evening of the 10th a young woman with red hair and a gentleman at 5:45am on the 11th, both gave exceptional driving directions.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2009

I stayed here after a late night arrival into the airport with my family. I'd come back anytime. It was mid-June and they were dead, it seemed like we were the only ones at the hotel.

This HGI was about a Year old in June 2009 and everything looked brand new. I especially loved the color scheme and decorating here...it looked like much more expensive hotel. Lots of tile, marble, and fun, modern blues and greens. The lobby looks more like a trendy lounge than a suburban airport hotel! There is plenty of seating, a small waterfall and a fireplace too I think.

Yes, this place is hard to find because the development it is a part of is so new, it's not on GPS systems yet. Either take the airport shuttle (free, just call the front desk when you arrive) or make sure you have printed directions from Google Maps if you are driving. You are very close to the big International Plaza mall when staying here, it's like a 2 min drive.

Breakfast was awesome. Plenty of choices and the lobby gets lots of nice sunlight in the morning. Our waitress was AWESOME and super friendly, it was a great way to start the day.

The pool is very nice and clean with towels and separate restrooms available. We sat out there after breakfast and watched the departures from the airport overhead.

The rooms were just fantastic. Nice furnishings with modern accents, a nice TV, and the signature HGI adjustable beds. Very comfortable and clean.

I'd come back in a heartbeat if I needed a hotel in the area.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2009

We stayed here one night before our cruise leaving out of Tampa. It was a last minute rush; the Swine Flu cancelled our Mexican Riviera cruise and one week before cruising we had to change EVERYTHING, including hotels. We booked here because we found a good deal; $89 for a Saturday night including taxes. It ended up being a nicer hotel than we needed; no complaints though!

Our flight got in late Saturday night and we called the hotel for the complimentary shuttle to pick us. The wait was about 10 minutes for the shuttle after we called. We had a nice driver and he suggested a place to eat that was open late. So after he dropped us off at the hotel we put our bags in our room and headed out to a bar/restaurant called Champions- only a short shuttle ride away. The shuttle will take you anywhere for free (plus tip) around a five mile radius. It even runs late into the night. The following morning we had the hotel get us a taxi to drop us off at the pier.

We used the free business center to print out one extra luggage tag for the cruise. Our room had a view of some empty lot. We felt safe at the hotel. They have a restaurant and another area full of frozen dinners, ice cream, and other food items so you won’t go hungry.

I would recommend this hotel for travelers that are looking for a place to snooze before a cruise! I would stay here again if cruising but other than that I’m not sure there was anything I would like to return to this area for. Last time we stayed at the Embassy Suites in downtown Tampa (you can read my review from 2007) and we had more fun being downtown with all the shops and restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Bethany Beach, Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2009

I'm a big fan of Hilton Garden Inns but this one did not measure up. Much of it has been said in other reviews here. The location is hard to find. We asked after our gps couldn't find it and we still couldn't find it. I guess it is very new and not known to everyone. The parking was not very convenient with only a few spots next to the hotel and the others were in the garage across the street. The pool was very small and crowded when we visited. My biggest complaint is about the service though. Whenever I needed assistance, no one was around to help me. I went to the front desk twice and found it empty. When we went to breakfast, the buffet was all set out but no one was in sight. It wasn't until we had finished our meal that someone popped their head out of the kitchen and wished us a nice day. The rooms were nice enough and the food was average. This is very close to the airport so if you can find it and just need a place to sleep when arriving or departing, it would be fine. But for a longer stay you can probably do better.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Deb_traveller
mhmecomm, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Airport Westshore, responded to this review, January 29, 2010
Dear Deb_travelier,

Thank you for visiting our Hilton Garden Inn and for providing valuable
feedback and comments.

We are glad that you found our rooms nice and we agree that our location
is ideal for the Tampa Airport area.

We are very sorry that you had issues finding our hotel with your GPS, this
should soon be resolved as we are located on a new road and it has been
submitted to GPS mapping companies. Feel free to utilize the corner of
Spruce St and O’Brien St as inputs for your next visit.

The lack of service that you experienced at our hotel is very unlike our
staff and not up to the high standards that we set at Hilton Garden Inn. I
have shared your comments with our service staff and have made
changes to ensure your experience will be much better next time.

I personally invite you to give us another try next time you are in Tampa.

Stormy McNeil
Stormy.mcneil@hilton.com
Solano
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2009

I am currently still staying here as I am typing this review. I have been here a week and have three more days. Intitially I was very impressed. I am from California and in the military. Having been TDY numerous times I know Hilton Garden very well. So I am figuring I am almost at home (so to speak)!!!

Well not know that there is not any room service on the weekend (do not even recall reading it any of the literature in the room)....I called and the exact conversation went such as...I would like to order breakfast....the reply was "we don't have room service on the weekends" and I said "oh, I didnt know that" , then he said sorry and have a good day and hung up the phone..my complaint was that his tone was somewhat gruff and he did not really let me hang up first. I felt like he hung up in my face. I called the front desk and Nancy (who was very apologetic) said that no one should have even answered the phone. It should have went to a voicemail. She then said to stop by the front desk. Well sadly on my part I did not stop on my way to eat because I was still pissed and very hungry. So after I ate I then stopped by and she kind of scolded me (in a humours way)...because she had a complimentary breakfast for me. LOL

Oh well, $12 wasnt to bad to pay for an all you can eat breakfast and the food was good. I still think that breakfast at the HIlton should be complimentary.

Okay now it gets really worse!!! Sunday morning about 8:30 I am awaken by this very very loud noise. I can hear like it is on the opposite side of my headboard.
For the life of me I do not understand why a hotel would have roof construction going on early in the morning and on a weekend!!! Totally unacceptable to my standards of a hotel. It could have been more tolerable had the front desk sent out a message of some sort before hand. When I called the front desk Jennifer did not appear to be concern about my discomfort as well.

The parking sucks!!! I think they have way too many handicap parking spaces. The parking on both sides is extremely limited and when ful I have seen at least 5-6 empty handicap spaces. Yes they have the parking garage directly accross the street. But it was not convient for me.

I would recommend this hotel inspite of my issues.
The location close to everything. They just need to do some guest service improvements.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business