“Handy hotel if visiting Busch Gardens”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens
Ranked #51 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Stayed here for one night so we could visit Busch Gardens. Room was clean and breakfast was plentiful. Used the free shuttle to and from the park..Rolando the driver was very helpful and picked us up earlier than arranged as it was raining. Had a nice meal at The Olive Garden next door at night.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 109loveholidays

Reviewed June 27, 2014

Our family just returned from FL. We spend 5 days in Clearwater and 3 days in Tampa.The hotel is nice with a wonderful staff!!!! Great beds which gave us a good night sleep to enjoy the parks. Rolando the shuttle driver is AMAZING!!!! One of the most reliable people we have meet.
(HOPE YOU HAD A GREAT FISHING TRIP). We highly recommend the hotel while staying in the Tampa area.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Stayed here from June 15-18, 2014. Also, remember, the opinions expressed here are strictly my own.

First of all, this hotel is very convenient to Busch Garden and has a shuttle which will take you there and pick you up.

On arrival we were given a room in the front of the hotel where the blue light used to light the exterior shown in the window. Second, the tv did not work well. So, moved to Room 215, opened the fridge to put water in the freezer and the freezer compartment has been ripped from the top of the fridge. Then, the door will not properly engage. It is 11 at night and we decide to stay in 215 and address the issues the next morning.

Next morning, down to breakfast after a stop to inform desk of our issues. In the breakfast area, we get our food but overhear the lady who runs the area talking to a subordinate in a very rude and condescending manner. No please or thank you, just do this or do that.

We put our Busch Garden trip off to Tuesday as we needed a day to recover... So we hung out at the hotel during the morning.

Moving to when maintenance came to address the fridge I was out, but wife was in the room. Maintenance person opens the door, stares in it and turns to my wife and asks, "So what is wrong with it?" My wife looks at them and asks if they cannot see the freezer hanging from roof of the fridge. "Oh" was the reply, but the fridge was replaced. Then on to the door. It was fixed so it would latch, but the deadbolt would not engage. One more trip to get that done. But it was fixed.

In the meantime, was near the lobby and the morning manager woman was addressing her subordinates in the same manner as the Breakfast Supervisor. As a school teacher who is to model good behavior, and a former supervisor of employees, I can tell you my father was right, "You get more out of people using honey than vinegar."

Next day we went to breakfast and noticed the breakfast was the exact same as the day before. Anyone who stays in Holiday Inn Express knows many hotels rotate morning offerings. Wife asked one of the girls working and was told, "The new Hotel Manager, a Mr Charlie (?) keeps everything the same in an effort to control costs." Hmmmm

Best part of the hotel, Rolando and the Shuttle van. Very efficient, very professional, knows how to treat people. Hurries you along without making you feel rushed. Punctual also. He explains how everything works and you cannot say you do not know. Also, should you need to come back early...just call the hotel.

Checkout was fine. I do want to compliment the ladies who worked late at night and first thing in the morning, very polite and willing to help. The supervisors, not so much.

For the price we were charged per night, I think we could have expected more. We will not be back.

Oh, Busch Gardens is located in North Tampa. It was not convenient to go anywhere else but Busch Garden. We took Monday afternoon to drive out to the Beach at Madiera Beach. Took about an hour.

Room Tip: I guarantee Room 215 has a new fridge and the locks work perfectly.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank TravellingAZTeacher
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Dear TravellingAZTeacher,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative of your comments about our shuttle service. On the other hand, please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience the condition of your room and the level of service received may have caused you. I have taken note of your comments and we will address these points to improve upon our service.

Thank you for your time and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again in Tampa.

Best Regards,

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed June 26, 2014

My partner and I stayed in this hotel as part of our honeymoon as we got married in Florida and it was close to the airport for our flight home. We already had a free room upgrade due to problems with emails not being answered when we originally booked.

We checked into the room and found the air con did not work. After several trips back down to reception, and being told there were no other rooms available, we were eventually moved.

All was great as the air con worked. We spent some time at Busch which was OK, not my favourite park. When we got back to the hotel I decided to have a bath in the spa bath. The moment I turned on the taps, water started pouring out soaking the floor. I gave up that idea and went to bed!

We were checking out the next morning so we both had showers before leaving. It was then we realised that the maids had taken our towels the previous day and had not replaced them, leaving us with a bath towel and hand towel. Upon checking out I did mention these things to the lady on reception but she didn't really care to be honest.

Since being back I have sent several emails to the hotel asking to give feedback (these were sent directly to the Managers email address as I had kept it from before) and yet still no answer nearly 3 weeks on! To be fair, I didn't think they would reply anyway.

It's a shame that the customer service is so poor in this hotel and that nobody actually feels the need to help you. Having said that, the lady that does breakfast in the morning is an angel. About the only one there.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Blingbailey
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2014

Dear Blingbailey,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for your kind appreciation regarding your breakfast experience. It is truly regrettable that some aspects of our hotel, particularly the bathroom amenities and level of service you have received, fell below your expectations. I am certain that this is not the kind of standard that we aim to build. Rest assured that your feedback has been taken into serious account to consider improvements on these areas mentioned on your review.

Once again, thank you for staying and I hope that you give us another chance to provide you with a more exemplary stay in the future.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Located outside of downtown Tampa, next to Bush Gardens and on a busy street. But you don't hear any noise in your room. Unfortunately there wasn't a king room available (as we had requested) because there were washing the carpets, we got a queen room instead. The room is a bit dark. Breakfast was okay.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights to visit Busch Gardens and Big Cat Rescue. The hotel is infront of BG and has a shuttle to get you to the park. The front desk personnel is efficient and nice.
The rooms are spacious and clean, but dark and include a mini fridge and microwave. Got a room with a BG & pool view ( saw Sheikra and Montu). The mattress was a bit soft for my taste, but not a deal breaker. Wish they would get saftey deposit boxes in the room, personnally I don't like the tiny ones on the front desk or having to worry about the key.
Breakfast is a bit better than fine, includes pancakes, yogurt, milk, cereal, fruit, breakfast meats, juice, coffee and pastries.
The internet is terrible, slow and it requieres that you sign in constantly. If someone from this hotel reada my review, do something! That is the culprit that gor this hotel a 4 star.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Very nice hotel, it was very clean and welcoming, the lady at front desk checked me in within minutes I was on my way to the room, The room was big and spacious, Microwave and Refrigerator, The bathroom was also very clean and spacious. The room was quite, I did not hear a single noise/creek or rattle. But the internet, oh the internet, was very very very slow. If you plan on doing any work do it somewhere it you cannot accomplish that here. Beyond that it is a great hotel, close to so many things and eating options.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business