“Shuttle service - Robert”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens
Ranked #50 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Robert is an excellent driver and EXTREMLY helpful. Thanks Robert for taking care our family and all of our crazy Kansas needs while we stayed! To say his service was 5 star it just isn't enough.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Ryan C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2012

Wow. I can't believe I haven't responded to this review from the 16th. With all the reviews we have been getting for Robert, it must have just gotten lost in the shuffle. I can honestly say I feel I have the best driver of a Free Shuttle to Busch Gardens in Tampa. Thank you for your review, and please come back and see Robert again soon!

Reviewed February 15, 2012

We had spent the day on the beach of Fort De Soto park and were hoping to find a hotel close to Busch Gardens to avoid driving back from Orlando. I remembered the reviews were quite positive about this hotel and were very pleased to find them true. The rooms were comfortable and clean. My daughters used the pool and our whole family enjoyed a very good complimentary breakfast before our big day at Busch Gardens. There was a little traffic noise from the busy street but nothing out of the ordinary. Front desk staff were very helpful as my daughter forgot a shaver and they provided a complimentary one. Our last minute booking cost us $134 and was well worth it.

1  Thank Malan_Family
Ryan C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2012

Hello! Thank you very much for your kind comments on our property! My team and I work very, very hard to get reviews such as yours. We strive to have a Heart for Hospitality, and hope it shows to each and every one of our guests. We love it when you all post reviews here on Trip Advisor because is proves our hard work is paying off.

So many potential guests are coming to Trip Advisor to read reviews of Hotels in Tampa or Hotels near Busch Gardens Florida before they make a decision to make a reservation. All of your comments really do help us, and we are extremely appreciative of the time you took out of your day to post a review for us.

Reviewed February 13, 2012

I frequently go on vacation and I have stayed at many hotels in this and the Clearwater area. This is by far the best experience I have had to date. The BEST thing about this hotel was the way it smelled. Usually hotels have one of two smells- cigarette smoke or cleaning supplies. I did not smell anything- which was a really nice surprise. The breakfast was great and shuttle service was a definite plus. Robert is a super nice guy who will take you basically wherever you need to go just chat with him. The hotel room was SPOTLESS. I loved the pillows, sheets, and mattress. Almost as nice as being at home. The hotel was packed and I could not hear anything through my walls or room. My only complaint, and this is a VERY minor complaint- is that I thought a heated pool was something like a jacuzzi. However, heated means around 77 degrees. This is apparently, though, the typical temp for a heated pool I am just a little naive sometimes. On my next vacation I will be staying at this place again.

1  Thank khaleesi42
Ryan C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2012

Hello! Thank you for your review! We really appreciate all of you who come and tell everyone about your stay with us. I, too, am sensitive to smells, so I appreciate you speaking to your experience with the scent – or fortunately, lack of – in your room.

Sooo, Robert will take you where ever you want to go if you jut chat him up a little, huh… I will have to talk to him about that. Joking… He is a tremendous guest service provider isn’t he! We love having him here. He is kind and willing to do anything we need him to.

I had never had anyone make a comment on the pool temperature before. So I went and did some research online, and then called our pool company. You were right 77 is a little too chilly. Thank you for letting us know. I have had them bump up the temperature to a little warmer level. When you come back you will have to let me know what you think! We look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed February 9, 2012

My family and I love the holiday inn express for several reasons. We love the location of it being so close to busch gardens. We definately love the breakfast they have to offer in the morning. We love the modern look and cleanliness they provide. We love the shuffle service they provide to the park and the driver is really nice. I think his name its robert. Its literally walking distance to olive garden and red lobster for dinner purposes. Over all A+++

• Stayed: February 2012
Ryan C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2012

Hello! Thank you for your very kind review! We appreciate the time you took out of your schedule to let our future guests know what you loved about our hotel! Hopefully you will be returning soon!

Reviewed February 7, 2012

On February 2 and 3, 2012, my wife and I were visiting Busch Gardens with our adult son and stayed at the Inn for two nights.The service was at first great, the breakfast was wonderful, the shuttle service was exceptional, the rooms clean and well maintained, the desk clerks informative and helpful and our stay was generally very positive. However, upon leaving, I found an additional charge on my bill that I did not understand and when questioning the desk clerk, found that she did not understand it either. She suggested that I stop at the desk afterwards and speak with the manager who was not on the property at that time. I stopped at the desk an additional two times and was informed both times that the manager was still not in. Because we had to leave, I asked the clerk to have the manager call me to explain the additional charge. About two hours later, I received a call from the clerk who said that she had been in touch with the manager who instructed her to call me and indicate that the room rates had INCREASED OVERNIGHT and we had been charged the new rate for the second day of our stay, which amounted to about $25 more.
If this is the policy, I should have been informed up front and not after the fact. I DID NOT agree to pay the additional rate, but it was charged to my account. I am also disturbed by the actions of the manager. He/She should have called me instead of requiring the girl at the desk to do it. We will be more selective in where we stay in our continued travels. Our advice to fellow travelers is to watch out for overnight RATE CHANGES! The hotel manager did not take care of this problem.

2  Thank Tallman_12
Ryan C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2012

Dear Tallman_12. Please let me apologize for missing the mark with you in regards to how your concern was addressed. You are absolutely correct when you state the rate change from weekday to weekend should have been explained to you at check in. I take full responsibility for this oversight. I also take full responsibility for dropping the ball in not responding back to you personally. Here at my hotel, I coach my team members that they are responsible for any and all issues and guest concerns that may arise. They are empowered to take care of my guests, just as if I were standing next to them. All my team members are potential managers for our company, and I treat them with the dignity and respect of coaching them on how to respond to issues such as yours. I want them empowered to make decisions on resolving guest concerns. It isn’t fair to our guests to have to wait for a manager to call them back when you wanted a resolution right then and there. Our lack of response and adequate information for you is completely unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize.

I have reached out to you privately to resolve your issue, and left a message at the number on your reservation. I included my cell phone number so you will be able to reach me at any time.

Thank you again for your kind comments on where we met your expectations, and for your constructive comments on how we can improve.

Reviewed February 6, 2012

This hotel really does look after their guests. Great customer service, well kept and extremely clean rooms, ample free breakfasts, lots of on-site car parking, free wi-fi, and is excellent value for money. Even though the hotel offered free shuttle service to and from Busche Gardens we chose to walk the 25 minutes. Would definitely be our hotel of choice the next time we visit Tampa.
Stayed January 2012.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Wow! Thank you so much for such a great review! We look forward to seeing you come back to visit us again. I love it when we get a review like this because it shows how much our hard work is paying off. We work hard every day to make sure we get reviews like this. Thank you!

Reviewed February 6, 2012

Things I liked about this hotel: Great location. The staff was very friendly. The hotel was new and very clean. I could easily walk to Olive Garden, Popeyes, or Red Lobster for dinner. The shuttle service was definitely above average for a Holiday Inn. Robert was extremely friendly and very obviously a people person. He clearly explained when the shuttle would pick up at Busch Gardens in the afternoon as well as provided the number to the hotel in case someone needed to call for an earlier pickup time. He also came in to work an hour earlier than his scheduled time on a Saturday morning to take me to the airport for my return flight. He definitely went above and beyond the call of duty. Service like his makes up for a lot.

Things I found to be issues: The bed was without a doubt the most uncomfortable mattress I have ever slept on in a hotel. It groaned and creaked every time I moved. I was very obviously sleeping in prior guests' body dents in the mattress which were clearly visible to the eye even before lying down. I could feel the mattress coils even though I am sure there was a pillow topper of some sort. Also, the pillows appeared to have some feathers in the which caused issues with my allergies. I woke up after a couple hours unable to breathe and with a swollen face. Luckily, I always travel with my medications. After the first night, I asked at the front desk if I could have a foam pillow. That pillow never arrived, so the second night, I rolled up my sweater and used it as a pillow. The alarm clock did not have a working volume control nor did the auxiliary jack work. The iron had a broken steam nozzle which prevented it from being able to be used as steam iron. The business center had only one computer and the printer wasn't working. To the credit of the staff, they were nice enough to print my boarding pass for me.

Despite the few issues that I had, I would still recommend this hotel believing that I simply had the bad fortune to receive a dud of a room.

Room Tip: Avoid room 202 if you need the alarm clock or the iron and until a remodel replaces the mattress or...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo

Hello! First please allow me to sincerely apologize for the quality of sleep you experienced here. It is never acceptable to us for a guest to have an unpleasant night’s sleep, and for that I am truly sorry. I have personally reviewed your comments with my housekeeping and guest services department leads regarding the pillows and the lack of response to your request for an additional one. We are actively working to replace the deficiencies you described regarding the clock and the iron. I also have asked for our IT department to completely wipe and reinstall the computer in the business center. With all the use it gets, I think it is time to just wipe it clean and start over. I am happy our Guest Service team stepped in to assist you with your boarding passes.

Robert continues to amaze me and my guests with how helpful he is. I am truly grateful he is part of my team.

Thank you for taking time out of your day to let us know where we did well, and where we need to improve. We are only able to get better when we are told where we have fallen short. I appreciate the feedback!