“Very Nice Hotel....but”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens
Ranked #54 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed July 4, 2011

We had a one night stay at this beautiful hotel but the walls are too thin. You can hear conversations down the hall. The room and bathroom are super clean. The bed is super confortable.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Ivette444
TampaHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2011

Hello:
Thank you for taking your personal time to rate us! I apologize if you could hear other guests through the walls. I know sometimes this happens in a hotel especially if some guests are louder than others. I'm glad that for the most part your stay was excellent! Please think of us next time you are in Tampa. I greatly appreciate your feedback!

Reviewed June 20, 2011

We stayed as a family of 4, i had booked two rooms, the hotel desk provided two adjoining rooms both of which were clean, bright and airy. there was small area with a microwave, mini fridge, with coffee making facilities. As tea drinkers we took our own kettle and tea bags. The inclusive breakfast was provided although all served in plastic. You could get milk in containers for your tea / coffee and take your breakfast back to your room. the breakfast room can get busy. The swimming pool was clean, and on the side of the hotel and well fenced. The beds were clean, not worn out, and comfortable. Air-con in our room worked very well although a bit noisy, ( we are light sleepers) Staff we very friendly, and very helpful, and keen to provide what we requested. If you go to Busch Gardens (which is just one block away) on the day you check out the hotel has a luggage room to save taking all your cases into your car. Just come back at the end of the day and collect your cases. There is a large car park, and a shuttle to Busch Gardens (although that does limit your time in the park but save $13 parking charge at Busch) We definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Giddingsfam
TampaHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2011

Hello: Thank you so much for allowing us to be part of your families get away to Tampa! I'm so pleased to hear that we accommodated you and took good care of you. Yes, please think of us when you are in the Tampa area again. It was our pleasure to have you and it will be our pleasure to have you again in the future!

Reviewed June 3, 2011

I was in Tampa to purchase a car and decided to stay the night at the Holiday Inn Express near Busch Gardens in order to take my young cousin to the theme park. The location of the hotel is phenomenal. I knew it was close to the park but I did not realize how close. It is exactly half a mile to the entrance of Busch Gardens and is not a difficult walk for those in moderate shape.

I arrived at the hotel a few hours earlier than expected wanting to place our bags in our room. The room was not ready but the front desk was quite friendly and said I could put them in a locked luggage room. It was greatly appreciated and secure. Upon arrival at the hotel I was also impressed with the cleanliness. I am not sure what I was expecting but the hotel cleanliness surpassed any expectations I had.

Breakfast was standard fare for the most part. However, I was surprised to find hot items at the breakfast as well. There was the staple cereal bar with milk and fruit but eggs, bacon, sausage gravy and pancakes were also made available. This was a nice, unexpected surprise.

The only issue I had during my stay at the hotel was a rather big one in my opinion. My young cousin and I returned from dinner out in town and went to bed at 10:30pm. At exactly 11:13pm I heard someone messing with the door mechanism. I figured it was just a weary traveler who had their room number confused. To my surprise the door opened and in walked a complete stranger as I laid in my bed. The lady apologized after I confronted her and quickly left the room. I called the front desk immediately and they came down to my room. Apparently, there was a mixup during registration and we were both assigned the same room, therefore she was given a room key for my room. I understand human errors happen and this could have resulted in a much worse situation. I'm grateful that the person who gained unwarranted access to my room was simply a lady who wanted no part in mischief. It is quite unsettling to be laying in a hotel room at 11PM and have someone you don't know walk into your room. It made for a long night but the extremely comfortable bed and pillows made up for it.

The GM Heather contacted me quite quickly after the incident and apologized for the situation. Having a General Manager so in-tune with what is going on at the hotel gives me a little more confidence that this issue was just a one-time event and I happened to be the unlucky recipient. Despite the security concern, I would recommend this hotel to others and already have... just make sure to use the deadbolt!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank tblalock
TampaHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2011

Hello: Thank you again for being understanding. We absolutely had an incident with human error. Mixed registration cards, similar names. I can't apologize enough, as I relayed in my email to you. I appreciate your business, and please come see us again if you are in the area. I want you to know the incident is absolutely not normal protocol at my hotel.

Reviewed May 30, 2011

We were welcomed and assigned our room immediately upon arrival. As platinum members of priority club, we requested an upgrade, but the hotel was sold out. The room was a standard two queen unit. It was very clean with a newer flat screen t.v.. The location was excellent for us as we were heading to Adventure Island water park. We got the complimentary shuttle at 10:15 and pickup at 5:15 which saved us $12.00 in parking. It was about a 5 minute drive with traffic. The shuttle driver was very friendly and courteous. The breakfast was the typical holiday inn express fare which suits us all just fine! Would highly reccomend to everyone! Pool looked nice but we didn't go in as we spent all day at the waterpark! Ate at Olive Garden right next door for dinner.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Kama_11
TampaHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2011

Hello:
Thank you so much for clearly loving our hotel! I was so excited to see that my staff and accommodations were exactly what you were looking for on your vacation! Please think of us when you are in the Tampa area again. It would be our pleasure to have you!

Reviewed May 2, 2011

Stayed here for 5 nights with a family of 5 in a suite and we were very happy. It is almost literally across the street but the entrance to the park is 1/2 mile down the road. We took the shuttle a few times, parked at the park a few times, (you can come and go as you please once you have paid $13 for the day) and even walked once. It is a very long walk for young children especially when it is hot and especially considering all the walking you will be doing once you get to the park. The room was very nice but the kitchenette area only had a microwave and a small fridge but we did manage to have lunch in our room and typically went out for dinner - there are tons of restaurants around since it is located in a pretty busy area. The kids loved the pool and the all-you-can eat breakfast. I could probably nitpick a few things - for example our AC unit was very noisy and the washing machine broke a few times - but these things were dealt with promptly and to our satisfaction. All in all we were very happy and will consider staying again if in the area.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank DavidJ410
TampaHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2011

Hello:
Thank you so much for staying with us on your family vacation! I'm disappointed to hear about the room issues and the washer, however was VERY pleased to read that we took care of you right away. I found your review to be very honest, but very positive. Thank you for rating us well. Please come back and see us whenever you are in the Tampa BG area.

Reviewed April 27, 2011

On our first night shortly after check-in my wife found some hairs that appeared to be pubic from the previous "guest". Upon further examination we found the pillow and bed had lots of them (we have pictures) when I called the desk the maloe desk clerk asked what I expected him to do. No house keeping staff were working. I called back three minutes later and a female clerk said she would be right up with keys to another room. When we went to that room it had cigarette smoke in it so we upgraded to a suite. The next day when we were having lunch we received a call telling us that we had to get out of the room because they rented it to someone else. We were not available so they moved us into a smaller room without a view. I don't recommend staying there.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tired-of-poor-servic

Hello:
I completely remember this issue. It was was actually myself working audit shift. The guest had been in the room for about 3hrs on the beds, and called down approx 11:30pm. I looked at the "hairs" on the bed, and rather than be defensive, I offered to move them to another room immediately so they were not inconveinenced. I did bring them keys to another room, and the lady guest felt the room "smelled like smoke". I did not smell anything, however again, I did not dispute, I wanted them to be happy so I simply went downstairs and found another room for them. The guest was then satisfied with the next room chosen, and I helped them move their luggage and gave them a discount.

I then returned to the "hair" room as I could not believe my staff did not change sheets in a checked out room (stay overs we do not unless they request) as they know I have 0 tolerance. Upon better inspection (yes I looked very close & touched) the hairs were not hairs. They were long and short dark purple threads. If you look at her pictures you can see a purplish tint to some on the 2nd pic and some are extremely long. However, I did not return to the guest, I simply let it go and let them enjoy the rest of their stay. I should have maybe corrected them, but they were only here (1) night and happy with their discount.

The upgrade was not accurate. The guest was originally only to stay (1) night, and in turn chose to stay at my hotel for additional nights. They requested a QQ suite and paid more for the room, however, the guest only initialed (1) additional night. So when they did not check out the next AM, we called them. It was then that I realized they were the same guests. They did want to stay additional nights, however the suite they were in (QQ) was not available to stay over in. I had no more QQ suites and their room was for an arriving reservation.

I spoke to the male guest and he said his wife was supposed to have made sure they were in for more nights, not just one. He realized the mistake. I offered to move him to a King suite. He agreed. I even offered to again move their luggage for them so they could enjoy their day. Again he agreed. However on their return, the lady guest did not like the King suite as it wasn't as sunny, and the sink area was smaller. I apologized.

I do apologize that this guest felt like I did not accommodate them as I personally took care of them (apparently they didn't know I was the Manager). Maybe I should've mentioned the purple threads, but it was a judgment call. Plus, honestly both guests were fine in the end even thanking me several times when I saw them.

Reviewed April 16, 2011

Stayed overnight at hotel enroute to central Florida after a long late flight. Free Hot Breakfast in the morning was incredible and consistently replenished. Shuttle to and from Busch Gardens was clean, quick and very efficient. Will definitely use this hotel again and again!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank MichiganBean
TampaHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2011

Hello: I am so happy that my staff took care of you with a clean room and a great breakfast! Thank you for complementing my breakfast girls! They try their hearts out to keep the food out there with so many guests! Our crowd tends to be families of four for the most part, so they definitely get their exercise for the day! Hopefully your trip continued to be great in Central Florida. Please think of us again when you are in the area. We would love to have you back!