“Rooms Need an Overhaul”

Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel
Ranked #69 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Came with my daughters for Metrocon 2013 and was extremely disappointed considering the price for the rooms. The hotel has a good location and decent facilities, but it is the rooms which spoil the experience. They are old... there is no fridge, or microwave (this is supposed to be more than a 3 star hotel folks). Some of the rooms have views (ours did) of a mold infested roof. The headboards on the beds were scratched and disgusting. The lamp was also scratched and ripped. Additionally, there was dirt and dust all over the bathroom along with a discolored, small bathtub. When you add in an additional $18 for valet parking, this place is no deal at all.

This trip was for my daughters' birthday and the quality of the hotel nearly spoiled the experience.

This is the worst Sheraton I have ever stayed in...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Ignacio H, Manager at Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Greetings jcmach11,

Thank you for staying with us for Metrocon 2013 last weekend and for your feedback noting that you enjoyed our location and facilities. We are extremely sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your accommodations and feel this nearly spoiled your daughter's birthday. We concede that some of our guest rooms appear dated and need refreshing. However, we're excited to share that our ownership and management are addressing this in the coming months with a capital intensive renovation project. The view of the rooftop from your guest room, although unsightly, is not mold, but pooling water causing algae and debris from run-off experienced through the abundance of rain we've had this summer. We have preventative maintenance programs in place to address this, however with the almost daily thunderstorms, it's been a challenge keeping up as regularly as we would like. Although we are taking actions to address the concerns you've shared, we know we can't give you back the ideal experience you envisioned when choosing our hotel for your daughter's birthday visit to Metrocon last weekend. For this we deeply apologize. We have contacted you privately to discuss your experience further and to determine if there is anything we can do to make things right.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,247)

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I always stay in Hilton/Hampton hotels, but wound up in this Sheraton on business. The photos online look much nicer than the actual hotel. The lobby may have been renovated, but the guest rooms are in desperate need of updating! Paint is peeling, the fake leather headboard is worn and scratched, carpet is dirty and I didn't even want to sit on the sofa. The sliding glass door didn't close all the way, but thankfully they sent maintenance up right away to fix the door. I trust not all Sheratons are like this one, but I'll go back to my Hilton/Hamptons, just in case.

Room Tip: The view overlooking the river was beautiful!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank NC2FLMom
Ignacio H, Manager at Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Greetings NC2FLMom,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent visit. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed the scenic views from our guest room balconies overlooking the Hillsborough River. We're very sorry you were not satisfied with your accommodations. I'm delighted to share that we will be beginning a capital intensive renovation project in the coming months to address our guest rooms and to enhance our public spaces to offer our guests the most recent generation of the Sheraton brand elements. The project is slated for completion by the end of 2013. We hope you will consider us again in the future so you can experience the changes first hand. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I traveled to Tampa on business and chose this hotel since I stayed here previously during the Bar exam and remembered it being a nice hotel. I was so disappointed. When I walked into my room, the balcony sliding glass door was open. I went to place my purse on the bed, and saw stains on the headboard, which turned out to be tears in the fabric, but still looked disgusting. I pulled back the covers and the sheets had little stains on them. The ceiling was stained and looked disgusting. I attempted to turn on the TV and it wouldn't come on. The service guy came quickly to fix the problem which turned out to be the cables not fully plugged into the unit. I decided to suck it up...... until I went to use the bathroom. I lifted the toilet seat and there was what appeared to be urine on the seat! I was done after this. I was too exhausted to go back downstairs and complain, so I slept fully clothed and couldn't wait until it was morning. I couldn't even bear to take a shower as it was gross as well. The hotel staff and valet staff were very friendly, however. The servers at the restaurant could use some training. And get this......I was on the Starwood preferred guest floor.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Tonya_bella

Hello Tonya_bella,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Tampa. We're truly sorry to hear of your experience and that you were not satisfied with your accommodations. Although we concede that the conditions in some of our guest rooms are dated, the cleanliness issues you describe are not typical. We wish you would have alerted us to this while you were with us so we could have found you alternate accommodations and made things more comfortable for your stay. We will be beginning an extensive renovation of all our guest rooms and public space later this year to address the dated feel you described. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future so you have a chance to experience our refreshed hotel.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

A very laid back hotel and also pretty basic. The location is perfect, beaches are 30 minutes away. There are restaurants and shops around the are which is convenient to avoid stating in the room. I got upgraded to a river view room directly over the pool with a big balcony. The breakfast delivered to my room was delicious this morning.. Good for a short stay or if you'll be out of the room most of the day

• Stayed: July 2013

Hello Nessie827,

Thank you for your recent visit. We're delighted to hear that you found our location to be perfect and that your room service breakfast was delicious. We're also pleased to hear that you enjoyed your upgrade to one of our riverview guest rooms. We appreciate you taking a moment to post a review of your stay. We hope you will consider staying with us again the next time your visiting Tampa.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton Riverwalk to attend a wedding. The reception was held at the hotel and the location is great. The rooms are spacious and we had no problems whatsoever. There is a good indoor bar and restaurant as well as multiple computer workstations to print boarding passes.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ignacio H, Manager at Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Hello Joyride0011,
Thanks for staying with us. We're glad you enjoyed the wedding reception you attended at our hotel. We consistently get rave reviews for wedding receptions at our location and are delighted to hear that you agree. It pleases us to hear that you experienced no problems whatsoever with your stay. Thanks for taking the time to post your review. We hope you'll stay with us again the next time you visit Tampa.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We arrived late and the front desk man (there was only one) seemed busy but was able to check us in to a 2nd floor king room without too much wait. Valet staff were nice and attentive. The room left much to be desired-- old-appearing! The headboard was wooden and worn off with scratches at places. The bathroom and shower were old with scratches on the sink. The shower had great water pressure but there was mold in every corner of the shower. The walls were thin and I could hear a whole conversation from the next room while in the bathroom! Overall VERY disappointing for a 4-star hotel. Oh, and no room service after 11pm, with no vending machines to be found (with food)! The gym and pool were very nice though.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings Larubes,
Thank you for your recent stay and for posting a review about your experience. We're sorry to hear that your experience was not 100% satisfactory. We're excited to announce that we will be undergoing extensive renovations this year to address the dated and worn condition of some of our guest rooms. We hope you'll come back after the project is completed so you can experience the refreshed Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk and hope you'll be willing to tell us about your stay then as well.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I was teaching so we stayed here for it's convenience to the aquarium as well as the classroom. The staff was wonderful, friendly and helpful. The physical facilities were clean, although not new, well maintained. Our view was great. We plan to stay here my next time teaching for ease and convenience, probably take the granddaughter to the Children's Museum.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Hello Edwin M.,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking a moment to post your review. We're happy to hear that you found our facilities to be clean and well maintained and that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. We're also glad our location was convenient for your teaching assignment. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit.