“Not Sheraton at it's best”

Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel
Ranked #58 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ft Myers
“Not Sheraton at it's best”
Reviewed December 7, 2007

Being "Starwood Preffered Guests" this was a disappointment. One elevator working, Stayed on the "Club Level Lounge" But nothing happening all week end in the club part. On Fri and Sat? Are they serious. Construction on the roof....right above our room. Kind of tough for a 3 year old to sleep through that. Nice view, food was okay....not great but okay.....Valet was decent.....but not a place to brag about.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank CeltLord

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
wheatranger
Reviewed November 20, 2007

The room was in poor shape -- clean, but tiles were coming loose in the bathroom for instance. Nothing like you'd expect in a nice hotel and nothing like value for money. I reserved at the last minute and the front desk was nice and helpful in finding a room for me, but I moved to the Howard Johnson's -- it is a 15 minute walk north and there I got much more value.

• Stayed November 2007
1 Thank wheatranger
Raleigh
Reviewed November 12, 2007

We went to Tampa for a wedding, and wanted to stay downtown. After reading all the reviews on here, I was very worried about staying at this hotel, since the reviews seemed to be consistently bad. With much trepidation, we decided to give it a try.
We had a wonderful stay!! The room was very clean, and well lit, our room had a balconey that overlooked downtown.
The bathroom had marble countertops and they even provide a full size hairdryer. Everyone from the bellhop to the front desk was very courteous. We did not park our car in the valet parking, we parked our rental car in the Musuem of Art parking lot. There is a valet there for the restaraunt, so it safe! It only costs us $3 a night! Downtown was deserted making it easy to get around on the weekend.
Our room had a queen size bed, which was very comfortable.
The hotel is very close to Ebor City, Channel Side (the only good thing there if your over 25 is NYPD pizza. We were not impressed with the nightlife.
Daily papers were provided at our door. There is a small gift shop in the hotel lobby. We did not eat in the restaraunt, but did have a few drinks in the bar. I would definitely stay at this hotel again, and would recommend it. Only one elevator was working, since the other one was being renovated. The room does not have a mini bar, they do provide water bottles at $3.50 a bottle.

• Liked — it was clean and bright
  • Disliked — Creamers and sugar for coffee were rock hard
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank trumera
New York, NY
Reviewed November 9, 2007

I have been a long time browser and this is my first review.
I actually read the reviews of the Sheraton Riverwalk before my stay and still decided to roll the dice and keep my allegiance to the Starwood brand. I did one night at this hotel and then moved to the Westin up the street for one night because I couldn’t get a room at the Westin for the first night of my trip. Here we go..

The Good:
- The staff couldn’t have been nicer and I was very pleasantly surprised after some of these reviews. Everyone I encountered got a thumbs up, from the front desk, to the small lobby store, to the bartender, it was all smiles.
- I was worried about the valet messing with my car (a rental) after reading some of the reviews below and having visions of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. I was especially cognizant of this after Hertz upgraded me to a brand new Lincoln Navigator. I noted the mileage each time I came and all was normal. And they were able to have the car ready and waiting with only 4 or 5 mins notice.

The Bad:
- The elevators were miserable. Upon checking in, I waited for 10 minutes for the front desk to “reset” the elevators before deciding to walk up six flights of stairs w/ luggage.
- Despite being on the Club Level, the hallway was dark and drab. My room was fine and clean at first glance. I ended up finding long black hairs (I don’t know how the maids didn’t see them) on of the ‘clean’ towels in the bathroom and one inside the bed sheets.
- The AC kept clicking and I had to shut if off and open the windows to sleep.
- Room service stops at 11pm which always really bothers me. Especially when they are unapologetic and don’t offer any suggestions about were to get food at quarter past 11. For the record, the lobby bartender who had closed down shop for the night when I arrived was nice enough to hop behind the bar and make me a great martini – but there was no food to be had.
- The wireless internet was painfully slow (basically unsuable) and was the only option (no hard wire). I was getting 1 mb/sec during both peak and non peak hours.

Overall, I will not stay there again. The Westin was much better and had very similar rates.

• Liked — the balcony, friendly staff
  • Disliked — condition of the hotel,
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank NYC_UES
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 10, 2007

Do not use the valet service at this hotel. We did and several hundred dollars later we were sorry we did. Our car was returned to us with several dents and scratches in it that the parking operator refused to take responsibility for. I sent an estimate along with pictures of the damages to 717 parking and received a letter from the management denying the damages were caused by their service. These dents and scratches were not there prior to leaving the car with the valet. The hotel does not offer self parking. Buyer Beware!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — The dents in my car!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DerekStephens
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed October 9, 2007

I stayed here for two nights over a weekend in June with a group of friends. We are all young professionals who travelled to Tampa for a 'guys weekend.' First of all, this is not a good location for those looking for an active weekend. This hotel seems to be in a business district in Tampa (just judging from my experience there) and therefore most of the immediate surrounding area was dead during my stay. On the bright side the hotel shuttle was very willing to haul us all around Tampa (within reason), for no fare, just tips. The only other decent thing about the stay was the pool. The hotel is fair at best and I would really only recommend staying here if you have some business meetings across the street and everything else is booked.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank MRM-KY
St. Petersburg
Reviewed August 25, 2007

I posted a review, but mysterious it has disappeared. To make a long story short - the valet service took our car in the night and when we left it had been vomited in, empty beer bottle in front seat and the front bumper had dents in it. The management said they would comp our room and then denied ever taking the car out. We ended up with being charged for two nights - only stayed one - and no comp or acknowledgment of wrong doings. We are now in the process of trying to get the charges corrected, but as of now, no willingness to correct.

• Liked — Descent rooms
  • Disliked — Management
  • Stayed May 2007