“Great stay at the Sheraton”

Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel
Ranked #68 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 12, 2007

We went to Tampa for a wedding, and wanted to stay downtown. After reading all the reviews on here, I was very worried about staying at this hotel, since the reviews seemed to be consistently bad. With much trepidation, we decided to give it a try.
We had a wonderful stay!! The room was very clean, and well lit, our room had a balconey that overlooked downtown.
The bathroom had marble countertops and they even provide a full size hairdryer. Everyone from the bellhop to the front desk was very courteous. We did not park our car in the valet parking, we parked our rental car in the Musuem of Art parking lot. There is a valet there for the restaraunt, so it safe! It only costs us $3 a night! Downtown was deserted making it easy to get around on the weekend.
Our room had a queen size bed, which was very comfortable.
The hotel is very close to Ebor City, Channel Side (the only good thing there if your over 25 is NYPD pizza. We were not impressed with the nightlife.
Daily papers were provided at our door. There is a small gift shop in the hotel lobby. We did not eat in the restaraunt, but did have a few drinks in the bar. I would definitely stay at this hotel again, and would recommend it. Only one elevator was working, since the other one was being renovated. The room does not have a mini bar, they do provide water bottles at $3.50 a bottle.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank trumera
Write a ReviewReviews (1,261)

Reviewed November 9, 2007

I have been a long time browser and this is my first review.
I actually read the reviews of the Sheraton Riverwalk before my stay and still decided to roll the dice and keep my allegiance to the Starwood brand. I did one night at this hotel and then moved to the Westin up the street for one night because I couldn’t get a room at the Westin for the first night of my trip. Here we go..

The Good:
- The staff couldn’t have been nicer and I was very pleasantly surprised after some of these reviews. Everyone I encountered got a thumbs up, from the front desk, to the small lobby store, to the bartender, it was all smiles.
- I was worried about the valet messing with my car (a rental) after reading some of the reviews below and having visions of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. I was especially cognizant of this after Hertz upgraded me to a brand new Lincoln Navigator. I noted the mileage each time I came and all was normal. And they were able to have the car ready and waiting with only 4 or 5 mins notice.

The Bad:
- The elevators were miserable. Upon checking in, I waited for 10 minutes for the front desk to “reset” the elevators before deciding to walk up six flights of stairs w/ luggage.
- Despite being on the Club Level, the hallway was dark and drab. My room was fine and clean at first glance. I ended up finding long black hairs (I don’t know how the maids didn’t see them) on of the ‘clean’ towels in the bathroom and one inside the bed sheets.
- The AC kept clicking and I had to shut if off and open the windows to sleep.
- Room service stops at 11pm which always really bothers me. Especially when they are unapologetic and don’t offer any suggestions about were to get food at quarter past 11. For the record, the lobby bartender who had closed down shop for the night when I arrived was nice enough to hop behind the bar and make me a great martini – but there was no food to be had.
- The wireless internet was painfully slow (basically unsuable) and was the only option (no hard wire). I was getting 1 mb/sec during both peak and non peak hours.

Overall, I will not stay there again. The Westin was much better and had very similar rates.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank NYC_UES
Reviewed October 10, 2007

Do not use the valet service at this hotel. We did and several hundred dollars later we were sorry we did. Our car was returned to us with several dents and scratches in it that the parking operator refused to take responsibility for. I sent an estimate along with pictures of the damages to 717 parking and received a letter from the management denying the damages were caused by their service. These dents and scratches were not there prior to leaving the car with the valet. The hotel does not offer self parking. Buyer Beware!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DerekStephens
Reviewed October 9, 2007

I stayed here for two nights over a weekend in June with a group of friends. We are all young professionals who travelled to Tampa for a 'guys weekend.' First of all, this is not a good location for those looking for an active weekend. This hotel seems to be in a business district in Tampa (just judging from my experience there) and therefore most of the immediate surrounding area was dead during my stay. On the bright side the hotel shuttle was very willing to haul us all around Tampa (within reason), for no fare, just tips. The only other decent thing about the stay was the pool. The hotel is fair at best and I would really only recommend staying here if you have some business meetings across the street and everything else is booked.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank MRM-KY
Reviewed August 25, 2007

I posted a review, but mysterious it has disappeared. To make a long story short - the valet service took our car in the night and when we left it had been vomited in, empty beer bottle in front seat and the front bumper had dents in it. The management said they would comp our room and then denied ever taking the car out. We ended up with being charged for two nights - only stayed one - and no comp or acknowledgment of wrong doings. We are now in the process of trying to get the charges corrected, but as of now, no willingness to correct.

• Stayed: May 2007
3  Thank BMcNally
Reviewed June 17, 2007

Having read the reviews posted I was concerned that I had booked four
nights at this hotel prior to travelling to Destin to meet friends. However, I am glad I did read them because I was able to weigh them up against what I found there. This hotel is definitely in need of a
'face-lift'. It needs to be completely re-decorated and to be given the 'polish' that other Sheratons have. However, I did not find the hotel dirty and the rooms had everything required for a short stay even if housekeeping occasionally needed to be chased for things e.g robes. The restaurant is good, yes, it is 'pricey' but what hotel restaurant isn't? The swimming pool area is fine and the occasional pelican floats past on the river and the riverwalk near the hotel is very pleasant. This is a downtown hotel so you are not getting the amenities of a more tourist-focused area.

The real plus side of this hotel for me were the staff. They were so helpful and friendly and could not do enough to make my stay a good one. The shuttle bus was available for short journeys e.g The Florida
Aquarium, Channelside (for lots of restaurants - there is not a lot of choice of places to eat near the hotel unless you want to go to the Hyatt). They arranged a cab for me to get to Busch Gardens and there is a regular shuttle bus on the hour to the airport which is cheaper than a cab. I also used the trolley bus service from Channelside to get to Ybor City and this also runs back very close to the hotel. All the staff in the hotel were always smiling and pleasant.

My conclusion is that the Starwood group who run Sheraton are actually doing their staff a great injustice by continuing to hold back on the decoration of this hotel which is the cause of so many complaints and the staff are having to work against this pressure which they personally cannot change.

This is certainly no beach holiday hotel and certainly not a hotel for long-stay with or without children but as a jumping off point for
a couple of nights it shouldn't be completely written off.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo
6  Thank AJR61
Reviewed June 9, 2007

Like many other reviewers here, I booked this hotel assuming that since it was a Sheraton that it would be a decent hotel. We travelled here from Canada and stayed in Orlando for our first week. Arrived here on a Saturday night and there was a wedding taking place. Very noisy guests. Our room key cards didn't work, so we had to DRAG all of our bags back down to the front desk to get them fixed. Spent the first night BOILING hot as the air conditioning didn't work in our room and the noise from the corridor and surrounding rooms is ridiculous (can hear people in the next bathroom talking). This hotel cost $199 a night, and it is more like what you would expect from a $40 - $50 a night motel. Sofas in the lobby are worn and dated, bathtub in our room has a BLACK RING all the way around it. Elevators take FOREVER to arrive as they only have 2 for the entire hotel. Restaurant food is acceptable but again very overpriced for what you get. I have stayed at quite a few Sheratons and am usually very pleased. This place is more like a HoJo for 4X the price. Do not stay here!!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business