“Needs an Upgrade and a Deep Clean” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of SpringHill Suites Tampa Brandon

SpringHill Suites Tampa Brandon
Ranked #73 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
“Needs an Upgrade and a Deep Clean”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night on business. The hotels I usually stay at in Tampa were sold out so I booked a room here. The hotel is the old version of Springhill Suites - old furniture, decor and bed linens. Best part of the hotel was proximity to westfield shopping centre. Which is not really part of the hotel at all. Room did not feel clean - lamp was rusty (see picture) bathtub had mildew in multiple places and windows were grimey. Would not stay here again unless all others were sold out

• Stayed January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Sauk Village, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

From January 16, 2013 to January 20, 2013 I had to be in Tampa for a business convention. Although I was to be in Tampa for four nights I was originally only scheduled to stay at the Springhill Suites for one night. My friend/business partner/roommate had booked another hotel, in walking distance to the convention center, for us to stay in the remaining three nights of our trip. But the closer hotel would only honor the convention discount rate of $175.00 w/tax for the days of the actual company convention. Therefore, we were forced to find another hotel for our first night.

I searched for a hotel within Tampa, or relatively close, that offered the amenities I am accustomed to as well as being under the $175 per night to save us some money. I selected the Springhill Suites Tampa Brandon location for all of these reasons. I was excited when I found this hotel, with mostly favorable reviews, and a very reasonable rate of just over $100 per night w/tax.

The drive to this hotel from the Tampa airport was extremely easy. A quick jaunt on I-275 then I-4, a short drive down 2 main streets and within minutes we were at the hotel. At first it may seem as though you may be headed to staying in an industrial area, with nothing significant around, when you first hit Adamo Drive. Just hang in there because you will come to an area of light shopping and eateries (both fast food and buffet) right around the corner from the hotel.

For the size of the hotel I found the parking to be ample. I love clean and sparkling hotel lobbies and this hotel did not disappoint. We walked in and I found the decor to be bright, airy and very very clean. Speaking of air... the lobby had this wonderful aroma to it. Sitting on the front desk was some sort of fan blowing around this fantastic fragrance. Both my friend and I commented on how fresh the lobby smelled. We were greeted by service with a smile by a gentleman at the front desk. Also the checkin was quick and efficient.

We were given room 217. My my I stepped into a mini apartment. The suite was more spacious than I expected it to be for the price we were paying. Plenty of room to stretch out in with a separate seating area from the bed area. Suite 217 has all of this: {mini kitchen housed in beautiful cabinetry} mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sofa, two chairs, a desk w/chair, two mini cofffee tables, two double beds, walk in closet, bathroom, sink area, flat screen t.v. and a dresser. Yes I did say a walk in closet. The room was not only spacious, it was clean and bright too. This was a lot to receive for just over $100.00 a night. I hated the thought of leaving to go to another hotel.

Okay so we checked in and decided to hang out in the lobby for the free happy hour with appetizers. This allowed us to meet fellow distributors from our company. One of which explained in more detail about staying in hotels near the convention center. After what we heard, my friend and I did not want to leave this Springhill Suites. I went up to the front desk to see if the hotel could accommodate us for an additional three nights__ and they were able to do so. For just a few more dollars per night, than my first night, we stayed. Yay!!

Over the next few mornings we enjoyed the breakfast. I especially liked the eggs, blueberry muffins and yogurt. I personally did not wake up early enough to give myself more time to indulge in more food so I can't speak on whether it was good or not.

The drive to the convention center was easy, even in rush hour traffic. I already mentioned how close the hotel is to I-275 and I-4, but I noticed about 1/4 mile down Adamo Drive (main street 2 blocks from hotel) I-75 is visible. So there you have easy access to three Interstates. Now how convenient is that? Just two blocks away, on Adamo Drive, you are literally within walking distance to small stores, fast food and Sweet Tomatoes Buffet restaurant. We actually ate at the Sweet Tomatoes and the food was good. Drive about 5 minutes from the hotel towards Providence Road in Brandon, FL and you come to strip mall haven with better stores and more upscale food (Bonefish Grill and Longhorn Steakhouse).

The only drawback I had about the location of my room was it was located just above the pool and hot tub. One late night and one early morning we could hear people conversating while hanging out at the pool and in the hot tub. However, this was not a big enough problem for me to give a lesser rating. If this kind of noise would bother you then you should definitely request a room not located on the pool side. Oh before I forget, I did get a chance to use the fitness room. It was well kept, clean, offered two treadmills and one elliptical machine and did not smell of sweat.

FYI... I saw one of the rooms in the hotel we were suppose to move into for 3 nights. I am so glad we cancelled that room and stayed at the Springhill Suites. Our friends paid a whole lot more there than we paid at Springhill Suites and they lived in a shoebox for four nights.

All in all I give this hotel a two thumbs up... from your happy traveling travel agent.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BevCredelle
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

I've been in various Spring Hill Suites and they have always been good. But the one on Falkenburg road was terrible. The Motel 6 down the street is actually better. The reservation system was out the whole 2 days I was there, they took down my name and number and card info to contact me after I got back home, when I found they charged me $10 more than agreed.

I went into the room, and the electrical outlet was partially hanging out of the wall. Sat down to watch TV with dinner, TV wouldn't come on. Called front desk, they sent a guy up who fiddled with the wires until he got it working. Ate dinner.

Went after dinner to see the pool, which is outside. Being about 50 degrees out, I didn't have any real expectations of swimming, but had hopes the whirlpool might be hot and I could relax there. I go up to the gate and the card reader doesn't work. Went back to the desk, found out it's been broke for a while, and you have to reach up and flip the latch. So I went out and reaching up to the top of the gate, got it open and went in. I just stuck my finger in the whirlpool, tepid. Not a surprise, I'd be chilled the moment I got back out to go back in. I went back to the gate, and realized the latch is now on the OTHER side of the gate, it's cold and nobody is around. Fortunately, I'm reasonably tall and managed to reach over the gate and get the gate open. My wife would have been in serious trouble.

Went back to my room on the 4th floor, joked with the other people in the elevator about how incredibly slow it is. Listened to the ice machine leaking water (drip, drip, drip) near my room as I came in. The bathroom is huge, with both a tub and a shower. So I figured a hot bath might improvise as a whirlpool. Hot water is fine, but the tub is a child size, I could barely sqeeze in. Gave up on that after a bit. Did some reading and went to take a shower. It is large, but incredibly plain. No place to put washrag or soap but the floor. I had to drape my towel over the shower door, sorry for any water dripping on the floor but nowhere practical to put it.

Given my wonderful Spring Hill experience thus far, I approached the microwave with trepidation, backing away after pressing start in case it exploded, short circuited, whatever. It worked fine. But my caution was rewarded when I opened the refrigerator and it fell out of the wall!

Went to bed, which had a rather strangely designed alarm clock. Not sure if I set that thing properly or not. Woke up a little bit before it would have gone off, switched it to what I guess was off. Maybe it will wake up the next guest, I don't know.

Complimentary breakfast was nice, and the room smelled fine. But all the luxury above for a mere $110/night (counting tax)? I'll find another Marriott for future visits, or even the semi-roach motel down the street (not the Motel 6 above).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Scott B
Fort Lauderdale
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The rooms are clean and spacious. They could use some slight updating, but well maintained. The location is great for most access to Tampa. Close to main highways. There is convenient shopping/restaurants within a couple of minutes. Breakfast is adequate and the morning staff was very quick to cleanup.

Room Tip: Check Marriott Reward rates.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank FortLaudtraveler
Jonesboro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

We went down to visit family in the Tampa area and stayed here. The hotel was quiet and very clean. Our room was very spacious with a large closet. The Breakfast was very good. I would stay here again if I come back to the area. We have stayed at several SpringHill Suites and have always had positive experienes.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LPAMIKE
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights on business. The reception area is clean, and the people who work there are great. As for the room - large, clean, HOWEVER, the AC system is LOUD. It has one setting on/off. So, the fan runs on high gear the entire time it is on. And... it is LOUD! You will NOT be able to get to sleep with this fan running! Usually, there is a setting for the fan.. low/medium/high, but here-- the fan constantly operates on HIGH, which is LOUD.
The other issue has to do with the breakfast area. During my entire stay, there was also a large group of people who were here. There is ONE toaster in the breakfast area, and this thing is very slow. So, there was a line of 8 people waiting to make toast during breakfast. Why not get a second/third toaster? It is obvious that this is a problem! Everyone in line was complaining!
Next time I will try one of the other places in the area.

Room Tip: Make sure the AC fan has a LOW setting to avoid the loud noise!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

I would return to stay at this hotel if I had to return to Tampa on Business. It was located in a convenient, easy to locate area, close to the airport. It was updated in both the lobby and the suites. I found it very clean as well. The included breakfast had a good selection. The only drawback, was that I found the beds could have been softer, however, it will still not deter me from returning to stay there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tampa
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tampa/Brandon
Homewood Suites Tampa Brandon
Fairfield Inn & Suites Tampa Brandon
Courtyard Tampa Brandon
Courtyard Tampa Brandon
#77 of 162 in Tampa
La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa Brandon Regency Park
Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa Brandon

Been to SpringHill Suites Tampa Brandon? Share your experiences!