“Small museum but lots of information”

Ybor City State Museum
Ranked #43 of 196 things to do in Tampa
More attraction details
Owner description: The Tampa enclave's colorful history unfolds here.
Plantation, Florida
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Small museum but lots of information”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The museum is only $4 and has alot of interesting info about the history of Cigar City. The outside grounds are really nice as well.

Visited April 2013

• Turkish first
Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States
“Great garden for event; terrible staff!”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

The garden is absolutely beautiful! We had our wedding here and had an amazing time! My only complaint would be dealing with the staff. It can be difficult to get responses in a timely manner. There is a high turnover of coordinators and you can tell details and information get lost. I was told to provide my own garbage bags and garbage could be disposed of in specific trash containers on the garden’s property. The day of my wedding Regina Ervin told my coordinator we could not dispose of the garbage there. We ended up having to bag all the garbage and put it on a U-haul until my husband and I could take it to the dump to dispose of. After my honeymoon I called the garden to confirm that was indeed the process. Regina thought it was the process however the Ranger confirmed that garbage could be disposed of there. So on my wedding night I had to figure out how to get rid of nasty garbage because of Regina’s incorrect information. This seems to be a pattern and it seems as if the garden coordinators can’t communicate or coordinate things with the Rangers for things to work smoothly. This error was clearly Regina’s fault and did very little to rectify the problem. I had to demand that she just do the right thing as I felt I should be compensated in some way for having to dispose of the garbage when that should have been included in the rental fee. When I asked about my deposit being returned, Regina couldn't even find anything to show that I had paid the deposit in 2011. I had to dig through my records and provide copies of the money order since the garden did not have this information on file. As per my contract, it states deposits will be returned within 2-3 weeks after the event. When I asked Regina about this she told me 4-6 weeks is their policy. That may be the new policy but my contract was never amended to note this change and my contract is the one that is in place that states 2-3 weeks. She wanted to argue with me over this and give me the run around…as of now, I’m going on the 5th week of waiting to be returned my deposit.

In short, the garden is great; but the process and staff who coordinate the garden rental are incompetent (Yes! They do not have the necessary skills to do something successfully, are inefficient , etc.) and need to learn how to read contracts (especially their contracts). Dealing with these people is a waste of time. I’d rather pay more to work with people who know the rules and don’t give out misinformation. I also don’t advise using this place if you are expecting to get your $1000 deposit back within a reasonable time.

Visited March 2013
Brecksville,Oh
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Very Informative”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our volunteer tour guide was wonderful in her description of the house next to the museum. She really helped us understand the history of the Ybor City area. We enjoyed the various displays in the museum. Worth a visit & fee!

Visited April 2013
Tampa, Florida
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great Museum”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

If you ever had any questions about Ybor, this is the place to learn about it. It has the history from the start, cigar making, cuban food and anything else. It has great displays and even have guided tours into old houses that the cigar makers use to live in. It's pretty cheap as well.

Visited April 2012
Seattle, Washington
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Cigar Industry History”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We were very fortunate on the day we visited to have a Ranger who was passionate about Tampa and it's history. After we toured the small museum (featuring the history the cigar industry and baseball), he took us on a tour of one of the small houses provided to workers in the cigar industry. We got a real glimpse of the way the workers lived in the late 1800's including an explanation of how the local privy was maintained. Lots of fun and extremely informative.

Visited February 2013