Tripadvisor
Tampa

“Typical steakhouse fare, disappointing experience ”

Council Oak Steaks & Seafood
Reserve a Table
Fri, 2/21
8:00 PM
Ranked #57 of 2,927 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Wine Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Council Oak Steaks & Seafood is celebrating seven years of being one of Tampa Bay's BEST Steakhouses. This crown jewel serves only the finest cuts of dry aged prime beef and the freshest seafood from local waters. The award-winning restaurant recently won the 2014 Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, as well as the 2014 Wine Spectator Award of Excellence. Be sure to visit us to see why the restaurant was recently added to one of the most prestigious restaurant review guides, Zagat.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We were very pleased when shown to a very nice booth and happily ordered the meal we’d been looking forward to along with a bottle of wine to compliment it. Unfortunately, as our server stood at our table opening the wine another staff person came to tell us they were sold out of the steak we choose. While I understand it can happen it seemed like a pretty basic item. It also seems that they could have let us know before the wine had been served so that we could pick something else to go with our new choices.

More frustrating was that their service recovery effort was to bring a side dish that I had mentioned I was not ordering because I didn’t want a “family sized” portion. Yet another waste as I took a couple of bites to be polite and it had to be thrown away. I get that steakhouses don’t serve individual portions and choose not to order sides to avoid waste. Their effort to “make it up to us” just made the whole thing worse. They should simply have offered it.

The food was fine but not exceptional, at nearly $300 for two people I would not return

Date of visit: January 2020
Team_Customer_Care, Other at Council Oak Steaks & Seafood, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you Torfamm for your feedback. We apologize your experience did not meet your expectations. We take pride in providing all of our guests with authentic experiences that rock and we regret missing the mark this time. Please email us directly at feedback@shrss.com to further discuss your feedback. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Write a reviewReviews (389)

Reviewed December 30, 2019

The service was fast efficient personable and helpful, went during Halloween Weekend and even though restaurant was busy and full, never felt rushed or crowed. For appetizer had the tuna tartar which was delicious, ordered the Bone in rib eye 20oz, with baked potato, it was tender, well seasoned, absolutely heavenly. One of the best steaks i have ever had. The on stage live performer was very good and sang vocal and accompanied by guitar. Overall a wonderful dining experience.

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed December 27, 2019

Our meal was exceptional. I feel like this dining experience came closer to fine dining than our dinner at The Rez Grille. Our waitress was nice and attentive. Several people came by to fill our water glasses and they were never empty. The drinks were good, I had the guava juice drink and just asked them to add vodka and they charged me a fair price. We had 2 salads, 1 entree, 2 steaks, 1/2 pound of king crab legs, 2 drinks and it was almost 200.00$ Everything we ate was very good, the steaks were cooked perfectly and were definitely prime. I especially liked that you can just order the rib eye cap which is 8 oz and its only 38.00$ That was perfect for me because enjoy the cap and don't eat much meat. The king crab legs were also very good.

The only reason this is 2 stars and not 3 is 2 things: The cigarette smoke permeates this restaurant. The longer you are in there the stronger it becomes. I have asthma and after 30 minutes it became unbearable and we were just getting our salads. It's a really nice restaurant and a really nice space, but the cigarette smoke is a complete deal breaker for me! And customers were asking why they didn't have better air filtration in there.

The second issue was that the restaurant has a lot of marble and open space which acts as an echo chamber for loud customers. During our dinner a group of 8 very loud very drunk people came in to eat were completely out of control. Everyone was clearly bothered by them, but no one told them to keep it down. They just got louder and louder and louder basically further ruining the dining experience.

Date of visit: November 2019
Team_Customer_Care, Owner at Council Oak Steaks & Seafood, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2019

Thank you Fashionablefoodiva for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are delighted to know you enjoyed an exceptional meal at the Council Oak in Tampa, however, we are disappointed to know you experienced a displeasure with cigarette smoke in the restaurant. Although smoking is permitted at our facility, we understand that it should never interfere with the comfort of our guests. We advise our guests to please communicate any disturbances caused by other parties in the restaurant to one of our managers so that we may better assist you. We value your patronage and hope you will join us again soon and maybe try our 8 Layer Carrot Cake for dessert!

Reviewed December 23, 2019

My wife and I decided to treat ourselves after a lucky run on the slots. Wow! Everything was excellent. The staff was very friendly and knowledgable, our steaks were cooked perfectly, and we just found a new favorite Cabernet. Careful though, the sides and desserts are quite large. I can't wait to go back and try the Wagyu.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed November 30, 2019 via mobile

Excellent, service well timed, food quality was one of the best steaks ever. The beef is out of the Midwest, corn fed which is where fine dining restaurants buy it from.
A great experience as expected . Not our first time, reputation is consistent.

Date of visit: November 2019

Been to Council Oak Steaks & Seafood? Share your experiences!