“Excellent Chinese”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Tampa, Florida
“Excellent Chinese”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I had to write after visiting the Yummy House for the 4th time in a year. It is so good and unique, it has become a constant craving for my wife and me. I must say the place is always busy, and I mean from the time they open the doors to the time they close. There is a constant stream of dine-in and take out customers. The decor or accommodations will not impress the uninitiated but the food certainly will! A must have is the Salt and Pepper Calamari...thick chunks of calamari strips (not rings) covered in sea salt, pepper, cilantro, minced chilis and green onions. This dish alone is enough to satisfy two diners. Other noteworthy dishes are the house fried rice, crispy duck, and honey walnut shrimp. I'm sure there are more, but I have to go back to try them! You may be disappointed with the bland restaurant setting and plastic drinking cups but the food will impress. There is no alcohol license so bringing your own beer or wine is acceptable. Service is adequate in that they are very adept at getting orders out quickly, even at capacity. Don't expect attentive service but expect efficiency, not a bad trade off for the quality dishes Yummy House produces.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank don g

Dunedin, Florida
“Authentic”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Loved this place - very, very casual. The food is very fresh and tasty. Four of us shared items from the "special" menu, which offers multi dishes for a set price. Very inexpensive. No bar, but I am told you can bring your own bottle of wine. I had the hot tea and it was fabulous. Best Chinese I've had in Tampa.

• Visited January 2013
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
“Best chinese food in Tampa”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I no longer live in Tampa, but I try to go back when I am in town. The prices are reasonable and the food is delicious. My favorite dish is the salt and pepper seafood. I went last with a friend who didn't really like seafood, but I encouraged her to try the salt and pepper shrimp. She really enjoyed it. The prices are quite reasonable, so it's a great place for bigger groups/events. Many people bring their own wine, beer, or dessert.

It is best to go on the hour instead of the half hour. It appears that most people stay about an hour, so people who come at 5:30 or 12:30 often end up waiting for tables. Call to reserve if you have a big group.

Visited December 2012
Trinity, Florida
“Finally...Good Chinese”
Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

After reading about Yummy House on Tripadvisor we stopped for a takeout. While the menu has plenty of options for both meat eaters and vegetarians we decided to order off the special of the day menu and we weren't disappointed. We chose the grouper and green beans with spicy sauce and it was so delicious!!! The portion was huge and was plenty for 2 people. One thing to beware of. If you are vegetarian, ask if their is any meat in the dish. There was pork in our fish dish. I can't wait to go back and try something else.

1 Thank Maria Y
Sarasota Florida
“Wonderful NY Chinatown Food in Tampa”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We ate lunch in the Hillsborough Yummy House today and going at 1:30 we missed the main lunch crowd. It is a large, very pretty restaurant and there were empty tables when we arrived and we were seated immediately. There is a lunch menu or you can order from the regular menu. We did. We had the wonderful salt & pepper shrimp -- spicy, but not too spicy and if you don't like spicy food, you can shake off the pepper flakes. It is lightly coated with panko and quickly fried. Don't miss it. It is even better than the salt & pepper calmari. Their chow fun is the real thing and beef chow fun with oyster sauce it terrific. The clay pot dish of salted fish, chicken and eggplant is wonderful and probably better than any other eggplant dish I've had at other Chinese restaurants. No wonder people come from all over to eat here. Marvelous experience. Prices are not expensive and ran about $10 a dish. We had left overs that we took home.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Marian S

Been to Yummy House? Share your experiences!