“Great location for Gasparilla, but that's about it...” 3 of 5 stars

Hyde Park Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2105 West Bristol Ave, Tampa, FL 33606   |
Ranked #89 of 161 Hotels in Tampa
Orlando, FL
“Great location for Gasparilla, but that's about it...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

Booked hotel for Gasparilla. Other hotels near festival were $300 so decided to take a shot. This was definitely a "Get what you pay for."
Positives: Location. This is located in the Hyde Park area, with many restaurants, cafe's, shops, grocery stores and such. Also seemed very safe with upscale brownstones next door.
Negatives: First off, know that NO STAFF IS ON DUTY 24 HOURS. The owner lives somewhere else, and decides whether or not to stay there. Once he leaves, there is no security, staff, NADA. Made us feel a little awkward. Second, the website advertises "Continental breakfast". I asked, there is no breakfast. I asked about coffee and was handed a packet. The website also advertises "Flat panel TVs, DVD player" etc. This must be in one room only. We had a tube TV attached to the ceiling and not much else. Bed was small and we kept rolling into the center. Kitchen was functional but didnt seem very clean. Thirdly, on to cleanliness. When we checked in, there was hair in the shower and on the bathroom floor.
Overall, it did the trick. The owner is a very nice guy and tries to accommodate everyone;s needs. We arrived in the evening, and he was there and made sure we got in the room ok, but no one was there Saturday night. I just wonder what would happen if there is a fire, noise complaint or such. What do you do???
We spent our time at the parade and such and slept in the room. It was nice to have a room in the center of it all, but next time I'll spring for a downtown, named hotel. Like a review before, this place has great potential but could use a little sprucing up, truth in advertising and a full-time staff.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

My Girlfriend and I loved the area and the hotel, which reminded us of a quaint European inn. There was a full kitchen, but there were so many restaurants within walking distance we enjoyed dinning out most of the time. We arrived late, but the manager, a single parent with 2 small kids, called us before we arrived and gave us the combinations to get into the building and the room. We were pleasantly suppressed by the arrangement since we did not have to wait to get into the room. The room was very clean and had a really nice flat panel TV. There were so many places to eat and small shops close by that we got our exercise while we enjoyed walking in this really nice neighborhood. Defiantly recommend this place and we will be coming back again…

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Tallahassee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

I really liked this place, and I plan to stay there every time I am in Tampa. I stayed there the night before going on a Carnival Cruise. The price was great. This is no main chain hotel, it is family owned and operated. Reminded me much of a good european hotel. The rooms are not huge, but plenty large enough. We slept 2 adults and 2 kids with no problems. The hotel looks like it was recently remodeled. The location is great. Near down town, but in a walkers safe location with plenty of restaurants nearby. Look online for prices, but call and ask for a better deal. My wife who usually hates bargain hotels (and often walks out of many hotels) was pleasantly pleased too.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Columbia, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

My boyfriend and I drove from Kansas City to Tampa to spend NYE 2009. We had a hard time finding the hotel, because it was nondescript and not in a well-lit area. Once we found the front door we had to buzz ourselves in and wait in a little room (make-shift office), while a Spanish-speaking woman frantically clicked on the computer. Her husband was running around with their baby and shouting at her. I understand some Spanish so I soon realized that they overbooked the hotel. She couldn't really speak English so she gave me the phone to speak to the manager. I was devastated, since we booked the room weeks in advance! The manager asked us to meet him at another location and told us that he'd pay for our room and give us $50 for the inconvenience. The hotel we met him at was a motel with bars on the windows and "hourly rates." (in other words it was a druggie/prostitute haven) The place was also full. We had to follow him back to his office and eventually got a room in an Econolodge, which was not exactly the hotel we wanted to spend a romantic evening in. The next day we got our room in Hyde Park, which was sort of like a furnished studio apartment. We utilized the kitchen to make dinner, which was nice. My boyfriend also liked the large shower. Overall, I would not support the owner of this place, because he was a conman. He never gave us a credit or refund for our first night, as he promised.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Cocoa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

Stayed at the Hyde Hotel for 5 nights. The rooms are small, very small, the bathroom was great with a very nice shower. There were not the usual items one would take for granted, iron, ironing board, hair dryer. The owner did go out and purchase for items when explained that we would move on without them. The maid service was non existent, except maybe to empty the trash, maybe.
The first night it was like staying in Animal house with people running up and down the halls yelling and screaming from 2:30 AM until 4:30 AM, the fire alarm went off. When I told the owner all that transpired and what I had endured he offered to make some adjustments on my bill for that night, unfortunately he never did follow through with his promise.
The location is great with restaurants and a few bars. However, it did smell musty, was too small, terrible maid service, I stayed in the deluxe and it was definitely not worth the money at $107 or so, maybe at $59.00. It seemed the owner never knew what price he had previously quoted, and would fluctuate?
Keep looking for sure, you can do better. I can see the potential with this property and I do wish the owner the best with his property but you can't manage a property from several miles away. You have been warned.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Tampa hotels

Toms River, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

I normally read the trip advisor reviews and consider them quite worthwhile, but this is one I just don't get. Maybe I just paid too much attention to the Excellent reviews and chose to ignor the 2 that were negative. Please take this review seriously in order to identify what YOU need in a hotel.To check in to this hotel you have to ring a buzzer at the front door, then you are given the lock box combination in oder to get the front door key. Once through the front door you have to open a lock box to get your room key. The room was very small and very, very old. No lovely bedspreads or even semi antique furniture, I guess it looked clean, but didn't look very carefully. The air conditioning was a wall unit, which was turned off.There were no staff members at the hotel. Since my husband was in total shock, the owner did come to the Hotel, and I will say that he was very nice. We explained to him in as few words as possible that we just couldn't stay here. We are in our 50's and normally stay in Marriotts(even Courtyards), Westins, Hyatts in addition to a few pretty nice B&B's. in Cape May.This Hotel is no where near them, but then again neither is the price. While I though we would try and save a couple of dollars ,I will just say that it was not worth it for us. We checked into the Westin for $189 per night.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Honestly-M
Jacksonville, fL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

I stayed here on NYE 2009. It was a great experience. The hotel was booked full which management admitted they were not used to. They were super helpful in making sure everyone was comfortable. Great Hotel and Very Clean rooms!

Stayed January 2009