“Good neighborhood restaurant”

Ranked #4 of 80 Restaurants in Tamarac
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We go to Cheddar's more or less often because we live nearby. It is a good casual restaurant. Nothing exceptional but nothing mediocre either. Just one tip, if you go somewhat early it may be full, it is a popular place in the neighborhood.

There are newer reviews for Cheddar's

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Don't be fooled by the decor and the packed parking lot.

Just to give you a brief history: my family, friends and I have been dining here for a long while. I previously reviewed this restaurant here on TA and was more than fair with them. However, in the past months this place has declined SO MUCH in every possible way.

We must have continued to eat here at least 2-3 times a month, despite it getting worse on each trip; as the reason this place is usually so crowded is not because it's good, but because it's the only sit-down place in the whole immediate area, 'forcing' us to eat there since we usually are out and in that area.

Anyhow - on to the information.

The SERVICE HERE SUCKS. There is no more polite or professional way to put it. And it starts when you walk in the door. The girls working the front of house are usually too busy gossiping, joking, checking their phones or talking about the customers under their breath to actually greet you. Then when they finally make eye contact, still no greeting - just a 'How many?' and have you stand there when they have 20+ open tables to seat you at; all the while still chit-chatting. Sorry to interrupt, I just want to be seated and eat. I had the place mistaken for a restaurant.

The 'waiters' or 'waitresses' have little to no interest in helping the guests with anything. Each trip, our service has gotten continually worse. From RUDE servers, to wrong items, to never checking back on the table. On our last [and final] trip here, we were actually 'helped' by two waitresses, the first of whom took our drink order, got us the wrong drink, came back to tell us she was 'too busy' (keep in mind at the time, the place was at about 1/3 capacity and there were employees walking around) and another waitress would help us.

Second waitress shows up and explains to us our drinks are wrong because the bartender is new at his job and doesn't know how to mix many drinks. REALLY?? Really that this happens and that you TELL THE CUSTOMER THAT AS AN EXCUSE?? Also informs us that there is less alcohol in the firefly tea because it's a 'cheaper drink than the others, and since it's on special there is a lot less put in it'. Appreciate the honesty on about accounts, but that is just ridiculous that: A) it happens and B) your staff acknowledges it does, but doesn't correct it.

The food here was initially great. As it went on, it became as hit and miss as the service is. You would get hot sides served cold, smaller portions on one plate than another when ordering the same item, appetizers thrown together. Just as much chaos with the food as with the staff.

The managers there [there are several we've seen] are complete jerks. Not only to the customer, but the staff as well. Each manager we've seen has handled situations ridiculously, which is probably a huge part of the reason that things are so bad there. I've seen waiters arguing with the manager about tipping, 'hostesses' arguing with a manager about the inefficiency of their own seating, managers being rude to customers, etc. all of this in display of the customers. It shouldn't happen PERIOD, let alone in front of the guests.

Needless to say, my friends stopped going first, then my family, then my wife and I. We drive south a little more to a seafood place or north a little more to an Asian place. Both have been worth the extra time to avoid the dive this place has become.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Well the place was very clean I was there with my mom and my two children and the waitress had the worse attitude ever like a drive thru person would have. Then she put in my order when I clearly stated I didn't want it anymore if it wasn't for my daughter wanting her chicken I would have left. Surprisingly the lemon pepper chicken was amazing!!!! I'm taking my mom back for her birthday and I'll request another waitress our waiter...other than that I recommend this place to anybody plus the prices are great too.I'll post pictures.ooh my daughter is only 1 and the kids meal looks to be for a 12 year old lol.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

The place is usually packed, house margaritas and pina coladas are pretty good and inexpensive. Watch out for prices on specialty beers and wines. Menu is ok. Good place to take children - families with children are usually seated in enclosed porch area which is fine i.e. all noisy together.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

My husband and I ate at Cheddars three times in our 6-day trip to the Tamarac area in March 2013. That tells you that we liked it. On our final visit, we stopped in for a light lunch. It was a beautiful day, so we asked to be seated on the patio. There was one party of folks already seated there, and they were finishing up their lunch. We sat outside, enjoying the nice weather, and looking at our menus, but eventually it became clear that no one was coming outside to take our order. Finally, I went inside and found a server, who was helping another table of people at the moment. I told her nicely that we were waiting for someone to come out and take our order. The server, Mindy, was very nice, and very apologetic. She told me that the hostess who seated us was supposed to tell her that she had customers out on the patio, but she had not told her. (Shame on that hostess!) Mindy came outside and took care of us very soon afterward, and there were no more service issues after that. However, when she brought my husband his coffee, it was ice cold. We asked for another coffee, and she brought out another cup, which my husband said was lukewarm and nowhere near as hot as it should have been. But he didn't say anything further to the server about it. Our food was good - we split the Quesadilla appetizer, which was absolutely delicious, and we each had a cup of the potato soup - I highly recommend that.

During a dinner visit a few nights prior, I had grilled salmon and it was perfect and plentiful. On another occasion, we had lunch with another couple. My friend is in a wheelchair and has a service dog. She and her dog were treated with respect, and when she asked to be seated in an out-of-the-way area, so that her very well behaved dog could lie down and not be disturbed, her request was graciously complied with. The restaurant staff has obviously been well-trained in the laws regarding service animals. My friend has had occasional trouble with some other restaurants in that regard.
The wait staff was friendly and efficient on all three of our visits to Cheddars.
We like Cheddars overall, and will return on our next visit to the Tamarac area.