“Two Restaurants in One”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Delray Beach, Florida
“Two Restaurants in One”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

First let me say that we have been going to Hong Kong City BBQ for many years but always for its Dim Sum, which is excellent. We have attended two Chinese Banquets hosted by Chinese friends and have always had wonderful food and wonderful service. Recently my wife indicated that she would like to try out their menu, which I would call American Chinese food, so today we went there for lunch. As traditional Chinese American restaurants go, I would have to say HKCBB is just ok. We purposely ordered traditional items like Chicken and Broccoli and Szechuan Garlic Chicken. We had Won Ton and Egg Drop Soups and even ordered egg rolls. A typical American Chinese meal. The portions were large, especially for lunch. The soups were tasty and the egg rolls were of the shredded cabbage type and not greasy at all. Just the way we like them. But the bottom line is that, as a neighborhood Chinese restaurant, HKCBB is no better than most. Howevr, I am still giving them a Very Good rating because if you are looking for authentic Chinese Dim Sum, like Fried Taro balls or Turnip Pudding, or you just can't get enough Pan Fried Noodles, Jellyfish Salad and Congee, then this is the place to go.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank exnorther

New York, New York, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“wow!!”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Had dinner there last night - in over 8 years of trying various similar restaurants and enduring several disappointments here in So. Florida, HKCBBQ is a find!!

Excellent food, courteous service (ask for waitress"Sue") and, although I hate the term, being a "New Yorker", and enduring several expensive disappointments weekly with the same food venue in NYC, this place rises above all!!

Beware, though, decor is spartan and unappealling and the neighborhood has seen better days but, if you crave excellent Sechuan-Hong Kong food look nowhere else!!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Jay T
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
“fresh chinese food”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I heard about this place and after reading the reviews I decided to give the place a try. I went with my family to celebrate a birthday.

Pros:
- food tasted fresh
- different from the standard chinese restaurant
-food portions were hugh, we all took home a doggie bag
- dessert was orange slices, great after the tasty meal
Cons:
-early bird menu not given out unless you ask (tip from another reviewer) we asked and got it right away. early bird every night 7 days
-very old building with only 2 rest rooms
-we went on a Saturday night and they were packed, food came out at different times for 1/2 the table. We had to flag down servers and ask for our food.

The food was so good that we will go back inspite of the so-so service. I recommend reservations for this popular local place.

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank 789Princess099
Newark, Delaware
“Good Chinese Food In South Florida”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

HK City plays two roles. It provides authentic Cantonese food to the Chinese of Broward County. It also caters to the elderly residents of the area. I observed at the table next to us the party ordered three types of egg foo young, while we had dim sum. The dim sum was fine, that is to say delicious because dim sum is inherently delicious, but not first rate in comparison with 1000 simple places in HK or NY Chinatown. But it was still delicious and it is available all day and even in the evening. (I am a sucker for dim dum at night.) So if you are looking for real Chinese food and you are in South Florida, this is the place for you. A welcome plus is that it always has customers but it is never crowded.

I am rating it four stars, but if the comparison is with other Chinese restaurants in the area, it would get 5.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Peter C
Delray Beach, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Top quality food and customers' service”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have been going to Hong Kong City BBQ for more than a decade. It is probably one of the best Chinese restaurants in South Florida. Although the restaurant is not your regular PF Chang style or environment, I strictly go there for their top quality of food and customer services. One of the reasons I go there is because they serve dim sum day and night. The variety of food they offer is definitely friendly for my Asian and American friends because they have tradition Chinese food, dim sum, and American-style Chinese food. I think that's why I like to bring my friends and family to that restaurant. I don't have any recommended dishes because everything the chefs cook is often above average which is why I always order different type of dishes every time I go there.

• Visited December 2012