“Travelers BEWARE”

Doubletree Hotel Tallahassee
Ranked #7 of 55 Hotels in Tallahassee
Reviewed October 18, 2010

I traveled to Tallahassee for FSU's Parents' Weekend and chose the Doubletree because of its location and convenience to the campus. I will preface this post by saying that the staff was very accommodating and did everything they could for me under the circumstances.

Every room's rate in Tallahassee is grossly inflated for this weekend every year, which is what the market allows. To charge $300+ per night and have to stay in unhealthy conditions is something that the State Board of Health will be hearing about.

We checked into our first room and, much to our dismay, found the wallpaper peeling in the room with mold/mildew growing behind it. We immediately asked for a new room. Again to our dismay, we were told the hotel was sold out for the entire weekend; however, the manager advised us to call back in the morning and if there were any "no-shows" (as there frequently are) we would be upgraded to a "deluxe" room for the same rate.

The following day we were upgraded to the "deluxe" room . . . . with EXACTLY the same mold, growing in exactly the same location --- all around the A/C unit. Once again we called to see what could be done. Now there were no other rooms available. Judging from the engineer's resolution to our problem, it is one that is very well known. He came to the room fully equipped with a bleach solution to spray on the wall, and a glue gun to glue the wallpaper back over the same mold. By the next morning, the wallpaper was again peeling.

Judging from the odor that hits you when you step off the elevators, I'm sure this is a common problem in just about every room.

I cannot understand how this hotel can remain open. Perhaps once the Board of Health and Florida's Hotel Association is notified, something can be done.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BDunn827
Write a ReviewReviews (1,635)

Reviewed October 13, 2010

I just found nothing that got made me happy or unhappy with this hotel. It was just bland. From the parking, service, room, cleanliness, and price, it was just okay. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was above average. Having to pay $10 per day for Internet access in my room was below average...especially for an apparent business meeting/downtown hotel. They would have to give the staff and hotel a makeover before this place would reach the point of my recommending this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
DoubletreeTLH, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Tallahassee, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2010

We appreciate your feedback and glad you had a great breakfast at Jacob’s Restaurant. We do provide our apologies on your less than average overall experience as guest satisfaction is our top priority. Our staff would have been more than happy to address any concerns during your stay. Parking is a premium in the downtown area and we do have a covered parking garage for our guests, as well as valet service to alleviate any parking hassles and ensure a pleasant stay while at our hotel. Additionally our property offers a technology package which includes internet use in the room rate that you may find convenient during your corporate travels as well as our 24 hour business center and complimentary internet access in the lobby. Please feel free to contact us if we can be of further assistance as we would love to welcome you to our property again.

Reviewed September 12, 2010

The first thing was the location. I came to Tallahassee to see Samford University play Florida State in football. I was dreading the drive to the stadium and back. I know how bad traffic can be at a major college football game. We could walk most of the way but there were buses to take us the short distance to the tailgate and on to the stadium.
But what was exceedingly wonderful was the way we were treated at the restaurant. The staff was undeniably the best I had ever seen. I have staid in five star hotels many times and the staff at Doubletree were by far better than any of the five star hotels. The treated us as if they had known us all of our lives.
Larry W. Cox DMD

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
DoubletreeTLH, Sales Assistant at Doubletree Hotel Tallahassee, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2010

Mr. Cox,
We are extremely pleased to hear you enjoyed your experience with us! As we are located in a "football town” we look forward to college football season each year and the guests that travel to our town on such occasion. Football season brings with it an aire of camaraderie, fall festivities and other such positive experiences that we love to share with our guests. We are appreciative of all our guests and attempt to express that appreciation though exceptional hospitable service (for example happy hour during football games- featuring special priced drinks-severed with a smile.) We would love to serve you again and help you cheer on your favorite team during one of the games...

Reviewed September 6, 2010

From the time we arrived early until we left the next day, the entire staff went ouf of their way to make certain our stay was enjoyable and up to the high standards of Doubletree. In particular Nelda made a recommendation for dinner on Saturday night that was excellent. She was back again Sunday morning welcoming us to breakfast and wanting to know how dinner turned out. She was also there with a smiling face, a hug, and a "Hurry back" as we were leaving.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family

At the Doubletree Tallahassee we believe all guests should feel as if our property is their home away from home- as you express you felt. Nelda, our Food and Beverage Director, expertly displays our commitment to exceptional customer service and is always more than happy to lend a helping hand or friendly suggestion-as are all staff members- to all who stay with us. We echo her wish to you and hope you do “hurry back” to our property where we look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed August 16, 2010

EXCELLENT!! No need to look for another hotel in the area.... Friendly & helpful personnel... Used to stay in Perry for my business trip in that town. Will stay here from now on...

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business

We strive for excellence in every aspect at our property and are more than happy to extend our commitment to excellence to you. The hospitality industry should exude friendliness and helpfulness as you have noted. We look forward to our continued partnership with you and wish you happy travels whether they be for business or for pleasure.

Reviewed August 4, 2010

The only good thing about this hotel is the location - it's close to everything. So if that is all you care about, then go for it. The view from or room as also very nice - BUT we didn't enjoy it much because of everything else.

We checked in very late, and the front desk clerk was very friendly I will admit that. She gave us cookies and checked me in very quickly.

DOWNHILL from there. You have to pay for parking in the garage everyday. You have to pay for internet EACH day. My room.... pretty gross. I felt like the other guest who said they were given a second-class room because they booked via Priceline... We booked via Hotwire.

It smelled of MOLD in the bathroom. The carpet was so dirty, I had to keep shoes on my poor baby's feet, and our own. I lifted him up to change my child's clothes for bed, and the bottom of his feet were blackened... UGH! No fridge.... Luckily I had a cooler and there was an ice-machine. I had to go all Mcguyver to make it work for my family. The towels in the bathroom smelled like they were clean, but had these VERY questionable stains on them. YUCK.

The beds were actually very comfortable, and we slept pretty well, but there was always that lingering MOLD smell.... We survived the stay, and on the last day had to pack up hastily and leave (the front desk did give us a later check out time - and sent an express checkout receipt to our room).

I live 4 hours away, and realized when I got home that I had left my engagement ring in the bathroom. I called them immediately and spoke with the front desk clerk who said she'd look into it and call me back. No call back. I called again the next day. They had nothing to report and said they would call me back. Again no call back. I called them again the next day and got a different person who had no idea about the situation, and transferred me to Housekeeping where no one answered and I was forced to leave a message. No call back from them either.

I was willing to deal with the not so great room, because the customer service during our stay seemed pretty decent, but once I was gone - it was like they didn't care anymore. This is my engagement ring I am talking about here (and yes it was my fault I forgot it) but I would think that they would give it more urgency (come on - people leave stuff all the time!!). And here's the deal - Housekeeping cleans the room when someone checks out - they HAD to have seen the very sparkly, very expensive ring - and must have pocketed it. Who else would have come into contact with it?? Would they not want to keep their good name, and make sure they did not have a theif among their staff? I guess it doesn't matter to them much. I am still investigation this and will not stop until I get some answers, but with great regret I can definitely say I won't be staying there again. I had much higher hopes and they have been ultimately crushed by this experience. We have 2 family members that go to college there and when our family visits we will invest elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2010

My wife and I travel to visit our children at FSU and from the moment we valet our car to check -in we are so welcomed by the staff you feel like you have this extended family 1500 miles away. We travel alot and have stayed in the best of places and the friendliness, and helpfullness of John Kelly, Lacora, Mama N. and the rest of the staff goes beyond what one would expect. The rooms have ALWAYS been clean and are very spacious. You have nice views looking over the city and the hotel has the best location if your vising FSU. The restaurant is like a hidden jewel serving some of the best eats we have had in Tallahassee. What ever your visit is to Tallahasse my wife and I highly recomend the Doubletree Hotel. See you guys in August and Mama N don't forget my Belvedere

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family