“Nice staff, but rooms not clean, no free internet.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Doubletree Hotel Tallahassee

Doubletree Hotel Tallahassee
Ranked #7 of 58 Hotels in Tallahassee
Boston, Massachusetts
“Nice staff, but rooms not clean, no free internet.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

I stayed here on a business trip for several nights. As with many of the other folks who reviewed this hotel, I found the staff to be friendly and accommodating. My room was spacious but I also found it to be not so clean--the carpet had some strange smells and in some places there was visible dirt on it. The iron in my room was so caked with dirt that I didn't take my chances with it on my work clothes. Otherwise, the room was very nice, with a lovely view of the capitol.

There is no free breakfast or free wireless internet in the rooms (you have to go to the lobby for that) which is a big downside for business travel. For food, there is a Starbucks in the lobby but the lines can be long and the service very slow.

I used the airport shuttle on my return to the airport, and had to wait a long time for the shuttle (I left 45 minutes later than I had thought we would). Fortunately I left a lot of extra time for getting to the airport, so it wound up not being an issue. However, if you choose to use the airport shuttle, you should definitely plan around this!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

There's a lot to be said for being able to find excellent accomodations at a moment's notice. Even tho we arrived late in the day, the room met our expectations, the staff was friendly and capable, and we had a good night's sleep.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

I loved this hotel. However I agree with a lot of reviewers here in that there was a damp humidity in the room. I had to leave the AC running or else I'd come back to a stagnant humidity. I think the hotel really needs to look into this problem before it become a serious health code violation. I was told this building is very old, my shower wasn't dispensing hot water, it was only after someone came up that I learned you needed to run the facet in the sink beforehand. I found everything else up to my standards. I was given a room with 2 doubles on the 9th floor facing the Bankruptcy Court house. The front desk was very helpful; providing me with a list of restaurants, allowing me to check out late and of course, giving me those DELICIOUS cookies!! I ordered a sandwich from Jacob's the on property restaurant, I had to wait an hour because they're only open certain times, The sandwich was HUGE! I made my boyfriend share it with me it was so big. There were a few places to eat in the area but they were closed for the holiday. There is a Starbucks downstairs but I found it closed on the 5th (why on the 5th but open on the 4th?) I took a quick trip around the block to a place called Goodies that had coffee, pastries and sandwiches. I'm bothered that Doubletree still charges for wifi in rooms. Really, it's 2011. I did not much enjoy Tallahassee (nothing to do with the hotel) but if I need to visit again, I will exclusively stay here!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DoubletreeTLH, Front Office Manager at Doubletree Hotel Tallahassee, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
We are so happy you loved our hotel. One of our top goals at the DoubleTree by Hilton Tallahassee is customer satisfaction and comfort of our guest. Because the age of our hotel, we do realize that there are some factors that need to be upgraded. We appreciate your positive comments and feedback. We have started our rennovation plans and will factor in your concerns. One of the biggest battles we fight in Tallahassee is the summer months with triple temperature rates. We would love to have you back and personally speak to our front desk manager at Tyler.Chesson@hilton.com so that we may start cooling off your room prior to your arrival.
FL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

I chose the Doubletree because it was close to our meetings in Tallahassee. I had stayed at other hotels in the city , and had always avoided the Doubletree because of less than stellar reviews. I wish I had this time. To be fair, the front desk staff was great. Friendly, accommodating and helpful. If only the rest of the hotel had been so. The high humidity in the elevator should have been a sign. When I arrived at my room, it also seemed damp, and there was a strong smell of cleaning fluids. I turned up the AC fan and left for a couple hours. Luckily, the smell was gone when I returned, but the air was still very humid. Papers I had left in the room were damp, and I noticed peeling wallpaper in several spots. The bathroom was OK on the surface, but then I noticed hair that was not mine in a couple locations. My room was on a higher floor, but I could still clearly hear street noise all night long. My colleague had to use my room the next morning to get ready, as the power went out in hers. The front desk staff were very understanding, but they can't make up for a hotel that is badly in need of major renovations. I expected more from a Hilton branded facility.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank citron95
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2011

Had to drop our teen off at FSU's summer camp ... after a 12 hour drive, the Doubletree Hotel in Tallahassee was perfect for a night's recovery before hitting the road again the next day. We received warm cookies at check-in and were able to get a room with two beds, even though the reservation clerk on the phone told me there were only king beds available. The parking garage had ample parking spaces and we did not have to pay the five dollar parking fee advertised on the hotel website. Easy entry from parking garage to our floor. Hallways seemed a little run down, but our room was clean, comfortable and quiet. Coffee makers in the room were convenient, but there's also a small Starbucks in the hotel lobby. Staff was pleasant and accommodating. We already have a reservation for our return trip next week!

Room Tip: Great restaurants in walking distance!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Panama City, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2011

When I got here and checked in the front desk employees were very nice. The parking garage is very tight and steep - hated it. The $6 charge to self park is a bit annoying. When I got to my room it was clean but the cover was left off the air conditioner and was propped against a wall to reveal a dusty AC. Not the best look. But the room was clean and comfy so no complaints there. They charge you $9.95 for 24 hours of "high speed" internet access -- which isn't high speed at all - it's fine for browsing simple web pages but don't bother trying to watch a YouTube video. The view from the room was nice. When I checked out the only person working the front desk seemed more interested in chatting on the phone, and barely spoke two words to me. But luckily every other employee I encountered was very nice. The only way I would recommend this hotel would be if you got it at a discounted rate like I did. Otherwise, I don't think it's worth it for the posted rate.

Room Tip: Use a discount travel site, not worth full price.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2011

Stayed 1 night in room 508. From the moment we pulled up to the hotel to the moment we checked out we were treated like first class visitors. We are a family of 4, 2 kids 10 & 12. My kids say it was the best hotel ever. Helped that they were greeted with waters and the best chocolate chip oatmeal cookies ever! GREAT front desk staff. Remembered your name. WOW! Great porters and housekeeping department as well!! Go here and you will NOT be disappointed with the service.

Hotel close to everything. Capitol, children's museum, FSU. Great farmers market Saturday morning right across from the front door of the hotel, Starbucks in the lobby, ate at Andrews capital grill. Good food, great waiter!

WILL return!!!