“Ok in a pinch”

Wyndham Garden Tallahassee Capitol
Ranked #43 of 55 Hotels in Tallahassee
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This an ok place to stay but there were a lot of things that are needed to bring this score up.

It's in the process of being renovated, which is great, but fixing it up nice versus just fixing it up, is quite different.

First and foremost the service by the check in staff was friendly and very helpful.

From there you either had to walk down a flight of stairs or take a small lift down one flight to take an elevator up to the second floor to get to your room. This isn't customer friendly accessibility. We had to take the lift, one person at a time. it was terribly noisy like it needed to be serviced.

Our room was ok, clean but even after its recent painting the room showed it still looked like it suffered from wear and tear. When we turned on the heat that night, (temp 40 degrees), black dirt specks from the heater fan blew back onto the sheets. Apparently, they forgot to clean the heater. We told them about it when we left. I'm not sure they got it.

The breakfast was ?, scrambled eggs very dry, grits lumpy, coffee lukewarm. They also had cereal, yogurt and fruit.

The crowning thorn was after checking out I went to use the rest facilities near the front desk only to find them trashed, and I mean trashes in a bad way to be unusable. I asked the front desk if they didn't check these things. They said they'd take care of it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
HICapitolCenter, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Tallahassee Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear J S,

We thank you for taking the time to post a review. Our staff always goes out of their way to be helpful and attentive to the guests and I am glad that you enjoyed their hospitality. As you noted above, we are making renovations and improvements as needed. Our hotel thanks you for the suggestions and takes all of them to heart. I am deeply sorry that your overall experience was less than you expected.

Holiday Inn Capitol Center, Tallahassee, Florida

Reviewed March 22, 2013

we stayed here overnight whilst on a four week driving holiday. The person on check in was very pleasant and friendly. A good start, but hotel design placed a staircase between reception and the elevator. I was struggling down with a couple of cases but fortunately a guy painting the hallway kindly stopped what he was doing to help me..

The room was clean and comfortable and breakfast was good Again the service was excellent.
Best tip I can offer is, if you have a lot of luggage, check in first and find your room before bringing your luggage in through the side/ rear entrance whch avoids the stairs.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
HICapitolCenter, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Tallahassee Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear Suepalin,

Thank you for your review on our hotel! Our staff does their best to make sure that the guests are happy during their stay with us. All of our employees are more than willing to help out when they see a guest in need. They will be pleased to know that you were satisfied during your stay here. We hope to see you the next time you find yourself in the Tallahassee area.

Director of Guest Experiences
Holiday Inn Capitol Center, Tallahassee, Florida

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I can't write a review for this hotel because we never actually made it to stay here. As a business traveler and a platinum priority member, holiday inns are usually a good bet. After booking a room here, I received a call from a staff member stating they had elecrical problems with some rooms and they found me a room at a close by hotel a quality inn... I called priority club after receiving the strange call and they informed me they actually overbooked the hotel, and would pay for the room at quality inn. After checking in at quality and being told it would not be paid for, we went to our room and opened up an email from holiday inn tallahassee that stated they had a cancellation, and we could stay there after all and they were sorry about the fact that they had to book us somewhere else because of the plumbing issue at the hotel.... Hmmmm electrical, plumbing overbook... Which is it? Holiday inn did end up paying for our room, but the chaotic runaround was extemely unprofessional and I will not be staying here for future business trips...

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
HICapitolCenter, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Tallahassee Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Hi Tampa1
We appreciate your feedback very much.
At times unexpected issues arise at hotels that cause rooms to become un-rentable. We did have a plumbing issue days prior of your scheduled stay which caused us to relocate multiple reservations. We find most guests prefer to be contacted in advance and made aware when something happens as apposed to at check in. We did everything in our power to ease the situation including making you aware as soon as a room opened up. We are very sorry you were upset about the way we handled this with you. Thank you for your platinum status and loyalty to IHG. If we can be of assistance in the future please let us know.
Chris Foerst

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed at this hotel and were pleasantly surprised. We look at TripAdvisor and Yelp to see what we can expect when we travel to other cities. We were prepared to encounter an issue or two but fortunately we didn't and we were there for 2 nights. The hotel is a bit old but is neat, clean and the staff was very friendly. We booked for a weekend in August.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
HICapitolCenter, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Tallahassee Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

March 20th, 2013
Dear nanzola,

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate your staying with us and look forward to hearing from you through the reviews. Our staff takes great pride in taking care of their guests. They will be thrilled to hear that you had such a positive experiences during your stay here. We look forward to seeing you in August!

Holiday Inn Tallahassee Capitol Center

Reviewed March 15, 2013

This has to be my 5th stay at this location. Every time I go to the Capital city I stay at this location. As a Platinum Priority Club Member I expect all the hotels I stay in to meet a certain standard. I have never been disappointed at this Holiday Inn. The staff is wonderful, rooms are extremely clean, parking is safe, location is wonderful. I can usually find a excellent value most of the time. I would recommend this property if you ever find yourself in the Tallahassee area.

Room Tip: I usually get the best value by calling the hotel directly to book.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

March 20th, 2013
Dear Chris W.,

First off let me thank you for being a Platinum Priority Club Member! We appreciate your dedication to our hotel as well as the other hotels that participate in the priority club. We are grateful that you shared your positive experience with us. Our staff works hard to make sure the guests have the best experiences. We hope to see you at our hotel the next time you find yourself in the Tallahassee area.

Holiday Inn Tallahassee Capitol Center

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I was visiting colleges with my son and found this deal on the internet. It was convenient to the campus an didn't cost an arm and a leg. It was an older version of the Inn and wasn't as well kept as others I've stayed at. It was safe and a good respite for a nite.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
HICapitolCenter, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Tallahassee Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Thank you for your review...I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have a great and affordable location with many close options for dining. With the mall accross the street and universities 2-3 miles away we have most needs covered!

Chris Foerst,

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Overall, the worst Holiday Inn property we have stayed at in 2+ years, & as a Platinum Priority Club Member, I have stayed in many. Holiday Inn does their entire brand a disservice with properties like this. They've allowed a franchise owner of an "old" motel, to install new signage & other minor easily visible identification, to give the mistaken impression that they have upgraded the property. Not so. The lobby has been upgraded, & it appears that they have installed new doors on the rooms, & perhaps new mirrors & lighting fixtures in the bathroom, but that's it. The carpet in our room was old, worn & dirty. Same old tired plumbing fixtures in the bath from the original incarnation, though it looked like they may have dumped in some new grout & tried to clean/cover the old tub. Old worn & chipped furniture, & a lounge chair/ottoman that was so stained & filthy that we would not use it. Stains & holes in the drapery shears & a bedskirt that was merely taken out of its packaging & put on the bed, with not a thought being given to the wrinkles & condition of it, & never been removed since. Front desk staff was courteous & professional. Too bad they don't work at a better facility.

Room Tip: Get a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Mr. SMVHOU,
Thank you for your review…we take each review to heart. As you shared, we have made, and continue to make, multiple improvements through out the property. I am happy you enjoyed our staff, they take pride in their hotel, hospitality and guest experience. I am very sorry to hear that your overall stay was less than you expected. I would have been happy to discuss your experience with you prior to your departure. Thank you for your loyalty to IHG. If I can be of assistance in the future feel free to contact me.

Chris Foerst,