“Extremely unfriendly and unhelpful front desk person”

Residence Inn Tallahassee North/I-10 Capital Circle
Ranked #25 of 58 Hotels in Tallahassee
Texas
“Extremely unfriendly and unhelpful front desk person”
Reviewed September 4, 2007

Arriving at 11 pm to check in, was surprised to find an uncharacteristically unfriendly front desk person. The person never greeted me, welcomed me, or smiled, even after looking up my Marriott Rewards information to see that I am a seasoned rewards member having achieved upper levels within Rewards. I am also a 3 week Marriott Vacation Club owner. She remained unfriendly to the point of rudeness during my check-in. I doubt she will even turn in my stay, so I plan on mailing it myself to ensure points.

Later, my wife wanted a blanket for herself and our son. Wife called to request 2 blankets and was told no, she couldn't have 2 because the hotel only had 1. My wife responded incredulously that she was amazed Marriott didn't have a blanket for every bed. Front desk person said the others were in other rooms. Wife asked if front desk person would then check an empty room for a second blanket. Front desk said that she would "see."

After a few minutes, wife went to front desk. Same person was working with re-coding room keys and didn't look up. Wife waited. Then, wife walked up and down in front of the desk and finally said, "You may be wondering why I am here." "Oh, no," said the front desk person. You're here for a blanket." The blanket had been sitting on the counter behind the guest area this whole while. Wife said, "May I have the blanket?" "No," said front desk person, while continuing to re-key cards "because you asked for 2 and I don't have the second." Wife says, "Most people would say "May I help you? or You must be the person who wanted the extra blankets. I'll be right with you." Front desk person stared blankly at wife and said she'd be back. She returned with a second blanket. Wife asked for her name. Maybe she gave her her real name, maybe not. Wife picked up the card for the general manager and will take this further.

If you stay here, be aware that either some front desk people are missing the slogan posted on the wall about being among friends at Residence Inn and their doing whatever it takes to create a satisfied guest." And if you're cold, you may not be able to get a blanket without really pushing the issue.

Stayed September 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
North Carolina
Reviewed March 12, 2007

We arrived in town with no reservations and were delighted to find this hotel. The staff goes out of their way to make sure you have everything you need. Very professional and friendly. Rooms were spacious, clean, bright and well maintained ( and we are PICKY! no tolerance for mold or dirty linens!). Didn't use the sofa bed - so can't comment. Breakfast was hearty and served in a clean dining area. Evening reception for guests was a nice treat. Location is near great restaurants, shopping and main roads through town. Would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a clean, safe, comfortable place to stay in Tallahassee.

• Liked — cleanliness, location, staff
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank NorthCarolinaLucy
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed July 25, 2006

In Tallahassee for a four day weekend. My husband and I reserved a two bedroom suite with my sister and her husband. Having the connecting sitting area allowed us a relaxing time to visit. The breakfast was quite good. Delicious hot cookies were served each afternoon!

The hotel staff was pleasant and accommodating.

If in the area again we would certainly consider staying there.

Stayed June 2006
Reviewed July 19, 2006

Nice one-bedroom suite. Indoor pool, good service (they'll even go grocery shopping for you). Excellent location, quiet room. I would stay there again. Reasonable rates.

Stayed July 2006
2 Thank GatorDocs
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 28, 2006

Very noisy hotel. Staff was inexperienced at handling problems. The rooms smell funny. You can't use the fireplace unless you bring your own fire logs (and how would I know that when going out of town?). Alarm clock didn't work. Wake up call never received. Check out bill never received. Lastly, an item left in my room was sent Fedex to me without my consent and the bill was charged to my credit card (I have a relative in the area who would have picked it up) without my knowledge or consent. Oh, and don't pay with a gift certificate. Not only do they not know how to apply them to the charges, they will charge your credit card for the ENTIRE amount anyway and not remove the charges for 3-4 days. Then they will deny you a credit even when your gift certificate was more than the hotel charges. Never again.

Stayed May 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Florida
Reviewed February 20, 2005

We probably know this hotel better than anyone. We relocated down to Tallahassee & lived here for a couple of months. The location is great in Tallahassee, right off of I-10. The staff is nice and friendly. The rooms need help, particularly the beds, HVAC & bathrooms. The beds are probably okay for the occasional visitor, but if you're staying longer than a week, they become very uncomfortable. The HVAC system needs help, ours froze a couple of times and I really question whether or not the ductwork is clean. It seemed that my allergies were very active @ night in this hotel. The bathrooms need help. A couple of the rooms, especially on the 3rd floor, have broken tiles, they shift and continue to crack. Not good. However, again, I'm probably being a little harsh to this hotel after 2 months here. If I was just passing through T'hassee, it would be a nice place to stay, but a long term stay isn't advisable.

2 Thank DairyQueen
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 5, 2003

Recently, I had to set up meeting space for an executive of my company coming to Tallahassee to meet with the management staff here. I was in touch with Michelle Wilson and Lyn Barrrington at The Residence Inn. This facility was the only one at the time in town that could accomodate us. What I didn't realize was that this was not a full service hotel and I was worried that I had put the staff in a place with no service. Michelle and Lyn did their best to reassure me that everything would be fine. I had dropped by the morning of the meeting to bring some reports to my supervisor and I was surprised to see that your people were doing their best to accomodate us. Things went great and the meeting went great too. I know I may have been a pain at times with Lyn and Michelle but you did great. Thank them for all their hard work and putting up with me! I would use you again!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member