“You get what you pay for”

University Inn & Suites Tallahassee
Ranked #38 of 55 Hotels in Tallahassee
Reviewed December 17, 2006

My sister told us to stay here for her graduation from FSU. We were excited about the room price and that we would be within walking distance of her event. The Web site made the motel look very nice, so I figured it'd be okay.

Overall, I'd say we got what we paid for and it was nice that we could walk to the graduation, especially since we saw other people struggling to park. However, our room had a terrible musty/smoky/moldy smell that stayed on our clothes so much that it about knocked us out when we came home and opened our suitcases. The bathroom sink and tub looked a little scary. I think they were clean but were old and stained. The sheets were clean, which is always my biggest sticking point.

The reason I'm posting a negative review is I think their Web site is very misleading. It says they just spent a lot of money on renovations and improvements and the photos make the place look much nicer than our room actually was. I shouldn't have been so naive to think we could get a place that nice for $50 a night on a crowded weekend, but we aren't from Florida, so I just figured it must be a cheaper market there than we're used to.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank TexasCone
UniInnService, Director of Sales at University Inn & Suites Tallahassee, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2011

We have upgraded and renovated our rooms in the recent years. A lot of these changes and renovations took place after 2007 and we are still constantly making changes to meet the expectations of patrons. While, we are not trying to mislead patrons about our renovations but merely informing customers we are making strides in the right direction. We took note of your complaints and fixed the issues with the smelly room and cleanliness of the bathroom. Our management and staff hope that you are willing to give us another try to see the improvements we have made.

New Bern, North Carolina
Reviewed May 21, 2006

My husband and I went to Tally for some job interviews and drove around looking for a hotel (the one we had booked was run down and dirty) and only saw hotels that looked like they rented by the hour. We then came across the University Motel and were super surprised. It was extremely affordable and nice. The furniture looked new and modern. The bathroom could have used a little bit of paint, but it was really clean. I recommend this hotel, especially if you are staying in the general area. There isn't too much to choose from near FSU, or TCC.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

We are glad you enjoyed your stay at our establishment and it's proximity near Florida State University. We have renovated and made changes to our bathroom. We hope that you stay with us again.

Reviewed January 7, 2005

If you don't know your way around Tallahasse and are there to check out FSU or visit a student on a short visit, this is the place to stay as it borders the campus and you can walk to all FSU buildings. If you are used to 4 or 5 star hotels, this is a major drop in stars but adequate for a quick stay. No plush anything but the location is great and you can also walk to the Loop for a great cheeseburger!

5  Thank scoutieboy

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our establishment and its close proximity to Florida State University. We have made upgrades and renovations to our rooms to accommodate for our patron’s expectations. In addition since 2005 there have been some new additions to Ogelsby Union such as Chilis' and Papa Johns which are in walking distance of University Inn and Suites. While, the loop has closed down it has been replaced by Tomahawk Bar and Grill which is also in walking distance. We hope you stay with us again to check out renovations and upgrades to our property.

Naples, FL
Reviewed January 17, 2004

I stay here every time I visit my boyfriend at FSU. It is practically on campus. The rooms are OK, they have comfortable beds and they are clean, but not the Ritz by any means. If you're going to Tallahassee and don't plan on just hanging around the hotel, and are especially there for a game or just to visit FSU, it is the BEST location in town.
And for a great price, and with friendly staff.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

We are happy to hear that you always choose to stay with us when staying in Tallahassee and our proximity to Florida State University. We hope that you come back soon to see our recent upgrades and renovations.

Milton, FL
Reviewed November 21, 2003

Was traveling to Tally for a conference at the Holiday Inn Select, but chose to stay at the University Motel due to it's location to FSU dorms. The night clerk was expecting my late arrival due to a possible rain delay, and he was extremely nice. I had less than 5 minute walk to my daughter's dorm (didn't have to drive around looking for a parking space!) and walked back after dark under well-lit streets. The room was not fancy, but it had everthing I needed for a one night stay. I will always stay here when in Tally as long as my daughter is in the dorms.

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Our staff was delighted to hear about your positive experiences with their services. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at our establishment especially being in walking distance of your daughter's dorm. We hope that you come back and stay with us soon.