“Great Location Makes Up for Negatives”

University Inn & Suites Tallahassee
Ranked #39 of 54 Hotels in Tallahassee
Reviewed June 25, 2009

Despite other reviews, my experience was not bad. Went for the kid's FSU Freshman Orientation (Living the Dream!). I had gone to FSU in the mid 80s and knew the area...so I knew this was a place I could leave the car and walk anywhere I needed to go. And it was. This is also a testament that the place is OLD....so much of the wear and tear is because of that.

True...it was not clean...they gave me Room 131 - a handicap accessible room though I did not need it. It smelled fine. The room did have dust etc in the corners, cigarette burns in bathroom (room did NOT SMELL like smoke so those must have been old), and a bug on the bathroom floor one morning.

BUT...service was very good...the blowdryer did not work...within 10 minutes of calling the office, I had a new one that worked fine. AND...the Bed was very comfy...sheets were clean. No bright lights shining in. Internet worked super! For me...it was quiet. Except when the kid texted me at 12:02 AM to tell me he wanted me to bring him some bottled water the next day. UGH! Haha!

All in all...the super convenient location was great and made up for any negatives. I walked wherever I needed to go. They let me leave the car there until we were ready to leave town. I would probably stay here again and request the same room.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
UniInnService, Director of Sales at University Inn & Suites Tallahassee, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2011

We were glad to hear that your stay was such a great one. Especially since you remembered our establishment from when you attended college and it's close proximity to Florida State University. Our management has been constantly upgrading and renovating the property to accommodate guests' needs. We reviewed our housekeeping checklist to ensure cleanliness of the room and our pest control services are doing their job. We are glad to hear that our staff was able to cater to any inconveniences you had during your stay. We hope that you come back soon and see the upgrades to the Ogelsby Union and the Tennessee Strip and choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed June 23, 2009

I'm actually typing this review from the hotel room! No fuzzy memories here. I'm here in Tallahassee for my younger sister's orientation at FSU. There are actually several good things about the property:

1. GREAT location as far as FSU is concerned. Walking distance to all of the orientation activities, never had to move the car or worry about parking.
2. The A/C works great.
3. Microwave and mini-fridge in the room.
4. The price is really cheap.
5. Free wireless internet.

However, there are an incredible amount of downsides to this hotel. While it's not necessarily filthy, it is very old. Any claims about a renovation can't be true. Sloppy stucco work, cheap looking paint, no screens on bathroom windows, grime and dirt in the shower, etc. I'm glad I brought flip flops to use as shower sandals, because I WILL be using them. So, the downsides:

1. Pretty dirty. Found some stains on the sheets. I'm afraid to touch much or walk barefoot in the room. The shower doesn't seem sanitary.
2. A/C leaks onto the floor - wet squishy spots all over the carpet.
3. NOISY!! This hotel is about 40 feet away from the big club and bar strip in Tallahassee. Our room sits about center in the building, but despite having the TV on and A/C blaring, I can still hear the thumping bass from the bars across the street. I periodically hear screaming/hollering. Mind you, I'm typing this at 11:15pm on a TUESDAY... I can only imagine what this is like for those people staying over a weekend. Not sure if this is the fault of a particularly noisy club, or a hotel with extremely poor sound insulation. Regardless, it is a disturbance.

So.. great location, free internet, great price... but not at all worth it. I will NEVER stay here again. You don't get much sleep with thumping bass.

• Stayed: June 2009

We appreciate your choosing University Hotel as your lodging while visiting Tallahassee and we thank you for your helpful feedback. We are glad you found the location and price to your liking as well as some of the accomodations. However, as we strive to be one of the premier hospitality locations near FSU, we apologize for the negative aspects of your visit. The cleanliness of our rooms is very important to us and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you have any future problems with the cleanliness of your room, please contact the front desk who will be more than happy to either send housekeeping or provide you with a cleaner room. As far as the noise from the bars across the street, unfortunately, in order for us to provide our convenience with FSU's campus, we are located in a busy, downtown area. However, we will be happy and willing to move you to a room near the campus-side of the hotel where there is much less noise. Once again, we are sorry to hear of your negative experience and will be happy to offer you one night free on your next visit to Tallahassee. We appreciate your business and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed June 15, 2009

I stayed here last week during my daughter's FSU orientation. Despite some negative reviews, I was tempted due to the very convenient location. Never again. It was dirty and scary. The carpet on half of the room was soaking wet and stinky. The second night I was jolted out of bed at 2:30 with what I can only describe as a complete riot going on outside. It lasted until 4am with the accompanying sounds of sirens, drag races, much too loud music, screaming and I swear, gun shots. Do yoursel a favor -- Don;t be tempted due to location. I only gave it one star because I couldn't give it zero due to system requirements.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo

We appreciate your choosing University Hotel as your lodging while visiting Tallahassee and we thank you for your helpful feedback. As far as the noise from the bars across the street, unfortunately, in order for us to provide our convenience with FSU's campus, we are located in a busy, downtown area. However, we will be happy and willing to move you to a room near the campus-side of the hotel where there is much less noise. Our management in the recent years have completed renovations and working on upgrading amenities for our guests in the upcoming months. We hope that you choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed May 23, 2009

I really only just slept in the room, but it was so conveniently located that I was able to leave my car parked at the hotel and walk to my destinations on FSU. The room was clean & a pleasure to sleep in. I'll be back for future stays.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and our proximity to Florida State University for your business travels. In recent years we have made upgrades to our establishment. Not including the recent changes to Florida State University including the Ogelsby Union which now includes a Chili's and Papa Johns within walking distance. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed May 4, 2009

I booked four nights at the University Inn and Suites. I arrived to find your typical motel - uncomfortable mattress, scratchy bedding, etc. But, for the price, that's what you typically get. What I did not expect was the 2 1/2 inch COCKROACH on the second night! I immediately packed up my belongings and let the motel know that I would be leaving and was willing to have paid for the first night there, but I wanted a refund for that night and the following nights. The person at the front desk could not help me but told me to call to talk with the manager the next day. The next day I got the run-around all day until finally Gina - apparently not the manager? - told me that I could have a 50% refund for the day that I left. I said that wasn't acceptable and I wanted to speak with a manager. She told me that the manager had told her to deal with the situation and that IF I INSISTED ON SPEAKING WITH A MANAGER, THEY WOULD TAKE THE 50% REFUND AWAY!!!! How can they refuse to let you speak to a manager?!!? To top this all off, because this was a work trip and they won't reimburse me for two hotels on the same night (since I left and stayed in a more expensive hotel), I needed a receipt for just the first night. Gina also refused to do this. I have never experienced such outright hostility from a hotel employee! I never once raised my voice or was hostile to any of the employees, and yet Gina was outright hostile!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank SlpDocStu

We are sorry to hear about your stay with us. We recently began responding to customer feedback to improve our customer service, we apologize for the delay. Upon hearing of your experience with our establishment, we notified our pest control services and began procedures to prevent rodents from infesting our property. The management has also changed its policies on handling guests complaints to better serve our patrons. Now, if there is a customer complaint, it is reviewed by the manager on duty. Our staff was retrained with these policies in order to better serve our patrons. We apologize for any troubles and inconveniences you had with our establishment.

Reviewed April 19, 2009

The room was better than I expected considering the location. It seemed clean enough but I would recommend bringing shower shoes. The beds were comfortable and the linens were okay. The bathroom linens were pretty cheap and thin. I was fairly happy with this hotel on Friday night but on Saturday night between the vibrating music from the bars across the street and the awful people partying in the room next door, I couldn't get any sleep. I think there are better deals further from campus where it is much more quiet. Unless you have to be right next to campus, I would suggest another hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family

We are glad you enjoyed your overall stay with our establishment. If you have any future problems with the cleanliness of your room, please contact the front desk who will be more than happy to either send housekeeping to clean the bathroom. As far as the noise from the bars across the street, unfortunately, in order for us to provide our convenience with FSU's campus, we are located in a busy, downtown area but our staff is willing to accommodate room changes to a quieter section of our property We have made renovations and changes to our rooms and hope you choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed March 5, 2009

I have been reading the reviews on this hotel (which I had read before I went last week) and I must have had a really lucky experience. This was a last minute trip and I needed somewhere cheap to stay. But I would like to clarify a few things re. the accomodation and location: the room cost me around 50 dollars (should have been for a King size room but they had none available so I was placed into a room with 2 queen sized beds). Compared to all the other hotels in the area, and other hotels in general, this is very cheap and you can't expect a 5 star hotel. The location: this hotel is right beside the university as well as being on a main road - of course it will be noisy. I, however, had no problem getting to sleep.

Overall, I had no problems with the room which was secure and relatively clean. The bathroom could have been cleaner but, again, I was saving over 50 dollars a night so I didn't complain. The bed was comfortable, there were around 70 TV channels, working fridge, microwave and coffeemaker (2 new sachets of coffee were left every day), and all the staff (front desk and cleaning) were friendly and helpful. Local calls from the room phone were free. Shops closeby for snack type food, several restaurants/ cafes/ bars across the road, a copy place with internet about 1min walk away (if you have a laptop with you, there is free wifi in the hotel), and right at the entrance to FSU.

I know this is a long review but I don't feel any of the reviews do it justice. If you want a nicer hotel, pay more than 50 dollars, if you need somewhere just to sleep and you don't mind a basic room (after all, most of a holiday is not spent in the hotel room), go here, if you have a young family, remember the hotel is beside a university.... Great for what you pay for.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank TravellerBelfastNI

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Our staff and management appreciate your feedback on our service and hope that you stay with us again.