“Eight Places above Rock Bottom”

University Inn & Suites Tallahassee
Ranked #39 of 55 Hotels in Tallahassee
Reviewed February 15, 2012

This means there are actually 7 worse hotel properties in Tallahassee. Kind of hard to imagine.
I'd seen so many negative reviews (I was forced to stay here by my employer), that I didn't think I had anything to add. But, I do.

Not as dirty as so many reviews would have it, in my opinion, but the service was abysmal. Normally that means the service was rude and uncaring. Not so here. The people were actually quite cheerful and pleasant. The service was simply totally uninformed and uninforming. When I asked for a doctor in the vicinity, I was told to use the phone book -- like an out-of-towner would have any idea who was nearby and who was 20 miles away by looking at addresses and phone numbers in a strange city. Has anyone here noticed that hotel stayers tend to be out-of-towners?

When I asked where I could buy some milk, I was told "We're new here; we don't know." How new would you have to be (unless you're a vegan, maybe) not to know where to buy milk? But even a vegan, or a non-smoker or a Mormon, working in a hotel, ought to be able to tell guests where to buy milk, cigarettes or alcohol. On the second day of my stay I knew where to buy milk. By the 3rd day I was a fount information compared to the owners and employees.

My room went uncleaned on the second day of the stay, as well. And they tried to blame it on me. This was the only case where I thought there was an attitude problem.

But the complete lack of knowledge of the neighborhood, even of the property, was appalling. They didn't know where the rooms were, had no lay-out plan of the property, and didn't think such information was necessary.

If this is the only place you can afford and/or if you have to be walking distance to FSU, it might suit you, but you will hardly go away satisfied, and will certainly try to figure out a way to avoid this property in future.

Room Tip: Really the best tip on finding a good room is to look for another hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed October 29, 2011

this place is only appropriate for a guys weekend in Tally for a football game. The rooms are dirty, the linens are worn out, the bathroom in gross. Families in town to visit kids at school stay away, just stay out by i-10, much nicer, newer hotels out there. Only a night of binge drinking will allow you to sleep in this hole. Also, bring your own blankets and pillows, or be prepared to lay your head on god knows what. It's also loud at night because your right on Tennessee st. across from all the bar action. My wife wouldn't stay in this place if it was free.

Room Tip: rooms in another hotel are better
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Soflajim
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I booked this hotel 3 months in advance for my graduation weekend because it looked to be convenient to the FSU campus. When we arrived, they gave us a smoking room (it smelled disgusting) and then wouldn't refund our money, even though I had the paperwork showing that I had booked a non-smoking room. The place was a pit - dirty, dark, gross bathroom.... it's probably fortunate we didn't stay there anyway. However, I can't believe they wouldn't issue a refund, stating that we cancelled too late. What a rip-off. Don't even consider this place.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
UniInnService, Director of Sales at University Inn & Suites Tallahassee, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2011

We have changed up our policies to allow improvements in our customer service. We have a detailed reservation policy and often entails our employees following protocols. We apologize for the inconveniences.

Reviewed August 5, 2011

It is move out weekend in tallahassee. I write this from the hotel room. My family paid $111 to stay in this dump. The air is not working and we are miserable. We called the desk and a man came and said the air was adequate (its lightly blowing luke warm air when its on high cold). He barely spoke english and was rude when we asked for our a different room or a refund. Its 2am and we have been trying to find another hotel but everywhere is sold out He changed the air filter and left. Its no better. We gave it 4 hours to cool off. Its so hot and humid. He tried to tell us it was hot in here because the sun shines on this room. Its 2am and the sun is not out. God i just want to be comfortable so i can go to sleep

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank ShanV1
UniInnService, Guest Relations Manager at University Inn & Suites Tallahassee, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2011

We apologize for the inconvenience. You should have informed the manager in the morning for the problems you had in your room. Our air conditioners have been inspected to ensure they blow cold air. Once again we apologize for any inconveniences we may have caused.

Reviewed June 24, 2011

This is a very cheap motel which is very well located for FSU. It is not clean, not comfortable, noisy, and a bit scary overall. The website is much nicer than the real thing. The bed is hard as a rock, the pillows were terrible . . . well you get the idea. If you're looking for a very cheap stay near FSU, no matter what else, you can survive this place. Otherwise there's better values elswhere.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Rolydamian

We are sorry for your stay with us. Next time if such a problem arises with the room feel free to ask for a room change from our manager. Our guests can request a room that is located in the back and is overall quieter. Our property is very safe as it is frequently patrolled by the Florida State University Police Department. We hope that you give us another chance so we can show you what our hotel truly has to offer.

Reviewed March 17, 2011

This place is nothing less than disgusting. I am currently here, awake at 5:30 AM because I am too afraid to get under the filthy comforter on the bed. The price of the room ($45) appealed to my 30 year old boyfriend who feels the need to come back to his alma mater and drink at the bars across the street from this hotel. (And on a side note, those bars are absolute hole in the wall establishments.) The noise level is just ridiculous. Especially for a Wednesday night. You can hear music from the bars across the street until 2 AM. I could hear the neighbors on either side of us till 3 AM. You can hear drunk people screaming out on the sidewalk. It sounds like nascar on the major street in front of the hotel. I swear the walls here are made of paper. There is no way you can get any sleep here. The inside of the room is horrific. The carpet is all torn, it's dusty, and the bathroom is so gross. There is mildew all over the shower curtain and the bottom of the tub is dirty. There were footprints on the bathroom floor tile when we arrived. Speaking of mildew, the room smells so strongly of mildew that I had a headache after about 2 hours of being in here. When the air comes on, it blows a huge, cold, mildew smelling cloud. The smell is just choking. I wanted to leave immediately when we got in the room, but it was already 9:30 at night and my boyfriend was tired. We were supposed to stay here two nights, but as soon as my boyfriend wakes up (which is hopefully within the next hour or two) we are checking out and NEVER returning. I know the price and location of this place relative to campus are appealing, but DON'T DO IT. It wil be the worst night of sleep you have ever had.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mandyds
UniInnService, Director of Sales at University Inn & Suites Tallahassee, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2011

On the behalf of the University Inn and Suites we would like to apologize for your experiences at our establishment. We were horrified to hear about the dirtiness of the room and have alerted our housekeeping staff to fix this immediately. Our front office staff would have accommodated a room change to a quieter and cleaner room. Once again we are sorry about your experiences with our establishment.

Reviewed February 13, 2011

If you're going to stay at the University Inn and Suites it's not going to be for the room amenities or the great sleep quality you'll receive. The only reason you're going to stay here is because it's hard as heck to find a parking spot anywhere on or as close to FSU as this hotel and the great rate for the location. Be aware that you may need to be quite inebriated or just a heavy sleeper (like myself) to put up with the parties that rage on weekends on the strip outside the hotel. It was perfect for me, but you may need to be aware.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
UniInnService, Director of Sales at University Inn & Suites Tallahassee, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2011

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our close proximity to Florida State University as we are located directly across from the Ogelsby Union. As far as the noise from the bars across the street, unfortunately, in order for us to provide our convenience with Florida State University's campus, we are located in a busy, downtown area but our staff is willing to accommodate room changes to a quieter section of our property. Our management in the recent years have completed renovations and working on upgrading amenities for our guests in the upcoming months. We hope that you choose to stay with us again.