“good time”

Ranked #9 of 58 Hotels in Tallahassee
Jacksonville, Florida
“good time”
Reviewed June 1, 2010

The beds were amazing probally best sleep I had in weeks. Room was very nice and unique. Also service couldn't of been any better from the bell boy and valet parking to the front desk and maids. Also the Roc was great breakfast spot.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Port Charlotte, Florida
Reviewed May 7, 2010

A great way to kickoff a FSU graduation weekend!!! On arrival we were greeted graciously by the car attendents and bellhops. The front desk allowed us to check in early, we called earlier to see if they could accomadate ua after a 6 hour ride to tallahasse. The Hotel Duval is a plesant surprise in the hotel industry, not to mention the best hotel in tallahasse. It is on the cutting edge of style and maintaining a class edge over the rest of the field. The entire satff was courteous, knowledgable and extremely helpful with all facets of the hotel industry. The rooms in the hotel are of a european style, sleek, efficient,clean, and with large flat screen tv's. The bathrooms are small with overhead showers, but very natilly attired.. With a roof top lounge overlooking tallahasse and a Shula's steakhouse, you will enjoy an upbeat but relaxing visit to Hotel Duval. At the end of the night you turn in to a pillow top mattress for a wonderful nights rest.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
atlanta
Reviewed May 5, 2010

My gosh, by the sounds of some of the reviews, you would think this place is a dump. Quite the contrary. The location is excellent. Right downtown. The valet was nice and not overly expensive. The front desk was AMAZINGLY NICE. I experienced 4 different people from the front desk while I was there, and they were all super nice and helpful. The rooms were on the smaller side but not "NY small". Plus, I got one of their cheaper rooms. I thought the amenities were really nice: Nice tv, nice computer on the desk, very nice bathroom, robe. The bed was very very comfortable.
Dining: They have Shula's downstairs which is a reliable steakhouse. I always seem to have a good meal when eating at various Shula's. For breakfast, I had milk, eggs and ham and it came to $7.00. Usually, coffee and juice is $7.00 at most places. This was a BARGAIN.
Complaints: I only have two and one is very personal so generally speaking, one complaint. My personal complaint is the floor of the shower. I think it is a cool idea and certainly very attractive. I have a nerve issue on one of my feet and litterally could not stand on it. It was torture. The second complaint might resonate with more people. The intense aroma on each of the floors is too much. I would highly recommend taking down a notch.
All in all, this hotel is much better than some of the reviews would lead you to believe.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
sea cliff, NY
Reviewed May 2, 2010

Another possible title for this article would be "The Emperor's New Hotel".

I was traveling with my sister to Tallahassee to see her son graduate from FSU. I thought it would be nice to stay in really nice hotel for this trip, so I read many glowing reviews of Hotel Duval and it seemed like it would be the place. It was located near the campus and her son's apartment. It seemed like just the ticket to help with the festive occasion.

I should have paid closer attention to the video of the Grand Opening of the Hotel posted on the website however. The video is strange. Bikini clad dancers, musicians hanging from the ceiling - just strange. I just laughed it off, but it was an important clue to what was to come.

This is a really really strange place. If Universal Studios or Disney wanted to create a way to experience a David Lynch movie from the inside, Hotel Duval would be that ride. Imagine yourself in the Eraserhead Hotel and you would be in Hotel Duval. The decorations were an odd collection of stuff (from fake zebra skins on the floor to peculiar lighting fixtures, to plastic ceiling tiles made to look like wood) that was designed I guess to dare you to say you don't like it because if you do you won't be cool or in the know.

From the moment of our arrival our experience here was less than ideal, some of which I suppose had to do with things beyond Duval's control and some a direct result of the weirdness of the place.

My sister and I were going to share a room, so when I booked it through Expedia, I booked a single room with two double beds. When we arrived, however, we were given a room with a single queen sized bed. I returned immediately to the front desk to request a room consistent with what I had reserved through expedia. I learned, however, that you should never book a room through Expedia (at least as far as Hotel Duval is concerned) because the reservation of a room with double beds is considered a request that may or may not be granted at the time of check-in. In my case they claimed to have no more rooms with double beds. A review of the expedia reservation indeed revealed that the reservation of double beds was in fact simply a request that may or not may not be granted by the Hotel. Live and learn. Just another reason never to use Expedia.

But it did represent a test of how the hotel would respond. It seemed that the Hotel and Expedia do not get along. I overheard the conversation of the manager of the Hotel with the representative from Expedia. The manager asked Expedia to cover the cost of another single room at a two night premium rate even though the first night was not sold at that rate. The manager also offered Expedia the option of paying a $15 fee for a rollaway bed. I ultimately gave up waiting for Expedia to decide whether or not to pay for a separate room and finally agreed to have a rollaway bed sent to our room.

When we then went up to the room to have a closer look (we saw the single bed and turned right around) we then got the most amazing surprise. The hotel rooms in Hotel Duval do not have doors. Rooms in the Hotel Duval are essentially on an "open plan" in which the bathroom area opens into the room separated by a translucent (not opaque) glass screen that can be made to slide over the entrance (like a glass curtain). This isn't just the sink area with the toilet and shower off to the side. The toilet faces the bed directly.

Here is the Emperor's New Hotel Room in full force. You mean you have a problem using the bathroom separated only by what amounts to a translucent glass curtain? You are so old school. You are not trendy. What's wrong with you? The Emperor's New Clothes are spectacular. I wonder whether you can pay extra to have the translucent glass curtain removed altogether. Who needs privacy in the bathroom after all but people who aren't as fashionable and trendy as people who go to Hotel Duval? Given the configuration of the bathroom without a door, imagine a hotel room in which the toilet is simply a fixture in the room, like a writing desk.

We we returned to the Hotel that evening, there was no rollaway bed set up as promised. I called the front desk only to be told that the truck was delayed in delivering it. By about 10:30 PM or so, however, I got a call saying that it wasn't ever delivered for some reason. I suspect the reason is that it was never actually ordered. As a result, the Hotel offered me a free room across the hall for the night. This was excellent and something for which I was greatly appreciative, although I suspect that they had determined at that late hour, that the room was going to be unsold anyway. But still, I appreciated it and bravo to the staff for making the gesture.

The following night I was promised the rollaway bed. On arriving back to the hotel after graduation ceremonies, the rollaway bed was indeed there, but there were no sheets blankets or pillows. It had been promised to me that it would be fully set up and made upon my return. A quick call to the front desk for bed clothes resulted in someone appearing at the door relatively soon with the bedclothes. He handed them to me for me to make and set up the bed. How nice. The rollaway bed was wonderfully uncomfortable, but that isn't Hotel Duval's fault. Rollaway beds are not known for their comfort. A $150 Aero bed would have been more comfortable. Maybe Hotel Duval could invest in a couple as an alternative to fake Zebra skins on the floor of the lobby.

I gave the Hotel Duval good marks for cleanliness. It was clean. It is located nice and close to FSU, and the room is as good as any tobe asleep in (sleep quality).

I gave the room a one star rating because the bathroom situation is simply absurd. Similarly, the value is a one star rating because the hotel is very expensive for the location, and instead of getting some sort of luxury cool hotel you get a distorted shadow of what someone's idea of a trendy hotel should be. I have experience staying in hotels of nearly every variety, from the most modest to trendy big city hotels to luxury resort hotels.

Take a modest, clean inexpensive hotel, throw a couple of zebra skins on the floor and some peculiar "modern" artworks on the wall, and raise the prices to $299 a night and you have the Hotel Duval.

Hotel Duval also sports a popular trendy bar on the 8th Floor which, while we were there, put a bit of a strain on the two small elevators during the evening. A couple of drunken bar goers joined us in the elevator when we returned from graduation.

Hotel Duval is just very strange. It is clean. But for a lot less money you could get that same level of cleanliness AND a door on your bathroom. But if you like the idea of having the bathroom and your bedroom be one in the same, and don't mind paying for that privilege, then Hotel Duval might be just what you are looking for.

Good luck.

• Stayed April 2010
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2010

Beautifully decorated eclectic hotel in the heart of Tallahasee. One of the most fun hotels I have stayed in. Rooftop bar, wonderful steaks at Shula's Grill, cozy bistro with Starbucks, a great wine bar within walking distance. The hotel had a great clientele and friendly staff. Every request we had was handled immediately. I was very impressed with the in-room touch screen computer with access to all hotel information, as well as free internet. I had a really great time and look forward to staying there again next month!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
HotelDuval, General Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 29, 2010
Thank you very much for taking time to share your feedback regarding your experience! The associates of Hotel Duval take great pride in offering the most gracious, anticipatory and genuine service possible. Whether for business or pleasure, our goal is to make every visit the experience that all others are measured against. We genuinely look forward to your return.

Regards,

Marc B. Bauer
North Carolina
Reviewed April 19, 2010

This is where Florida State sends their football recruits to stay, so you know it's nice! We stayed here during the FSU Spring Game weekend. Peter Warrick, EG Green and many other past Florida State greats were staying there as well.

The rooms are amazing. The beds and pillows were so comfortable! Plasma television... Over the head shower with smooth stone floor. The only complaint I have is the lack of parking. There are only about 10 parking spots on the side of the downtown street so you pretty much are required to pay the $12 valet parking fee. The good news is you can come and go all day at the $12 rate.

I highly recommend this hotel and will be staying here again!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Marietta, GA
Reviewed April 10, 2010

From the moment we checked in, we encountered a very attentive staff. I've never had the General Manager greet me at the front desk and assure me that our stay would be more than we expected. What a treat! We can't wait for a return visit.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple