“Boutique hotel with downtown location”

Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection
Ranked #10 of 55 Hotels in Tallahassee
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel is located right in downtown Tallahassee. It's an old building renovated in the last few years. The guest rooms are rather small and not very comfortable. The bathroom is not very separate, with just a sliding glass door to close it off. The glass sink doesn't have much space for makeup, etc. nor does the small shelf above it. The floor in the shower stall is pebbles and very odd to stand on. The lighting is terrible in the room - no way to work at the desk with enough light or put on makeup in the bathroom. The only window is very high and small and impossible to see out of. The front desk staff was very friendly. The restaurant food was good but the service was much too slow for tired business travelers who just wanted to get back to our rooms.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

The Hotel Duval is a Tallahassee Landmark, located blocks from the Capitol Hill in "Downtown" Tallahassee. I have stayed at the Duval before, when it had converted from the original Duval to a Radisson. The Radisson had made upgrades to the hotel, but the Duval took it up a notch. This hotel has been majorly renovated from its predecessors with Marble floors, River Rock Showers, Great Art and fine furnishings, not just in the rooms, but throughout the lobby and common areas as well, which includes a wonderful Shula's 347 Steakhouse. Rooms have all new bathrooms with glass sinks and showers. I stayed at this hotel shortly after it had converted last time, I had a few problems with the hotel, but it appears all those problems have been addressed. The rooms are tastefully decorated with a Scandanavian feel. The room I stayed in was a king room equipped with a Flat Screen TV, Ipod Dock, Speaker Phone and even a PC for your use, with a touch screen counsel. This room is also equipped with nice work area and small fridges are all standard. Parking is valet only, which is good, because the prior tenant always had parking situations. There is a (very popular) roof top bar, at the property, but although we were on a high floor did not hear anything over two days. The property has a very nice breakfast nook/coffee shop combo as well as the previously mentioned steakhouse. The staff makes great efforts to make you feel welcome. Without any doubt, among Tally Hotels, this is one of the best. My wife loved the hotel, especially the shower. For you Marriott Elites, this hotel has no conceirge, but they do give you a coupon for breakfast.

Room Tip: Corner Rooms, are where it is at.
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I'm a loyal Marriott client, and as this is now part of the family, I gave it a try. The interior is very sleek and dark. The rooms are darker. As a platinum member I am used to a high floor with a king bed, neither of which I received at Duval. The contemporary design is nice, but not functional - closet was very small for my business attire, I couldn't get the frosted glass sliding door to open for the shelving so piled everything on top of the dresser, and I habitually turned on all the lights to give me enough light to read. The furniture is all black and the window shade is also dark. Would be a fun place to party, but not conducive to the business traveler.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Noleone, General Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Dear Woozel,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Let me begin by apologizing for failing to exceed your expectations.

Hotel Duval is part of the Autograph Collection which affords the hotel the opportunity to retain its autonomy while allowing Marriott Rewards members to book reservations as well as redeem and earn rewards points. As you travel and visit other Autograph Collection properties you will find that all are unique and distinct in their character and design. These design characteristics sometimes preclude benefits awarded at traditional Marriott branded properties. Please consult your rewards benefits or the Marriott rewards desk to determine which benefits are applicable to each respective brand.

While I can certainly appreciate that design characteristics are an acquired taste, I think you might be surprised to learn that over 50% of Hotel Duval's business mix is corporate business and of that 50%, most are repeat guests. Hotel Duval also has a very strong and loyal following of Marriott rewards members.

I will address the lighting issue you described with our Chief Engineer to determine an action plan. In the meantime, the hotel will always add additional lighting to any guestroom upon request.

Should your travels bring you through Tallahassee in the future, I welcome you to contact my office directly so that I may personally facilitate your reservation. Thank you again for sharing your comments.

Regards,

Marc B. Bauer

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I understand artsy. I understand boutique. I don't get putting rounded stones as the shower floor in the bathroom. For me, boutique does not cut it if you completely cut out functionality. The shower was incredibly uncomfortable to shower in in light of the riverbed floor. The see through sink..unique, but there was barely any room for any toiletries. If I was not traveling on business alone, I am not sure where a second toothbrush would have gone. The lighting is not good if you are planning to do actual work in the room. Also, as the room closest to the elevator, I got to hear the door slam shut after every time it opened. All night.

The good: the lobby and room were beautifully decorated and very clean. Shula's is directly adjacent making a wonderful on site dinner option. The helpful front desk staff promptly moved my room when the first one smelled of cigarettes. The coffee at the downstairs cafe was great, although I object to what they call a "croissant." The location is great if you have business downtown or at FSU. However, I won't stay here again unless they change the shower floor.

1  Thank ecotourist08
JamesPRoberts, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear ecotourist08,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent experience at Hotel Duval. The massaging river rock that is the shower floor is designed to be relaxing and soothing, but it appears that this was not the case for you. With that said, we do have some rooms that do not have the massaging river rock, but they are ADA rooms. Should your travels bring you back to Tallahassee, please feel free to reach out to me directly so I may personally facilitate your reservation.

Regards,

Reviewed September 23, 2013

The only reason I look forward to my having to travel to Tallahassee is to stay at the Hotel Duval. The first time we stayed, it was our hotel of last resort. We ended up getting in very late and the staff was incredibly helpful and attentive. This great attitude has greeted us each time we've come to Tallahassee - the Hotel Duval is now our go-to hotel. The rooms are well designed, comfortable, clean, and smell great. I can't ask for more than a great physical layout and an even better staff - everyone makes a great effort - all the time, from the Valet's to the cleaning staff, to the front desk staff. This hotel could almost want to make me visit Tallahassee more frequently.

Dear FLAGTB,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent experience at Hotel Duval. We are delighted to learn that you had another great experience here. Thank you for making us your go-to hotel, and we looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Convenient location, but this hotel has tried so hard to be a boutique experience, it has lost some key features. There is insufficient lighting in the room to work. The shower floor is river rock and the stones hurt your feet. The shower head (a large square) disburses the water in a pattern that makes it difficult to get your body rinsed. The A/C is very loud. The desk chair (seat and back) is strapped with elastic that pinches if you don't have every inch exporsed to it covered. The other chair in the room is so avant garde that it is very uncomfortable. The windows are slits and remind you of what you see on the outside of prisons. The closet and dresser drawers were not pratical and difficult - no handles on the drawers, the closet so small you can barely hang your clothes. There was no where to really put your luggage - no luggage rack. The bathroom sink (glass and sloping inward to the bowl) was so small you have to put your toileties on the toilet. The staff are young and helpful. The rooms are clean. The food is good.

Dear PensacolaESC,

I am not sure if you know that Hotel Duval is part of the Autograph Collection which affords the hotel the opportunity to retain its autonomy while allowing Marriott Rewards members to book reservations as well as redeem and earn rewards points. As you travel and visit other Autograph Collection properties you will find that all are unique and distinct in their character and design. These design characteristics sometimes preclude benefits awarded at traditional Marriott branded properties.

Should your travels bring you back to Tallahassee, I truly hope that you will give Hotel Duval another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Looking for a place to stay on a business trip, this is my second time "resting" at The Hotel Duval.
The first night I checked in, the noise in my room was a bit loud because of ambulance sirens. When I called the front desk manager, Nakisha, she was eager to make sure that I was happy with my stay and changed my room immediately. I was also grateful to receive a handwritten note from her wishing me a good night's sleep. And, I did have a great night's sleep in the very comfortable beds.The courtesy of all staff members at Shula's Steak House, Level 8's rooftop bar, and the front desk and valet; make guests, myself included feel very welcomed and I look forward to returning to this hotel when I am in Tallahassee.

Dear barbara5650,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Your kind words are greatly appreciated by the entire team, and we look forward to your return.