“Showering in riverbed is not for me”

Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection
Ranked #9 of 58 Hotels in Tallahassee
South Florida
“Showering in riverbed is not for me”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I understand artsy. I understand boutique. I don't get putting rounded stones as the shower floor in the bathroom. For me, boutique does not cut it if you completely cut out functionality. The shower was incredibly uncomfortable to shower in in light of the riverbed floor. The see through sink..unique, but there was barely any room for any toiletries. If I was not traveling on business alone, I am not sure where a second toothbrush would have gone. The lighting is not good if you are planning to do actual work in the room. Also, as the room closest to the elevator, I got to hear the door slam shut after every time it opened. All night.

The good: the lobby and room were beautifully decorated and very clean. Shula's is directly adjacent making a wonderful on site dinner option. The helpful front desk staff promptly moved my room when the first one smelled of cigarettes. The coffee at the downstairs cafe was great, although I object to what they call a "croissant." The location is great if you have business downtown or at FSU. However, I won't stay here again unless they change the shower floor.

1 Thank ecotourist08
JamesPRoberts, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear ecotourist08,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent experience at Hotel Duval. The massaging river rock that is the shower floor is designed to be relaxing and soothing, but it appears that this was not the case for you. With that said, we do have some rooms that do not have the massaging river rock, but they are ADA rooms. Should your travels bring you back to Tallahassee, please feel free to reach out to me directly so I may personally facilitate your reservation.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Tampa
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The only reason I look forward to my having to travel to Tallahassee is to stay at the Hotel Duval. The first time we stayed, it was our hotel of last resort. We ended up getting in very late and the staff was incredibly helpful and attentive. This great attitude has greeted us each time we've come to Tallahassee - the Hotel Duval is now our go-to hotel. The rooms are well designed, comfortable, clean, and smell great. I can't ask for more than a great physical layout and an even better staff - everyone makes a great effort - all the time, from the Valet's to the cleaning staff, to the front desk staff. This hotel could almost want to make me visit Tallahassee more frequently.

Dear FLAGTB,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent experience at Hotel Duval. We are delighted to learn that you had another great experience here. Thank you for making us your go-to hotel, and we looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Convenient location, but this hotel has tried so hard to be a boutique experience, it has lost some key features. There is insufficient lighting in the room to work. The shower floor is river rock and the stones hurt your feet. The shower head (a large square) disburses the water in a pattern that makes it difficult to get your body rinsed. The A/C is very loud. The desk chair (seat and back) is strapped with elastic that pinches if you don't have every inch exporsed to it covered. The other chair in the room is so avant garde that it is very uncomfortable. The windows are slits and remind you of what you see on the outside of prisons. The closet and dresser drawers were not pratical and difficult - no handles on the drawers, the closet so small you can barely hang your clothes. There was no where to really put your luggage - no luggage rack. The bathroom sink (glass and sloping inward to the bowl) was so small you have to put your toileties on the toilet. The staff are young and helpful. The rooms are clean. The food is good.

Dear PensacolaESC,

I am not sure if you know that Hotel Duval is part of the Autograph Collection which affords the hotel the opportunity to retain its autonomy while allowing Marriott Rewards members to book reservations as well as redeem and earn rewards points. As you travel and visit other Autograph Collection properties you will find that all are unique and distinct in their character and design. These design characteristics sometimes preclude benefits awarded at traditional Marriott branded properties.

Should your travels bring you back to Tallahassee, I truly hope that you will give Hotel Duval another opportunity to serve you.

Coral Springs, Florida
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Looking for a place to stay on a business trip, this is my second time "resting" at The Hotel Duval.
The first night I checked in, the noise in my room was a bit loud because of ambulance sirens. When I called the front desk manager, Nakisha, she was eager to make sure that I was happy with my stay and changed my room immediately. I was also grateful to receive a handwritten note from her wishing me a good night's sleep. And, I did have a great night's sleep in the very comfortable beds.The courtesy of all staff members at Shula's Steak House, Level 8's rooftop bar, and the front desk and valet; make guests, myself included feel very welcomed and I look forward to returning to this hotel when I am in Tallahassee.

Dear barbara5650,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Your kind words are greatly appreciated by the entire team, and we look forward to your return.

Naples, Florida
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We visited our granddaughter in Tallahassee & stayed at Hotel Duval. Lovely smells in the rooms, and each floor is a different frangrance. This hotel is close to FSU campus, and all the great college eateries! Gorgeous view from top floor-not to be missed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
JamesPRoberts, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Dear Pamela C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent experience. We appreciate your kind words and we hope to see you again soon.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Hotel was modern, clean and convenient. Bathrooms have glass tempered doors which are a little strange. WIsh their was more selection on breakfast. The top floor lounge was nice.
Our room was right by the elevator and was a bit load as they were having a reunion on the top floor lounge.
Each room had a mini fridge which was great.
Overall would go again for a "couples" weekend, not family.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear CHMAG22,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at Hotel Duval. Yes, our rooms are a bit unique which is a consistent theme throughout the Autograph Collection with Marriott. I am sorry that it was not the most "functional" for you, but I hope that the rest of your stay more than made up for it. We look forward to seeing you again should your travels bring you back to Tallahassee.

Miami
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I was told this was the "best hotel in Tallahassee", which no offense to Tallahassee, isn't saying much. My preferred home in Tally Town is the Governor's Inn, but it has no exercise room, restaurant, or room service, so my husband decided to try this "boutique" hotel for a recent visit. While prepared to be disappointed, I was actually pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable our stay here was. Valet Parking is the only option if you drive, at $12 a night. Check in was easy and painless. Rooms here were $150 a night (plus taxes), about $20 more than staying with the Governor. Our room, #227, was at the end of the hall, facing the street and very quiet. The room was quite large, decorated nicely, with a desk area, mini fridge, coffee maker and blow dryer. Our queen bed was large enough and comfortable, with a comforter (not a cheap polyester bedspread) and not too fat pillows. The bathroom has a sliding frosted door to the toilet and shower. The glass sink, while cool-looking, left little room for our stuff; a shelf hanging nearbyhelped with storage of toiletries and make-up. The shower had a rain-style showerhead, with black rocks on the shower floor providing a mini massage for the feet. The rooms were cleaned promptly and an ice and soda machine were nearby. On our first night, we had drinks at Level 8, a club/bar on the roof which offers a lovely view of Tallahassee and a DJ spinning tunes. The front desk staff and valets were all very friendly and helpful. There is a place to get breakfast and lunch (Le Roc) in the lobby, with Starbucks coffee and $3 Bloody Mary's. Don Shula's 347 restaurant, where we ate our last night, is here as well. We had a nice dinner there. The exercise room, according to hubby was small, with two treadmills, an elliptical machine and free weights. It did have water and towels. Perhaps the nicest part of Hotel Duval, conveniently located near downtown and FSU's campus, is the lobby area, which offers all kinds of seating. Decorated in a chic, contemporary style with gilt, metallics, orchids and art, it feels tres chic in this southern town, where magnolias and Southern Living decorating, usually rules. A water dispenser, flavored with strawberries and mint, gives the reception area a spa-like feel. I would definitely return here on my next stay.

Room Tip: #227 was nice and quiet, at the end of the hall and near the ice machine.