“Stylish and reliable hotel in downtown Tallahassee”

Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection
Ranked #10 of 55 Hotels in Tallahassee
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed at Hotel Duval for two weekend nights and overall were extremely pleased with the experience. Our room was small-ish but very well organized, functional and stylish. The most unusual feature, I suppose, is the bathroom which is in the corner of the room and can be enclosed with two large frosted glass doors.

Other plusses were the desk with many electric outlets, so were we able to easily charge two phone and an ipad at night, and free and speedy wifi.

We only ate at the restaurant on the last morning, when we had a small snack and coffee. The pastries were very good and it was good to have an option in addition to the all-you can eat egg/sausage/bacon breakfast (which they also have).

The only negative I would say is the valet parking, which we used both nights. The staff were fine but I question whether they're really needed, since they hotel has a nice paring lot just next to the building. Why can't I get the car myself? Some people will enjoy this because of the association valet-parking has with luxury, but for me it added very little.

The hotel is close to a walkable part of downtown Tallahassee (and there don't seem to be many of those) and the time we were in town there was music and entertainment nearby, and a number of restaurants and bars open. It's also close, by car, to FSU and FAMU.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed here during a Conference for business recently. This hotel is very chic! Very contemporary furnishings and interior. I loved the rooms here and they were VERY reasonable in terms of price. The shower was AWESOME! Very natural and spa-like. Additionally, I asked the Front Desk if there was a place nearby to run and I was promptly given a map of a nice 3 mile loop from the hotel to a Lake/Park just down the street. When I came back in from my run, I was given a free bottle of water from the Front Desk. Everyone here was very helpful and accomodating and I loved the accomodations! I highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Duval for my first visit back to Tallahassee since 2002.

The Hotel Duval looks more like a boutique property you’d find in New York City rather than Tallahassee. The design is sleek & modern, with bright white linens contrasting against dark wood in each guest room. Each floor of the hotel is a different “theme” – we stayed on the 3rd floor, which was done in calming neutrals. Stepping off the elevator, guests are greeted with a pleasant vanilla scent. If you’re a light sleeper, ask for a room not on the 7th floor – I’ve heard from more than one person that the 8th floor lounge can be rocking late into the night. Our room was a decent size for a city hotel & the stylishly modern bathroom was a highlight of the space. The showers feature a rainmaker showerhead & river rock floors (mini-massages for your feet as you bathe!). Some people have noted that they didn't think the bathroom was private enough, but my husband and I didn't find that to be a problem (you could certainly see the outline of someone through the frosted glass door, but that was about it).

Each guest room also features an interactive, electronic computer system, which gives guests the ability to make dinner reservations, request their car to be brought around by the valet or read about local attractions, all with the swipe of a finger.Request a corner room – the extra windows are welcomed balance to the dark furnishings of the room.

99.9% of the guests who were there during our stay were in town to see the Florida State vs. Wake Forest football game. The hotel did a great job embracing the game day atmosphere, with a FSU football helmet greeting guests on the front desk, staff decked out in FSU-gear on Friday during check-in, & a special pre-game brunch. Despite this, I have no doubt that Hotel Duval would be an equally comfortable hotel for a business stay.

The hotel has several on-site restaurants including a Shula’s Steakhouse & a rooftop lounge. The rooftop space is the perfect place to relax after a long day of business meetings or football cheering & watch one of Florida’s famous sunsets. The drinks are incredibly reasonably priced ($4 house wine) & the service is attentive. On Friday evenings & late in the evening on Saturday’s, the lounge attracts a younger crowd, dressed to the nines & ready to party at one of Tallahassee’s nicer (if not the nicest) bar spaces.

On my next return to Tallahassee – hopefully in less than 10 years – I’ll gladly stay at the Hotel Duval again. It’s nice to finally see some posh hotel accommodations in a town that can definitely support them.

Parking at the hotel is valet only. It’s $12 a day with unlimited in & out privileges. The valets are speedy about getting your vehicle, even when they’re very busy. The hotel is located convenient to downtown & the capital, FAMU & FSU. It’s just a short drive to the shops & restaurants in Midtown & is about a two mile walk to Doak Campbell Stadium.We walked to the game and back on Saturday with no problem, but drove much of the rest of the visit (even though we're used to a very pedestrian lifestyle). The hotel is also an easy walk to the Capitol.

David, a hospitality student who was working at the front desk much of the weekend we were there, was fantastic - answering my tons of questions and marveling with me at how much Tally has changed (there wasn't even a Starbucks when I was a student there!).

Room Tip: Corner rooms offer lots of light; ask for a quiet room if you're a light sleeper (NOT on the 7th...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I've stayed on 5 occasions on business trips, 2 to 4 nights each time. The decor is very polished and unusual, some of the furnishings / fixtures take getting used to. The rooms are roomy, clean and comfortable, nice bed, nice desk and chair, good WiFi, nice bathroom fixtures, nice TV. Two restaurants on the main floor and several others within walking distance. The 8th floor bar is a nice popular hang-out, and the outdoor patio up there has nice views. The facilities for business meetings were excellent. I participated in meetings in 3 different conference rooms there. The service and catered food were excellent tasting. Staff was very professional, friendly and helpful. Free shuttle service to/from airport was very helpful.

Room Tip: Street side can be a little noisier, especially lower the floors. Being directly under the 8th floor...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Resort feel in a non resort town. Can eat, stay, and entertain without leaving hotel. Always stay here when coming to TLH. Staff is also very friendly, eager to please, and prompt. They have a great restaurant on the grounds and a great bar on the roof that is a nice place to grab a drink, take in the town, and watch the game. Duval provides a great value whether visiting for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The Hotel Duval is a Tallahassee Landmark, located blocks (walkable) from the Capitol in "Downtown" Tally. We have stayed here before, when it had converted from the original Duval to a Radisson. The Radisson had made upgrades to the hotel, just not enough, the Duval now is ready for prime-time. This hotel has been majorly renovated from its predecesors with Marble floors, Great Art and fine furnishings, not just in the rooms, but throughout the lobby and common areas as well, which includes a Shula's 347 Steakhouse. Rooms have all new bathrooms with stone river showers and glass sinks in the rooms. I stayed at this hotel shortly after it had converted last time, I had a few problems with the hotel, but it appears all those problems have been addressed. The rooms are tastefully decorated with a ScanDesign feel. The rooms are small, fine for a biz traveler or if you are in town with a spouse, not so good if you have any kids in tow. I stayed in a king room equipped with a Flat Screen TV, Ipod Dock, Speaker Phone and even a PC for your use, with a touch screen counsel. This room is also equiped with nice work area and small fridges are all standard. Parking is valet only, which is good, because the prior tenant (Radisson) always had parking situations. There is a (very popular) roof top bar, but although we were on a high floor did not hear anything over two days. The property has a very nice breakfast nook/coffee shop combo and even has Shula's 347 Steakhouse, a real plus for me. The staff makes great efforts to make you feel welcome, and although young, Staff like Shawn in housekeeping made me feel like I was more a member of a club then a guest at a hotel. Without any doubt, amoung Tally Hotels, this is one of the best hotels. My wife loved the hotel, completley, especially the shower head and riverrock floor. For you Marriott Elites, this hotel has no conceirge, but they do give you a coupon for breakfast. One of my complaints last time, was that they did not recognize "elite" status with Perks, but they did this time, very much so. I felt the check-in was up to par. I guess what is best, is that, it is very clear that management listened to its guest in the first year and made many adjustments. I feel this that even at only eight floors, the sky is the limit!!!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are a little bigger, eat at Shula's and bill your room, it is very rare you can get...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank jerrythetraveler
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel is beautiful! But as much as it has going for it, it has just as much going against it. I stayed here with my boyfriend and 2 of his guy friends (all sharing one double bedded room to save money). The room was $425 a night and we stayed for 3 nights. We stayed here to attend the FSU game. The hotel does not accommodate groups very well.
Pros:
The hotel is beautiful! It has a very modern, chic look to it and really makes you feel like you are in an upscale, posh hotel. The rooms are very nice with plenty of storage space. The beds are very comfortable as well. The roof top bar was very nice although much too crowded! The shower floor is very nice with the river stones to massage your feet. The location was great for us. It was close enough to the Stadium and the bars without making us feel like we are "on top" of the partying.

Cons:
The hotel only has 2 elevators and at nights they are EXTEREMLY crowed with people going up to the Level 8 bar. The should have an elevator just for guests to get to their rooms. The partying did not bother us at all since that is initially what we were in town to do. But what bothered me was arriving at the hotel at 11pm (after driving 5 hours from Tampa) and having to wait 30 min to get on an elevator just to get to my room. I had a lot of bags and needed to make 2 trips (could never find a bellman for assistance). I was not able to get an elevator to stop on my floor to pick me up to take me back downstairs. The elevators either skipped my floor or they were too crowded to get on. I ended up having to take the stairs (my boyfriend had an injured leg and could not take the stairs so he had to just stay behind and wait for me since he couldn’t get an elevator to pick him up) The stairs were even more of an inconvenience since it does not lead you to the lobby but instead leads you outside to a back ally that does not feel safe at all. My second time around i asked the front desk if there was a service elevator i could take with my luggage and they informed me that there was no service elevator. I know this is not true because I actually work at a hotel and know that every hotel has a service elevator. I was not offered any assistance either.
Putting the elevators a side, the rooms are not meant for groups. Like many of the other reviews, the bathrooms are HORRIBLE! NO PRIVACY AT ALL!!! The bathroom has no doors, just two fogged sliding walls that come together. Whoever is in the restroom others outside the restroom can see a silhouette of whatever you are doing. I did not feel comfortable changing or showing and definitely not going to the restroom. I had to go down to the lobby bathroom to feel comfortable (i love my boyfriend’s guy friends but not so much to take a #2 publically in front of). At night it was the WORST! Anyone who needed to use the restroom would wake everyone else up. Being that there is no door, the bathroom light lit up the entire room and the "wall" would rock and smack against the hinge constantly. We had to make it a rule that at night, if you needed to use the restroom to not close the wall nor turn the light on. U had to use your cellphone light to see. It was horrible!
The shower is nice with the rain fall shower head and river stone flooring but the shower literally felt like rain... no water pressure at all! I took me forever to shower to get the soap out of hair and body. The soap they provide you also leaves a slimy finish so you can't tell if you wash it all off or not. The towels we were provided with were horrible. They were shredded! I would not expect that from a nice hotel like this. This was horrible. Our room was also never serviced. We left the room from 10am and returned at midnight and never had our room serviced.

Moral of the story is.... I will never stay here again until progress is made to this hotel. It i without a doubt NOT WORTH $425 a night!!!

Room Tip: Parking at the hotel is I think $13 a night but on weekend street parking is free.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JodieNP
Noleone, General Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Dear JodieNP,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your feedback.

I am sorry that we failed to exceed your expectations. There are actually three elevators in the hotel; two that service the guestroom floors and one that is dedicated to servicing the eighth floor exclusively.

The dates of your stay represented the largest citywide special event to be held in Tallahassee in the past twelve years; the FSU/Clemson football game. The enormous popularity of Hotel Duval and Level 8 created unprecented demand which impacted elevator flow. With only 117 rooms and under normal circumstances, the elevators are more than sufficient to accommodate the traffic lift.

The contemporary design of the bathroom and frosted glass enclosure create additional space in the guestrooms. I would not argue that the Select Guestroom which you occupied may not be optimum for a couple and an additional accompanying friend. We feature suites which are much better suited for multiple occupancies.

In all, I am glad that there were pros to your visit and very sorry that they were outweighed by the cons. I invite you to return on a football weekend that does not represent that "perfect storm" level of unprecedented demand on the hotel, its outlets and Tallahassee in general. Please feel free to contact my office directly so that I may personally facilitate your reservation.

Regards,