“As much as it has going for it, it has just as much going against it!”

Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection
Ranked #11 of 55 Hotels in Tallahassee
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel is beautiful! But as much as it has going for it, it has just as much going against it. I stayed here with my boyfriend and 2 of his guy friends (all sharing one double bedded room to save money). The room was $425 a night and we stayed for 3 nights. We stayed here to attend the FSU game. The hotel does not accommodate groups very well.
Pros:
The hotel is beautiful! It has a very modern, chic look to it and really makes you feel like you are in an upscale, posh hotel. The rooms are very nice with plenty of storage space. The beds are very comfortable as well. The roof top bar was very nice although much too crowded! The shower floor is very nice with the river stones to massage your feet. The location was great for us. It was close enough to the Stadium and the bars without making us feel like we are "on top" of the partying.

Cons:
The hotel only has 2 elevators and at nights they are EXTEREMLY crowed with people going up to the Level 8 bar. The should have an elevator just for guests to get to their rooms. The partying did not bother us at all since that is initially what we were in town to do. But what bothered me was arriving at the hotel at 11pm (after driving 5 hours from Tampa) and having to wait 30 min to get on an elevator just to get to my room. I had a lot of bags and needed to make 2 trips (could never find a bellman for assistance). I was not able to get an elevator to stop on my floor to pick me up to take me back downstairs. The elevators either skipped my floor or they were too crowded to get on. I ended up having to take the stairs (my boyfriend had an injured leg and could not take the stairs so he had to just stay behind and wait for me since he couldn’t get an elevator to pick him up) The stairs were even more of an inconvenience since it does not lead you to the lobby but instead leads you outside to a back ally that does not feel safe at all. My second time around i asked the front desk if there was a service elevator i could take with my luggage and they informed me that there was no service elevator. I know this is not true because I actually work at a hotel and know that every hotel has a service elevator. I was not offered any assistance either.
Putting the elevators a side, the rooms are not meant for groups. Like many of the other reviews, the bathrooms are HORRIBLE! NO PRIVACY AT ALL!!! The bathroom has no doors, just two fogged sliding walls that come together. Whoever is in the restroom others outside the restroom can see a silhouette of whatever you are doing. I did not feel comfortable changing or showing and definitely not going to the restroom. I had to go down to the lobby bathroom to feel comfortable (i love my boyfriend’s guy friends but not so much to take a #2 publically in front of). At night it was the WORST! Anyone who needed to use the restroom would wake everyone else up. Being that there is no door, the bathroom light lit up the entire room and the "wall" would rock and smack against the hinge constantly. We had to make it a rule that at night, if you needed to use the restroom to not close the wall nor turn the light on. U had to use your cellphone light to see. It was horrible!
The shower is nice with the rain fall shower head and river stone flooring but the shower literally felt like rain... no water pressure at all! I took me forever to shower to get the soap out of hair and body. The soap they provide you also leaves a slimy finish so you can't tell if you wash it all off or not. The towels we were provided with were horrible. They were shredded! I would not expect that from a nice hotel like this. This was horrible. Our room was also never serviced. We left the room from 10am and returned at midnight and never had our room serviced.

Moral of the story is.... I will never stay here again until progress is made to this hotel. It i without a doubt NOT WORTH $425 a night!!!

Room Tip: Parking at the hotel is I think $13 a night but on weekend street parking is free.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JodieNP
Noleone, General Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Dear JodieNP,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your feedback.

I am sorry that we failed to exceed your expectations. There are actually three elevators in the hotel; two that service the guestroom floors and one that is dedicated to servicing the eighth floor exclusively.

The dates of your stay represented the largest citywide special event to be held in Tallahassee in the past twelve years; the FSU/Clemson football game. The enormous popularity of Hotel Duval and Level 8 created unprecented demand which impacted elevator flow. With only 117 rooms and under normal circumstances, the elevators are more than sufficient to accommodate the traffic lift.

The contemporary design of the bathroom and frosted glass enclosure create additional space in the guestrooms. I would not argue that the Select Guestroom which you occupied may not be optimum for a couple and an additional accompanying friend. We feature suites which are much better suited for multiple occupancies.

In all, I am glad that there were pros to your visit and very sorry that they were outweighed by the cons. I invite you to return on a football weekend that does not represent that "perfect storm" level of unprecedented demand on the hotel, its outlets and Tallahassee in general. Please feel free to contact my office directly so that I may personally facilitate your reservation.

Regards,

Marc B. Bauer

Reviewed September 21, 2012

My business partner and I stayed at this hotel for a conference. We were wowed. Very European in feel, it is contemporary and beautiful, with river rock, slate and sand-blasted glass bathrooms, comfortable beds and plenty of in-room gadgets. The bar - at the top of the hotel overlooking the city - was a great place to gather and relax.

However, it was the service that really made believers of us. Everyone went out of their way to help us in whatever way possible - even if it was a manager volunteering to carry packages to our room so we wouldn't have to wait even a few minutes for a bellman. And the complimentary ride to the airport in the Cadillac... we felt like princesses.

All this for a VERY reasonable rate. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Had another great stay in Tallahassee this week. The room was stylish, on the second floor, and quiet. Staff was pleasant. I only wished there was self parking since it is a steep fee. There is plenty to see and do within walking distance. Book directly with the hotel .

Room Tip: If you need a quiet room be sure to say so.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I travel to Tallahassee twice a month for work. I usually stay at the Hilton, because Hotel Duvall is out of my budget. However, I often can get a room here for $119 a night. The price fluctuates from $119-300. So if you are wanting to book at the Duval but its a little too expensive but you are flexible with your dates check other dates! I LOVE staying here! It is RED CARPET service!! I am always pleased. The food is excellent, service is amazing, the hotel is chic and very clean! It is the BEST hotel in Tallahaasee, you almost forget that's where your at....the decor, service, sunset views, 4 star resturant on property make you feel like your in Laguna California! Cheers, and may your stay be as fabulous as mine always is.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Weeksmaryb
Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Having seen many a room in tallahasee for football game weekends I was pleased to get the duval for a reasonable rate on a game weekend. The room was clean, large tv, modern and comfortable. The window ac unit like you see in an old motel seems out of place and is loud. Not crazy about the valet parking and the noise from the roof bar was loud well into the early morning. For the reviews complaining about it not looking like a normal Marriott I say why would you want it to?? The room is plenty nice and I'm not sure how much more privacy you could need in the bathroom unless you were staying with a stranger. Overall a very decent stay especially for tallahasee where decent hotels are few and far between. If the price is right we will return

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I have stayed at the Hotel Duval twice in the last year for business travel. Each experience has been great, and I intend to stay again. From the minute you drive up to the hotel, the staff is welcoming and accomodating. After a long drive to Tally, I appreciate the offer of free bottled water and fresh fruit at the front desk. The rooms are classy, clean and comfortable. The pebble flooring in the shower help mend aching feet after a long day. My only regret is not being able to stay longer to thoroughly enjoy the hotel and its ammenities. An excellent experience for the price!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I have stayed at Hotel Duval on numerous occasions. From the moment they valet your car your great experience begins. The front desk agents are articulate, professional and courteous. The bartenders at Level 8 are super! Not to mention that it's location on Monroe Street is perfect for my sales calls. I stay in Tallahassee about 4 - 5 times a year and always stay at the Hotel Duval. You can't go wrong there.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business