“Nice staff, Dirty Room, Manager Doesn't Care” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Governors Inn

Governors Inn
Ranked #25 of 59 Hotels in Tallahassee
Jacksonville, Florida
“Nice staff, Dirty Room, Manager Doesn't Care”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Let me say that the valet staff and the front desk staff were super nice and try very hard to make it a good experience. However, the manager doesn't care and the room cleanliness level is terrible. We checked in and first found that the bedspread was dirty - like someone had stepped on it and possibly even bled on it. The front desk staff came and replaced it when we mentioned it, but wouldn't you think that it would have been all set up on arrival?

The room and hotel is old, but has so much potential if there were more care taken of it. Lighting is poor, carpet is old, furniture is antiquish but doesn't fit the room well.

My wife tried to make the best of it and decided to take a shower. The tub was in desperate need of a serious scrubbing. As soon as she started the water, the tub started filling up. The drain was so clogged it was as if the drain was closed. I unscrewed the drain cap and it was all plugged with hair and soap residue. I called the front desk and the front desk attendant herself came with a bottle of bathroom cleaner spray and CLR. She used the CLR to unplug the drain (weird choice). And whatever she did to clean the tub didn't make a dent.

The televisions are laughable. giant armoires with tvs that maybe have 19" screens at best.

Oh, and Wi-fi is so buggy that it's easier to just log on to the free wifi from the Jasmine Cafe next door.

So we chose to leave about an hour after checking in. When we reached the front desk, the manager was there and she didn't even say one word to us to either try to get us to stay or apologize for our dissatisfaction.

Again I must say that the hotel has so much potential. Someone could invest some money and energy and really make it an outstanding property. For now, I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cboivin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I secured a reservation and received confirmation in November 2012 for Parent's Weekend in Tallahasse in October 2013. I booked through the hotel website and received confirmation via email. Ms Kelsey Montes - Director of Hotel Operations - just contacted me and said they would not honor the rate of $139 that is on my confirmation. The new rate would be $389!!!!. She said she has no idea how I made the reservation and that they are not final when you receive confirmation via email!! What kind of establishment is this????? The Florida Attorney General's Office is being contacted as well as the Better Business Bureau and Dept of Consumer Affairs. If the hotel's website allowed me to confirm a rate, you should be honoring it!!!!! I'll make sure to spread the word of your business practices.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
11 Thank jameson1313
Boca Raton, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was testifying in Tallahassee in front of State Senate Committees, and needed a hotel. I was booked at the Governor's Inn by my organization. I don't agree with the reviewers who make the place sound like a horid hovel on the bad side of town. (Aren't state government towns all bad anyway?) The room was small and clearly adapted as a boutique hotel from an existing building. It was clean, but not new, and was overpriced. (I paid $200/night). If it is your only option, do be afraid- go for it. If you have other options, explore them. Upside is that it is close to other hotels, FSU (If you're into that kind of thing- GO CANES!!!!) and the FL state capital.

Room Tip: As far away from the front as possible, high up, but there is no elevator, so bring a small bag.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Brad O
Scranton, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

old musty inn!Frankly shocked at the quality of the place.We chose a loft studio .IT was disgusting ,blinds in room was broken .the sink in the bathroom was draining at a snails pace.We requested extra pillow ,which looked like old blood stain.We were sooo disappointed .infact we shortened our stay by 2 days as we could not thinking of stay another night.I would never recommend this inn to anybody!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Bharati e
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

While the booking was last minute, and I probably was given whatever room was available, try to avoid this hotel if the only room available is the Governor Brown room - 102. Noisy, dirty and very tired and expensive - $250 out the door for one night. The bed linens were at least 10 years old, the tv is a small 13 inch propped up on top of an equally old and tired armoire which served as the closet. Not only could you hear the people next door, you understood their conversation. Then there's the proximity to the lobby - every conversation could be heard. Might be a great location, but it's no excuse for not upgrading the rooms to more quality standards. There are way better options in Talahasse.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank John P
Tampa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Perfect location in the heart of the capitol, but quiet, peaceful, restful and an absolute delight. Love the loft suites with a fireplace complete with Duralogs. Nice continental breakfast in the mornings, and enjoyable beer/wine/soda happy hour in the small lobby gathering area (not a bar that's open to customers) from 5-6. The beds are to die for, valet parking is very convenient, and the marketing deal with the Jasmine Café (20% off if you show your Gov's Inn room key) right around the corner is a great idea. The only drawback, there are a few small maintenance issues that don't seem to get taken care of between visits--housekeeping just props the bathroom cabinet door back up instead of having repaired, and same thing with the blinds--it looks fine as long as you don't touch it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jennifer C
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have stayed at the Governors Inn at least five times, and each time it has been a very pleasant experience. My son, who lives in Tallahassee, asked why I stay there, preferring some of the newer kids on the block- The Doubletree and ALoft. While I have stayed at both, I always come back to the Governors Inn, because it reminds me of staying in a friend's cozy home, rather than a sterile hotel. Having said that, I understand his reservations, because this is a real Tallahassee hotel, where you feel they know you and your comings and goings. One time my daughter and her cousin got locked out of the hotel when returning after 1 AM. So, on the plus side, it is a Southern style hotel, nicely decorated with high beams in the lobby area, free breakfast and happy hour from 5 to 6. I have always looked forward to my glass of wine and the last time I visited, after an 8 hour drive from Miami, I rushed upstairs to change, rushed down, only to be told Happy Hour was over. It was 6:05 pm. Obviously, the right thing to do would have been offer me a drink, but the answer from the front desk was "I'm sorry you missed it." Breakfast is good- coffee, fruit, cereals, breads and some delicious granola. CNN was on TV constantly in the lobby and when I asked the girl if the TV was always on that channel she replied "Yes m'aam. We just try to keep it on something neutral." Uh huh. The rooms are named after Florida's Governors and are furnished nicely. There is free internet, complimentary toothpaste and a coffee maker in the room. The location is great, especially if you have kids at FSU, as it is within walking distance of the campus, as well as other attractions like the Natural History and Science Museum. The capitol is right down the street, but if you want to stay during session or parents weekend, make your reservations way in advance. Valet parking is $10 a day. There are many restaurants within walking distance- Harry's, Andrews and there is a discount (20%) for Jasmine Cafe, a sushi/thai restaurant nearby. On the negative side, on my recent stay, the water pressure in the shower was not very strong, there is no gym, gift shop or room service, although they do have "snacks' for purchase in the lobby. Depending on where your room is located, it can be noisy. Stay away from the street and lobby, and there is no safe in your room. The staff is very friendly (except when you want a drink after happy hour), the valet guy was super nice. I paid $134 a night with my AAA discount, which I think is a good deal for a room in Tallahassee. So if you're looking for service with a smile and a hotel with down home charm, Governors Inn is for you. If you're a workout fanatic who craves privacy, this is not your bag baby.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the lobby.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo