“Good Value” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #50 of 58 Hotels in Tallahassee
Fenton, Michigan
“Good Value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2011

Front desk very friendly and efficient. Room was clean and bed was comfortable. Lots of choices on the breakfast buffet, too. It's a little far from the FSU campus - 20 minute drive if traffic is bad. Very close to restaurants, shopping.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
North Fort Myers, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

I made our reservation through priceline.com. Usually we stay at the La Quinta on Apalachee Parkway because it is close to my daughter. What we didn't realize when we'd planned this weekend, that it was Graduation Weekend for FSU and FAM and rooms were at a premium.

When we finally arrived at the Days Inn, the check out clerk was very nice and charming. It didn't hide the fact that some young boy was running around behind the counter distracting her. And just because she was charming didn't mean that I didn't notice that she waited on the 4 college gals that came in behind me.

I make my living on the internet and know how to make reservations. I had reserved (and paid for in advance) 2 beds in a non-smoking room. We drove around the building to our room it felt like we were entering a DMZ. Half of the rooms were unoccupied, with doors open, curtains sagging, furniture outside. It was crazy.

Our room consisted of a king sized bed. The smell of smoke was so thick I couldn't breathe. As an ex-smoker I remember the days of being treated like a second class citizen because of my habit...but I had specifically requested a NON smoking room. I called the front desk.

Again, the desk clerk was very charming although passive aggressive. If I wanted two beds and a non smoking room, why did I order a smoking king? I explained to her that I didn't. She sighed (just loud enough for me to hear her) and told me that she would call her boss and see what she could do. We waited for about 5 minutes in the room, gagging.

She called back and explained that her boss was reluctant to give us another room. She implied that priceline really screws over the motels and that they make NO money. However, she eventually gave us a room -- non smoking, 2 beds.

The room was shabby but clean. As a matter of fact, the whole facility is shabby. The beds were okay except that the blankets were of some type of rubberized velour that felt disgusting. The staff was nice.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
daysinngov, General Manager at Days Inn Tallahassee-Government Center, responded to this review, November 18, 2010
Thank you for your response .

We are family onwed and operated. I can appreciate your frustration with our a child being behind the counter. As parents, we sometimes forget that this situation could be a major distraction to our customers. We will minimize such situations in the future and appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

As for the DMZ. We had a huge plumbing issue during this time period. New Furniture had to be taken out of rooms and unfortunately much of it had to be discarded. The good news is that we now have newer furniture in many rooms.

As for your room type issue. Had a non smoking room been available I would have gladly assign it to you. Research had led me to understand the issue arrised from the 3rd party to Wyndham reservation system, Although we were a victim as well we could've handled this situation better than we did and our apologies to you.

Although we can't change your experience, we remain hopeful that you will give us another opportunity to deliver the service you deserve. We do appreciate your business.
Somerville, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2010

I would like to say something positive about the Days Inn South, in May 2010.

This was a very plain, conventional motel room -- but mainly it was remarkably clean. There were absolutely no bad motel room smells. Everything - tub, shower walls, rug, furniture, telephone, sink, toilet, mirrors, tv set and towels had been cleaned with care. The room had a microwave and small refrigerator, which I really, really appreciate, because I prefer own choice of food than eating at restaurants. The bed was well made, clean and comfortable and I slept very well.

I don't normally write reviews, but I was actually impressed by the cleanliness, amenities and low price, so I felt this Days Inn deserved a good word. The room was $50, close to the lowest other rates I found. This motel was sparsely occupied, but not quite vacant. Clerk was very friendly. There was free breakfast of some sort, but I didn't take advantage of that.

The attached photo was just a snapshot - I wasn't thinking of writing this review at that moment.

For comparison, the next night (and for business reasons) I stayed at a hotel (Cabot Lodge) where the government-negotiated price was $100. Fancier, yes, and very nice staff, but the bed was not as well made or as comfortable, and I thought the pillows smelled a little. I did not sleep as well. Notably there was no in-room refrigerator or microwave (although there was ice in the hallway, and there was a microwave in the lobby). The room lighting was better, and there was a sofa. In all, I liked the Days Inn South better for $50 less.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2009

We just needed a place that was convenient for bypassing Tallahassee on our way south. I booked this place with points. Despite having read the reviews, I didn't think it would be too bad for one night. It is a very old place and it shows (although they were doing some painting outside and the tub walls and bathroom countertop had new granite). It's going to need a lot more than that. There was a gap of a couple of inches between the bottom of our door and the floor so I asked for a different room--same there too. I called and a guy finally came with a towel to cover the gap! The carpet was old and dirty. The fixtures are old. The room has that old smell to it. I couldn't get my laptop hooked up to the Internet. Although we had a good sleep (it was quiet), I'd stay elsewhere until this place has major renovations--unless your wife isn't fussy!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2009

Nice Room. Just been remodeled. Clean. Comfy. Close to nice restuarants and shopping.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
sammy1
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2008

This was the NASTIEST place. Blood on the comforter had to change rooms 3 times all rooms were filthy people at front desk told me it was under new Management and ownership and the new owners cut back on the cleaning staff second room I was sent to was unmade and had beer bottles all over. Third room had black hair and things leftover from prior guest.The manager does not care. You get what you pay for!!!!
This hotel if you can call it that is hazardous to your health with all the mold. keep searching

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Jt-tallahassee, General Manager at Days Inn Tallahassee-Government Center, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
This guest has stayed in a room which were phasing out due to our remodeling into totally new rooms as our pictures would show .I do apologize that it had to be that way but it was a transition from old to complete new .We are looked upon as this old bad motel due to such review .Please help us in pardoning this situation for only wish to be depicted as a remodel property .I would appreciate your effort in seeing this with a little compassion .Our business are badly hurt due to wrong representation .Thank you again .
Las Vegas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2008

I stayed here last night and I was very surprised and PLEASED with the NEW RENOVATIONS. They dont have the hotel total completed yet but i have to tell you. I was very shocked at the "new room" they put me in. It was new comforters, sheets and bed, new bathroom tiles on the floor and walls, new counter where the sink was. THe room was freshly painted and had new carpet. I read the other reviews and was EXCITED to write my review and tell about the outcome of the remodeling. They are still working on parts of the hotel but I WOULD GO THERE AGAIN!! The price is good and it was like staying in a brand new hotel. I asked for one of the new rooms and there was no problem getting it. I cant say how the original ones were but from the reviews - I really dont want to know either. TRUST ME - I am a singe 44 yr old woman and I was traveling along and when I got to the hotel I was kinda impressed cause you can just look at it and tell they were redoing the place. The continental free breakfast was also a pleasure - muffins, bagels, cereal, bisquits and gravy, toast, fresh donuts from like Krispy creme or some place like that, packets of grits, just to name a few of the items. coffee, tea, juice etc. GREAT JOB ON THE RENOVATIONS!!!!!

I WILL STAY HERE AGAIN NEXT TIME IM IN THE TALLAHASSEE AREA.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)