“Clean and efficient. Conveniently located.”

Courtyard Tallahassee Capital
Ranked #21 of 55 Hotels in Tallahassee
Reviewed March 12, 2010

I stay at this hotel 3 or 4 times a year. It's just fine and just what I expect from Courtyard. What it really has going for it -- if you have business to conduct with the State of Florida -- is its convenient location to the Florida Capitol. Typical Courtyard and pretty much what I expect.

Pros: less than 1 mile from the Florida Capitol (can usually be there in less than 5 minutes). Rooms are always clean. Not a horrible location regarding typical business services (lots of food nearby). They keep the beer very cold. Coffee is good. Good, consistent internet connection through the hotel. The staff has always seemed very polite and have never had a problem with reservations, checkin, etc.

Cons: Not terribly well located if you're in Tallahassee for anything other than business at The Capitol. Always a few dollars more than similar hotels, especially when the Legislature is in session. It's a Courtyard, so it's really not oriented towards non-business travelers (which is fine by me, but could be an issue with others).

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Klomo

Reviewed February 21, 2010

Front desk and housekeeping were both excellent. Regarding housekeeping, my hotel room was spotless. I stayed for three nights, and housekeeping did a perfect job each day.

I was pleasantly surprised that my hotel room included a small refrigerator even though my room was not one of their suite rooms.

The fitness room was very clean and inviting, with the treadmills and elliptical machines each having their own TV attached. So you may want to bring a headset so you can also listen to the TV.

The free coffee and hot tea in the lounge tasted great and were always available 24-hours a day.

This was my first trip to Tallahassee, and I had no problems finding the hotel.

Regarding value, I got more than my money's worth since I booked via Priceline's "Name Your Own Price," which was a bargain at $50+ a night.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 5, 2010

When we got up to our room there was a terrible stench. Almost as if a pet possibly peed in that room. Not a good start. Went down to the front desk and asked for a room change. Guy on night duty not happy about that. Got a different room. Everything was fine until I peeled back the covers on the bed. There was something dark underneath the mattress sheet. So, naturally, I lifted it up and was beside myselff when I saw what I was about to sleep on. The dark spot underneath was a piece of dark thread (nothing) but what was on that matress pad was absolutely appalling. It clearly hadnt been changed in months! There were inappropriate hairs all over the matress pad as well as stains. Absolutely disgusting! How could I knowingly sleep on top of that. We go back down, explain to the desk clerk and he was not happy with us at all. Was very rude and I think he just thought we were being picky. If it had not been so late at night, trust me, I would have left right away. So we get our third room. The bed was actually clean (surprise...how it should be) however, there was a smashed cookie in the carpet, sticky soda on the night table and enough dust in there to cause an ashma attack. After the funny noise in the air conditioner we opened it and found the most filthy filter ever! I was absolutely disgusted, I actually cried out of the sheer discomfort I had for being in that room. I couldnt wait to leave.

I am not some crazy person, this was really that bad. I am not even one to post a remark or review for anything and I do stay in a lot of hotels. This has been on my to do list for quite some time, because I did not want to forget to make sure that I notify other potential travelers to this area about this disgusting hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank OhioTraveler55_5
Reviewed November 6, 2009

I expected better from a Courtyard by Marriott. This is just a glorified low-slung motel, not the usually high-rise business-oriented property you'd assume from the name. No free breakfast, and the free wi-fi was not working half the time that I was there. Front desk staff was efficient, but not entirely professional. Expensive in-room phone call (not something I ever do, but cell phone coverage was too spotty here w/ an AT&T phone).

I paid $55 including taxes & fees by bidding on Priceline, and I still think I paid too much. I'm an expert business traveler who is frequently on the road, and I don't mind staying in cheap motels (e.g., Motel 6). But this Courtyard Property was just not a comfy night's sleep, especially given the proximity to the road, thinly insulated walls and badly lit side parking lot.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 11, 2009

Stayed at this hotel several times due to meetings in the Tallahassee area, convenient to government buildings, very friendly staff the only downside they tended to screw up my marriott rewards points. one of those times I was unable to get it corrected so I decided to start staying at the Doubletree

Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 13, 2009

Like many here, I stayed here while checking out the FSU campus.

Check-in was a breeze and handled professionally by Keith. He was very helpful in helping me get my bearings and he recommended a very good Cajun restaurant nearby.

I was a bit nervous about staying here due to previous reviews but found none of them to be true for my stay. I had read one reviewer talking about a railroad but found the tracks are actually more than 4 blocks away and I didn't hear a sound.

The rooms appear to have been updated recently as the carpet appeared new, the walls freshly painted and the new Courtyard wood paneled wall units in-place. The bed was very comfortable and the shower had real tile, not the faux fiberglass shower units that I have come to hate sooo much. Water pressure was great too.

The hotel is centrally located being just a few blocks from the Capital and about two miles from the campus. In order to reach the hotel you need to take the "service road" on the right side of Apalachee Parkway, right after you pass Magnolia Drive.

Should my son attend FSU, this will be the only place I check into whenever I come up to visit.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 24, 2009

I stayed here while recruiting at FSU and it was okay. Nothing spectacular. The staff was your typical apathetic college student making minimum wage. The hotel has a terrible entrance. Unless you know the area, you will miss it. I lived in the area for 3 years and missed it completely.

The rooms are very roomy (you can probably fit several queen sized air mattresses in the living room area), but the decor is a bit dated. They don't have wireless internet access in the rooms, so you're tethered to the wall at the very tall desk (inconvenient if you're not over 6 feet tall.)

I did leave a very expensive facial cleanser in the room accidentally and when I called to see if housekeeping had found it, it took several days for a call back and unsurprisingly, they did not know what I was talking about.

The hotel doesn't allow pets.

I got a room facing the courtyard, but I couldn't enjoy it because all of my neighbors were smoking outside and it was rather unpleasant.

I would stay at this hotel again, but only because I don't have to pay for it and I get 10 points for every dollar spent at the Marriott. However, if I'm looking for a vacation spot, I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

If you're looking for a hotel for business purposes, this works fine, but not if you're paying for it out of your own pocket. It's a bit pricey for what it is.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business