“wonderful selections”
Review of Po'Boys Creole Cafe - CLOSED

Po'Boys Creole Cafe
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Wife and I went for early dinner recently. service was great, lots of concern and help. We had po boy sandwiches and poppers. everything was done fast and great eating

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Been back to this place a few times in my trips to Tallahassee, one of my faves fer sure! One of the few places I know that has actual Gator Tail, the Oyster Po-boys are fantastic, fried pickles,onion rings, and more... Great place to catch a game while out. and the beverages are always cold for those days you feel parched. The service is great! very attentive. It does get crowded and there is a great back patio. Swing by, you won't be disappointed, unless you are not into sports bar scene.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

They brought me a cup of coffee with a half-inch cockroach floating on the surface. When I showed it to the waitress and asked how it got there, she said "Maybe it was in the coffee pot..." I was with a friend who invited me there, so I didn't want to call the manager. It was my first time in this restaurant and of course I never went back. No second chance for them!

1  Thank I K
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The fried dill pickles are soooo delicious. Food made to order, plentiful, and tasty.
Most weekends music on the patio.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Pathetic.

Po'Boys Creole Cafe ... boy, they sure do stretch the meaning of the words "Creole" and "cafe"; there is nothing Creole or cafe about this place.

If I could give this dump a zero-star rating, I would. My girlfriend and I ate here after purchasing a groupon online. Let me tell you, the discount wasn't worth it.

The food ... dry, over-microwaved frozen food with a little bit of seasoning (and I do mean a little bit, to the point of being bland and under-seasoned) sporadically thrown on ... is a slap in the face to real Creole and Cajun cooking.

I had a MudBug burger ... great concept, failed follow-through. You should probably season the burger patty to go with the crawfish (and maybe include more than three tiny pieces of crawfish on the burger). Unseasoned meat is not appetizing. Another tip ... slather on the sauce; the burger was dry, especially for one featuring a fried food inside. You should also provide a little garnish with the burger ... a little lettuce, onion and tomato (you know, traditional hamburger garnish) isn't that expensive and would help your food tremendously.

My girlfriend had the French Dip ... which came with a huge vat of au jus. Seriously, a smaller cup would suffice. I am willing to bet that they recycle the side sauce from table to table. The sandwich itself barely featured bland, tasteless meat ... it would have helped if the meat covered the sandwich evenly from end to end. She said the only good thing about her sandwich was the bread.

The cajun fries ... what a joke. Deep frying some frozen Ore Ida crinkle cuts and dashing it with a tad of seasoned salt does NOT make them "cajun-style". We also had the cheese fries; the same frozen garbage with a little melted cheese on top. They were incredibly soggy and terribly disgusting. You should try to batter dip some fresh cut spuds, quick fry them, season/cheese them and then crisp them in the oven. That is neither very hard nor very expensive, and it would improve the quality of your food a million-fold.

Finally for dessert: the chocolate bread pudding; dry, rubbery, and tasteless. If you have trouble using a fork on BREAD PUDDING, there is a problem. We couldn't even use a knife on this bad boy. It also tasted like all you did was sprinkle some Nestle Quik over some bread and nuked it on high for about 10 minutes ... then threw a spot (literally, a spot) of powdered sugar. For God's sake, if you feel you must re-heat pre-cooked food, USE A STEAMER ... it keeps food moist and delicious.

Now, on to the service. We were seated with a menu ... no silverware or napkins. The waitress took our order ... still no silverware or napkins. We were brought our drinks ... you guessed it, no silverware or napkins. Our food finally arrived ... can we please get some silverware and napkins? Perhaps we should wipe our greasy fingers from eating these soggy cheese fries all over our clothes? She had no problem remembering to bring us our bill, though .... dang it.

Now ... we didn't get anything from the bar, which is what I am sure is this place's bread and butter. In fact, the only way to enjoy the food or even remotely think you are eating tasty Creole/Cajun food is to be wasted out of your gourd. That is why they should remove the word "cafe" from their name ... this is more of a bar and grille ... minus the grille and add a deep fryer (and obviously a microwave).

In other words ... if you're looking for a place to get drunk and eat lousy food while watching some sports, this is your kind of place. Don't expect anything tasty to eat. Don't expect what the sign advertises ... a Creole Cafe. As for me ... I'll do my drinking at a bar and my eating at a cafe that actually cares about serving quality food. I don't think I would even return to this place to fetch a lost wallet ... I would just cancel my cards and get new ones.