“A darn good steak and impressive appetizers”

Marie Livingston's Texas Steakhouse and Saloon
Ranked #68 of 830 Restaurants in Tallahassee
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Marie Livingstons is an interesting restaurant. The decor is upscale, yet in a small town sort of way. A few extra touches by an experienced decorator would make a big difference. Mind you, it is not a drawback, just an observation. But let's get to what really matters: the food and the service. Fried Mushrooms were ample and outstanding, with a good horseradish dipping sauce. Grilled Shrimp app was outstanding. Large gulf shrimp grilled perfectly with a tangy rub that, when dipped in the accompanying remoulade, was something I could have made a delicious meal out of. Highly recommend. Filet was large, tender and pretty well prepared. Asked for medium, cut into at the request of our busy server and agreed with him that it was much closer to medium-rare, but turned down his unsolicited offer to return it to the fire (as I have a personal policy not to return items to the kitchen...call me paranoid). Nonetheless, I enjoyed the steak which was swimming in a welcomed bath of Marie Livingston's au jus-style steak "sauce" that really is fantastic. The side loaded baked potato was fine, not noteworthy, but fine. Admit to surprise at the $1 up charge for the "loaded" part, especially since the loading was sparse. Warm yeast rolls and sweet butter are excellent, very warm and melt-in-your-mouth good. Side salad is small and average. Brownie Pie was decent, and at $6.99 should have had more chocolate sauce and a scoop of vanilla to justify the price.
Overall, what Marie does well she does quite well. The rest is average; again- not bad, but average. Service was attentive, glasses kept full, plates a little too eagerly cleared. Give it an A-. Go for the steaks , bread and appetizers. You'll leave full and happy.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

I think this restaurant has not got a really extensive menu, but it is a local favorite. Their steaks are so good, but a little too salty.

Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

We'd been to the old location of this restaurant in a motel off North Monroe north of I-10 a few years ago. We weren't impressed at all by the food then. The new location on Appalachee Parkway is grander and seems very popular. Our party of five arrived early on a Sunday evening. We were seated promptly at a large round table for eight people.
Seating was awkward as the table was so close to another occupied table that the chair next to our guest of honor couldn't be occupied. That left one person in our party sitting with 3 empty chairs surrounding him on both sides. Awkward.
Menus and drink orders arrived in timely fashion. Bread rolls were OK but seemed oddly sweet. I ordered a half rack of ribs while the other adults ordered some form of steak. After about fifteen minutes, the server told me they were still cooking ribs and they would take another forty- five minutes. Second awkward. Since I didn't want to hold up everyone's meal, I changed my order to a small filet. This upped the price by almost $10.00, but my choice. I just wish I'd been told about the ribs earlier so I could have looked at the menu more carefully. My salad arrived quickly. It tasted fine and crisp. The main course arrived shortly after. Presentation was a little strange as the small filet sat on a large white plate next to a very small sweet potato. Maybe they're used to folks ordering gigantic steaks, but my food looked stingy on all that white porcelain.
I know meat is expensive, but the cost of a small filet is over $20.00. The filet was very tender to cut but when I tasted it there was the unmistakeable taste of A1 Steak Sauce. I've never heard of a fine dining restaurant putting steak sauce on a piece of meat in the kitchen without its being requested. Awkward number 3! My husband told me later his filet came the same way. Had we been dining alone we would have sent the filets back. Are they hiding bland taste? In the interest of maintaining a pleasant dining birthday atmosphere, we let it go. It took a long time for our waiter to clear our table and after desert, a long time to bring the check. On the way out we noticed lots of empty tables but also lots of people waiting to be seated. I would give this restaurant another chance. But
I'd choose one or two alternative meals before ordering, just in case. Also, I'd request no steak sauce. Just bring me
the bottle and I'll use it if I wish. The ambience in this place is upscale. But the quality of the food and the awkward presentation and seating put it in the "just average" category. If it looked like a rustic barbeque chain restaurant, it would match the food better, although I've had much better meals at rustic barbeque chains!

Reviewed September 9, 2012

We like the atmosphere, the food and the service here! Great place for drinks and dates as well as work dinners. Love the sides and the key lime pie!

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Wanting a steak, Judi and I went to Marie's this evening for dinner. Had we realized that it was an FSU home game weekend we might have picked another night because the place was packed and the wait was almost an hour. However, it was most certainly worth the wait!

After a couple of drinks, we were ushered into a booth and Will, our server, came immediately to take our drink and appetizer order. We had the fried mushrooms with horseradish sauce and the spicy Thai shrimp. Both were excellent and the portions almost large enough to make a meal!

Then came our house salads (included in the meal). The blue cheese dressing was delicious, with big chunks of cheese. Perfectly crisp croutons made it a really good "house" salad.

The best drink deal in the house is certainly the "flight" of three South African wines - one delightful white and two bold and delicious reds for $10! Now that is a deal even if the wines aren't good, but these were delicious!

Judi got the 9 oz filet and I got the house specialty 20 oz bone-in ribeye. Both were ordered medium rare and they were cooked to perfection. Marie's signature sauce - sort of a worcestershire/soy/red wine combination - complemented the steaks perfectly. There was a perfect sear to the exterior and the meat was melt-in-your-mouth tender. We both got baked potatoes and as silly as it may sound most places screw them up. These were perfectly tender with crisp, salted skins.

Chocolate cake for dessert just topped off the meal.

Our server, Will, did an excellent job of keeping up with our needs and his demeanor and personality was delightful.

It had been some time since I had been to Marie's, but we will be back very soon. The value, the decor, the menu, the quality, the service were all superb. To top it off, when we left the hostess, Marie's daughter, called me by name. Now, that is rare.

1  Thank DavidBTallahassee