“What I Didn't Get....”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Fairfax, VA
“What I Didn't Get....”
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Once I negotiated the local side streets and found the hotel, it was typical Hampton Inn. Clean, quiet, reasonably comfortable and in an area that is close to shops and restaurants. However there were several items which took the experience down a couple of notches for me. First, the room description on the Hampton Inn web site said that I would be getting a suite. Apparently, Studio Suite is a clearer description. It seemed like a standard room with the addition of a small wet bar area that had a frig and microwave. Second, the wireless internet was slow and inconsistent. This was despite multiple wireless access points on the hallway that I was in. Third, the heat did not seem to really warm the room. Luckily it wasn't too cold outside. Finally, I did not receive a weekday newspaper like every other room close to me. Did they forget me? Did someone take the paper? Certainly I would think that an added benefit of a suite would be a free newspaper.

The one bright spot of the stay was the crock pot of real oatmeal at the breakfast. That was certainly nice to have since instant oatmeal really doesn't taste that good to me.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
TallahasseeGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Tallahassee I-10 - Thomasville Rd, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Dear TravellerMH,

We appreiciate your staying with us and for your feedback via this review! I wanted to apologize for posting this response so late, but I did want to research and find some resolution to the internet issue that you commented on!

I also wanted to address some of the other opportunities that you experienced during your stay. We do have 37 King Studio Suites, and this wording should be listed on both the Hampton Inn website as well as the Hampton Inn & Suites Tallahassee site. If you have the address of the website that does not state "studio", please let me know so that I can resolve that as soon as possible. I know that the difference between what one would think of as a "suite" and a "studio suite" are very different things, and I would not want anyone else to be inconvenienced because of an inadequate description. Showing up and expecting two rooms and only getting one, could certainly rain on anyone's parade!

We do deliver the USA Today newspaper to the room all of our Hilton Honors guests; however, a newspaper is available to all of our guests in the kiosk, downstairs. If you would like yours delivered, we would be happy to do so if you will note the request with our front desk at check-in!

We always want to know of the opportunities with any air-conditioning or heating experienced by our guests, as most of those can be resolved right away!

Lastly, and I think by far the most important in today's corporate atmosphere, is the note on our internet speeds. We have researched this, internally, and found that our speeds are certainly not what we thought them to be. We are working diligently to increase our speeds to 100Mbps. Please be assured that, in the very near future, we will be adding a secondary feed to increase our speeds. This will ensure that all of our guests experience the best leisure/business accommodations available with regards to internet.

Again, thank you so much for your feedback. If guests like you did not bring these things to our attention, we would be below average. We work very hard to make sure that we are at the top in our industry, and the chance to take action on your comments is a privilege. I would very much appreciate the chance to have you with us, again!

Krista Alfaro, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Nice location , decent price, nice accommodations. Several places nearby to eat (don't go to Outback).
Starbuck's nearby.
Our bed was crappily made, but other than that the bed was comfy as well as the room.

• Stayed December 2011
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights for a business trip. Very friendly staff. I had a slight isue upon arrival regarding my bed linen and it was quickly attended to. The breakfast each morning was great! I enjoyed their in room coffee which I am usually not a fan of. A very cozy hotel with cookies offered in the evening. Will return there when back in Tallahassee.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Central Queensland
Reviewed December 15, 2011

This was just a quick stopover in Tallahassee, and the Hampton Inn provided just what we were looking for. Somewhere clean and comfortable to spend the night.

While checking in, we were offered some supper, but declined and was pointed in the direction of local restaurants (TGI Fridays is just across the road). The room was spotless and nicely appointed.

We did have breakfast in the morning, and it was interesting to see the rapport the staff in the breakfast area had with obviously return guests, they were treated like family! Nice.

Even though all the Hampton Inn's look alike, I'm sure they can only aspire to have the kind of staff this one has.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Great place to stay that is outside of metro Tallahassee, but still has accomidations and restaurants nearby. Clean, good service. Stayed here while travleing for business. Had to go into Tallahassee early the next morning. I was at my appointment in no time. Will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Southeast Florida
Reviewed November 5, 2011

We stayed here in October for 2 nights while attending the FSU Parent Weekend event.

Upon walking into the lobby, I saw a clean, new feeling and comfortable area that was decorated nicely. The front desk personnel were very friendly and in a few moments we were in our room.

I have to stress that Hampton Suites are nice rooms. This one felt wonderful. The color schemes were relaxing, the bathroom was recently renovated and had nice new fixtures. The air conditioning unit was soooo quiet and was placed such that it cooled the room but did NOT blow on you at night, as so many other properties do. The room was large and had a mini kitchen space in the entry, with sink, microwave, and small fridge. The bed was very comfortable and the soundproofing excellent.

Our housekeeping service was just fine, and had no issues.

One item that added to the decor of the property; Just in back of the property was a patio area that had a Gas Fireplace. It just looked and felt cozy.

Now I have stayed at the Staybridge Suite (Rated # 1 in Tallahassee) and the Hampton I-10 (Rated # 2) and given the quality and proximity of the Hampton to FSU would dearly love to stay here every visit.

The differentiating reality between both properties is the points stay structure Hilton has decided upon, back in the past when they increased their hotel points needed to a minimum of 30,000 points a night. Recently, Hilton began a program of denying their top tier of frequent guest HHONORS members the ability to upgrade a room if available when using points for stays. And also, I noticed that the hotels now have the ability to drive up the minimum points requirements for a stay BY ROOM TYPE or in the event of a forecast large demand in the area, such as a college football game, charge an INSANE amount of points per night. Such was the observation when the Doubletree Tallahassee was asking 165,000 points per night for a standard Queen non-smoking. The latest Hilton game was to assign certain numbers of room available to "points stays" regardless of overall room availability.

Thankfully, Intercontinental Hotel Groups Priority Club program has seen fit to keep points stays affordable, generally give out more points per stay, dictate that any room available could be used for points stays if available, not ramp up the point requirement based on area demand, allow top tier frequent stay guests in the Priority Club the ability to be upgraded on point stays to a better room, and offer options consistently to combine points and dollars.

This background information drives me to ratify the Hampton Inn's # 2 spot in Tallahassee, given they are saddled with Hilton's HHONORS point profiteering scheme and leave the Staybridge with the #1 spot. If the Frequent Points program perks and treatment were equal for Hilton compared to the Priority Club, I'd without a doubt name the Hampton Inn & Suites I-10 in Tallahassee # 1.

Room Tip: Get a suite