“Something for everyone ”
Review of Nefetari's

Nefetari's
Ranked #99 of 823 Restaurants in Tallahassee
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

This place is eclectic in food and decor. It was such a cool vibe and like nothing I've ever been to before. The menu is very unique offering something for everyone whether you are vegan, vegetarian, or a meat eater. Whether you are craving Italian, Indian, Ethiopian, Mexican or whatever you can find it here and everything is made from scratch including the delicious desserts. I had the Ethiopian stew and it was so flavorful. I followed this up with chocolate vegan cake in their sample size which was a genius move on their part...perfect size! Finally the service was great. Very friendly and they genuinely care about their customer's experience.

1  Thank NC_BeachGurl

Reviewed August 20, 2014

Went by Tripadvisor ranking and what an amazing find! Big space with African/Egyptian decor (a bit confusing with mixed type of chairs/booths) and colorful walls. There is a small room - Lotus room - it was beautiful and inviting. I liked the decor of this room over the main space - it was very chic/clean and smelled very nice. Menu has dishes from many corners of the world so perfect of a group of people who can't agree on one cuisine or want more than one vegetarian/vegan choice on the menu. We were greeted by a stuffed lion (real) in the lobby area and promptly seated. Our server was very friendly and patient as she explained all the dishes when we had multiple questions. We got two samples of in-house drinks - Hibiscus tea (too sweet even with organic sugar) & fresh Ginger drink (super yummy for a ginger lover).
Service & food was terrific. I had two appz - fried cauliflower (a good kick - no pic) and the Fish Taco (with Cobia fish, cold slaw and yummy dressing that was sweet/sour). Other dishes on the table included grilled Cobia with pineapple, clod slaw and garlic mash sides. Cold slaw could have used some salt/celery seeds or some acid. Ethiopian stew with chicken was yummy with sides of potato trio and Talking spinach - all the items were served over injera (Ethiopian bread). Tried a sample of red wine - good concept but instead of a 2 oz taste pour, I got wine in a shot glass - that was not good at all. But the Dessert Samplers (not full portion) were just perfect in size with great prices.I had the pistachio cheese cake - supper delicious- light but packed with intense flavors - you could taste the pureness of the good quality ingredients that went in there. The dish would have been even better without the whip cream (looked like it was from a can). The other two desserts on the table were Red velvet cake & vegan chocolate cake (no pic). Owner Dr. Sharon Denardo stopped by the table and had a lovely chat with us. You could clearly feel her passion for food and service! She told us how the space is used for variety of community based events on Mondays when the restaurant is used to feature local artists, networking events etc. She also showed us the little store that features some hand made jewelery by her daughter. I can't believe this place is just about 1 year old. Wish them continued success and if I ever come back to Tallahassee, I will be back to try more dishes!

3  Thank StingrayNJ
Reviewed August 4, 2014

This was a nice find. It can be hard to find with a GPS and where the GPS says it is and where it really is can be different. We tried to go and visit this place before, but on our first visit they were closed (not open on Mondays or Tuesdays). It was worth the effort to try again. I had the Forbidden black rice with Chicken, wow.. absolutely beautiful and the pineapple-habanero sauce was great. Service was very good. Reservations on the weekend would be recommended.

Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

My family and I visited this evening on the recommendation of a friend and we were quite impressed with the atmosphere and the customer service. Prices are reasonable for the type of cuisine served. I would recommend you visit this establishment. Dr. Anthony Spivey.

1  Thank Anthony S
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Somewhat hidden, Nefetari is located just south of Gaines, on South Macomb (Google Maps show it on the east side of the street; it is on the west). It is located just across from VooDoo Dogs. It is more than worth looking for.

Seven of us dined at Nefetari's last night. It was the first time for five us and no one was disappointed!

The restaurant is located in a large, one-story building. Greeted by a stuffed lion (real, but, sadly, dead), the restaurant is a large open room, decorated with African primitive art, nice furniture, and colorful walls (which I liked). There is also a stage on one side of the room from where we were entertained by a very talented musical group. There is also a small bar.

Our server, the bar tender, and the owner (?) greeted us professionally and warmly! They all made us feel as if they were happy we were there. Service was without flaw.

Most importantly, the food was terrific. We shared two starters: the hummus and the fried cauliflower fritters. The cauliflower fritters were spicy, which I have no problem with, but if you have sensitive taste buds you might want to try something milder. Four of us had the Ethiopian stew. I had mine with lamb while the others had it which chicken. It comes with two sides (I had rice and collards). It is also served in injera, an Ethiopian bread, which is intended to be used to eat the meal with. (Silverware is, however, provided). What a taste sensation. The other three of our guests had the child's fried shrimp, pad thai, and the red snapper. I'd order any of them, they were so good. For dessert we had three different cheese cakes, the best red velvet cake I've ever had, and a slice of peach pie. Fantastic.

Nefetari's has placed itself on my "favorite" restaurants in Tallahassee. Can't wait to return.

1  Thank HeadofSpreesUS