“Parking!”

Ranked #1 of 830 Restaurants in Tallahassee
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Went here for lunch - good food, service but parking is excruciating. There just isn't any. Unless you can walk, go elsewhere

1  Thank Vicki K

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Kool Beanz is a dining olio: Mix together the ambiance of a college town cafe (load and proud - FSU), with animal art for sale on the walls like a too-cool California beach town, with the smart, bubbly hokiness of t-shirted staff (Think Globally, Eat Locally was today's message), with a creative menu pegged for upscale palates, with an artsy wine list glued to a wine bottle on each table (ditto beer list), and with the decor Mel's Diner (outdoor or indoor). Kool Beanz pulls it all off, thanks to fantastic food and a wonderful attitude. These folks are good, and they love to share it. Best gazpacho we have eaten in the US; best crab cakes we have eaten in the South. Fresh salads. Excellent sauces. My wife and I rarely pay attention to other customers - at Kool Beanz we stared at other tables' meal choices to see how the food was presented and then we listened for the 'yums' and 'oohs.' (OK, Kool Beanz made us into gastronomic voyeurs). Dress casually, bring an appetite and a smile, and enjoy the quirkiness. Beanz Appetit.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

My husband and I moved to Tallahassee 2 years ago and we have tried dozens of restaurants and this is incredible. The menu is unique, and sophisticated. The perfect outing for a foodie.

Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

My husband had been here before while on a business trip so he decided to take us there when we visited Tally as a family. Very good food. All four of us ordered something different and we all enjoyed it. What a great find in Tally. I'm sure we will be back when we get back to Tally.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

First off, don't assume the menu they post online is what the menu will be when you get there. I had planned ahead, reviewing their menu, and deciding upon what I wanted before I got there. Of course, my top two choices were not on the menu when we actually arrived at the restaurant. If you are going to post your menu online, make sure it is indeed what you are serving, otherwise don't post it. Additionally, the prices at the restaurant were slightly higher than they were on the menu online.

I finally decided upon an order of mahi mahi crusted with crushed tortilla and served over rice mixed with pinto beans. My partner wanted lobster and pasta, but they were out of the lobster and offered to substitute shrimp at a reduced price. She went for that. Both meals were very good and nicely presented, although I believe I would have preferred the fish to have been crusted in something other crushed tortilla. We split a salad that was provided on two separate plates and was generous enough in proportions that it didn't seem like it was one salad that was split. We passed on dessert, although the choices looked good. We were just full.

Our server was attentive and had a good attitude/personality.

A word about their motto, "EAT, DRINK, & TALK LOUD – YOU'RE AMONG FRIENDS!". It really is loud. The restaurant is not very large and in the part of the restaurant we were in, you are close to small bar area and to the kitchen action. I personally prefer a little quieter environment for dinner, so that is part of the reason why a gave this restaurant a 4 as opposed to a 5. This may not be an issue for some, but it is for me. To me, their motto is an attempt to take a negative they can't control short of moving to a more spacious location and turning it into a positive in some way.

Our total bill for two was around $50.