Open today: 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Review Highlights
A Tallahassee Gem

Traveled to Orlando for The Thanksgiving holiday. Usually when I’m traveling on pleasure I like to... read more

Reviewed November 27, 2018
DivaRouge
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
via mobile
Pleasant Surprise near downtown Tallahassee

The Riley house provides a snapshot of African-American history in Tallahassee. Most amazing part... read more

Reviewed April 11, 2017
Albert M

See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed March 5, 2016

Very interesting little museum, providing great insight into an aspect of history the USA seem to be rather keen to forget - that of black America. As recent events prove, there are still plenty of racial tensions in the US.

There are too few museums like this in the USA, I would say.

Date of experience: February 2016
1  Thank teturtia
Reviewed August 3, 2015

We travel from CT. to TLH every May for the Emancipation week celebration. Our family has a big Emancipation Day celebration and we try to always include the Riley House & Museum on this annual pilgrimage .

Date of experience: May 2015
1  Thank Teri C
Reviewed July 8, 2015

This is a very small museum. You probably could not take more than 40 minutes to tour it if you tried. That being said, what it offers is unique and informative. I saw the Civil War Spies exhibit. It was very interesting and well done. It highlighted African American and female spies; information I knew nothing about. The young man who told us about the house was well informed and able to answer our questions. If you like history this is a good place to visit. I think the suggested donation to visit is $2.00, but we weren't asked for any money.

Date of experience: July 2015
2  Thank Vitarachel
Reviewed April 18, 2015 via mobile

The historic home has much to offer in architectural style and historical references. Its location says a lot about Black history, both past and present. Mr Riley sits in his office and speaks frequently - a startling surprise to many visitors.

Date of experience: April 2015
1  Thank Pat S
Reviewed February 18, 2015

Although we liked the museum, we were not impressed with the tour guide. I think she was a student, who really was not knowledgeable about the museum. Loved visiting the area!

Date of experience: March 2014